Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 5 - unofficially announced but you'll have to wait

jackofshadows

Magister
Personally, I think the second one is the future for the Classic Fallouts as games. Not by Bethesda of course, but by fans. Which would be awsome
But why? Why would you want such remakes at all?

Lemming42

Arcane
They can't really remake Morrowind because they'd be competing against Skywind. Bethesda are a generic evil company but they're aware of their perceived good relationship with modders, and they're keenly aware that sending a cease and desist to the Skywind team to clear the way for their own inferior remake would make everyone utterly despise them. I think there's a similar Oblivion remake underway.

They've sort of locked themselves out of re-releasing Skyrim again because it's become a meme at this point. After resting on their rapidly-declining laurels, the only way for them to go now is forward. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't got a clue what to do for TES VI and Fallout 5 at this point, though, and they're just trying to keep the hype machine going to keep people's interest up despite the fact it's now been over a decade since their last unambiguously well-received release, and that Fallout is more or less a dead franchise now thanks to them shitting out two big soulless failures.

It's so strange to think that they had such a good run from Morrowind through to Skyrim - Morrowind 2002, Oblivion 2006, Fallout 3 2008, published New Vegas 2010, Skyrim 2011. A new critically acclaimed (by the mainstream, at least) blockbuster every couple years. Contrast that with the last decade - only two releases, Fo4 and Fo76, and they're both unanimously considered to be total shit. Looks like they've got another boring waste of time on the way with Shitfield. What the hell went wrong for them?

If Starfield doesn't end up getting bashed for it I can see them ditching the themepark world design of their previous games (FO4 felt like their smallest yet) for some procgen'ed long distances between settlements/POIs intended for vehicle or overland map travel.

None

Scholar
But why? Why would you want such remakes at all?
If it came with better modding tools and workflows I'd buy it for that fact alone. As it is, modding Fallout 2 is something of a nightmare and some parts are borderline esoteric.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
It's so strange to think that they had such a good run from Morrowind through to Skyrim - Morrowind 2002, Oblivion 2006, Fallout 3 2008, published New Vegas 2010, Skyrim 2011. A new critically acclaimed (by the mainstream, at least) blockbuster every couple years. Contrast that with the last decade - only two releases, Fo4 and Fo76, and they're both unanimously considered to be total shit. Looks like they've got another boring waste of time on the way with Shitfield. What the hell went wrong for them?
I don't know - but if I'm Microsoft I'm taking the keys to the Elder Scrolls/Fallout away from Bethesda and getting other studios to start making them.

Buying a studio so you can sit and wait till 2027-2030 for their most profitable franchises is a shit investment.

Joyvankek

Learned
Imagine if Bethshit decides to "remaster/remake" both of them and then removing both original games from sale upon release.
I wouldn't be surprised at this point. Not only these faggots forgot how to make games, and just keep on releasing Skyrim over and over again. Know their own engine less than modders, but the engine itself is a fucking ancient pice of shit.
To think they used to be company that tried to innovate hard, just look Daggerfall was, sure it was buggy like hell, but for that time? Game was impressive. How the mighty have fallen.
On top of all that, they're acting like EA at this point.

What we actually do know now is that it's going to be called Fallout 5, and not being made by Obsidian.
Obsidian is not made up of the same people that made F:NV anymore. Just look at The Outer Worlds.
They will end up like Bioware. A bunch of incompetent transvestites will wear the company name like a meatsuit to bait people, to buy their garbage.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What great news. Bethesda is coming out with some exciting games like Starfield and the most anticipated game of all ES6
Is anyone actually excited for TES6? Starfield seems to have met with a very tepid reception, and I don't really see people chomping at the bits to play TESVI.

wishbonetail

Learned
What great news. Bethesda is coming out with some exciting games like Starfield and the most anticipated game of all ES6
Is anyone actually excited for TES6? Starfield seems to have met with a very tepid reception, and I don't really see people chomping at the bits to play TESVI.
They just should've done ES in space spinoff. That would've been fun.

BruceVC

Magister
Yes Im genuinely very excited, I love Bethesda games. Modded of course :salute:

BruceVC

Magister
They just should've done ES in space spinoff. That would've been fun.
ES scrolls in space? No that doesnt make sense or appeal to me at all ....the ES is a fantasy world, its not a Sci-fi theme?

jackofshadows

Magister
To think they used to be company that tried to innovate hard, just look Daggerfall was, sure it was buggy like hell, but for that time? Game was impressive. How the mighty have fallen.
They hasn't fallen anywhere yet. I think it's fair to call the Starfield showcase unipressive in terms of art direction, gunplay, performance and so on but at the same time it's an extremely ambitious game. Both ship and settlement customisation looks very promising and the chosen scale is just as insane as it was in Daggerfall. Say what you want about Bethesda but they really can into scaling so I expect SF world to feel much less samey than it was with DF.

As for bugs and overall junkiness I don't get why people give Beth slack in DF (nostalgia apparently) but not today. That's the price for getting an ambitious product. Pretty much the same for CP77 case, by the way.

wishbonetail

Learned
They hasn't fallen anywhere yet. I think it's fair to call the Starfield showcase unipressive in terms of art direction, gunplay, performance and so on but at the same time it's an extremely ambitious game. Both ship and settlement customisation looks very promising and the chosen scale is just as insane as it was in Daggerfall. Say what you want about Bethesda but they really can into scaling so I expect SF world to feel much less samey than it was with DF.

As for bugs and overall junkiness I don't get why people give Beth slack in DF (nostalgia apparently) but not today. That's the price for getting an ambitious product. Pretty much the same for CP77 case, by the way.
And it will be bloated and empty world with samey activities throughout. And, as always, the real quality content will be in smaller DLCs.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
After seeing what Beth did to Fallout in Fallout 4, I'm not too enthused.
Yay, more nonsensical world building aimed at the lowest common denominator, even more "streamlined" role play mechanics because character building and actual ramifications for your decisions is hard for zoomers, and guns that look like cobbled together pieces of shit because "lol, it's the post apocalypse, everything is shit. Even when it's been 200 years after the bombs fell".
And all with a repetitive gameplay loop of search dungeon, kill shit, find randomly generated, mediocre loot, rinse and repeat.

Oh, and you bet they're going to bring back the Enclave again, because can't let a generic villain go to waste.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
And it will be bloated and empty world with samey activities throughout. And, as always, the real quality content will be in smaller DLCs.
Probably. Then again, I'm not a DF fan. Or fan of any Beth game for that matter. I don't see the point of making this huge world in a single player game just to give player something to do endlessly in principle. Nor incorporating their own minecraft spin on it in a hope that people will spend unadeqate amounts of time with that. In general, I think sandbox design is meant for multiplayer games.
After seeing what Beth did to Fallout in Fallout 4, I'm not too enthused.
Yay, more nonsensical world building aimed at the lowest common denominator, even more "streamlined" role play mechanics because character building and actual ramifications for your decisions is hard for zoomers, and guns that look like cobbled together pieces of shit because "lol, it's the post apocalypse, everything is shit. Even when it's been 200 years after the bombs fell".
And all with a repetitive gameplay loop of search dungeon, kill shit, find randomly generated, mediocre loot, rinse and repeat.

Oh, and you bet they're going to bring back the Enclave again, because can't let a generic villain go to waste.
A safe bet and yet I think there's a chance for fresh approach and something again, ambitious. Like remember how F4 starts in the pre-war time but only for a few specific shots and overall contrast. Imagine if they'll decide to massively expand on that idea and allow us to change stuff there to watch the consequences later. It's called Fallout, after all.

Or if SF's minecraftish thing will get success (hardly) they could double down on it in F5 and then we'd see not just a shooter with RPG flavour but something with meaningful management mechanics.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Maybe, but they would have to do it in such a way as to avoid using cryostasis, because otherwise it's just Fallout 4.
I guess they could introduce time travel, but that'll really be jumping the shark and will introduce all sorts of ramifications.
Maybe they could make the player a ghoul or a machine? That'll be different, but I'm not sure players would want to play as a zombie.

Or maybe you play as one character in the opening act, and then play as his or her's descendant later, with the character you built in the first act influencing the appearance of the character for the rest of the game. So you don't actually play as the character you built, but a derivation of him. Sort of like what they did with Father in FO4, but in reverse.

I mean, all of that is possible and could be interesting, but we know Beth are lazy buggers who make modders do their job for them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom