Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

overly excitable young man

I always forget about how you can connect the walkie talkie to the console to turn the shields off.
Really unintuitive and weird tbh.

typical user

Arbiter
I remember when I accepted the quest to get rid of squatters on some farm and they killed me over and over with high grade military equipment. .223 pistol was almost worth it if not for the annoying loud firing sound.

DraQ

Arcane
It's called nucular.
It's unclear whether it actually is.
:smug:
I remember when I accepted the quest to get rid of squatters on some farm and they killed me over and over with high grade military equipment. .223 pistol was almost worth it if not for the annoying loud firing sound.
You misspelled "awesome".

Reality

Learned
I did a full "Big Guns' playthrough of Fallout 1 despite the game not being designed to support that...

Really once you get to the Hub, you can get a flamer and since you know you won't need other stuff, you can get enough ammo for it to do all random encounters and otehr main areas. The RPG and Chaingun are basically "only use within the Cathedral/Maroposa Base" while scavening ammo as you go within those dungeons, and then dumped again when you leave.

The flamer also works in a strange way outside of the normal ranged accuracy formulas, and you can kill multible goons with one shot with it, unlike fallout 2, as well as letting you fight deathclaws without having all the critical hit perks etc like a small guns playthrough. I was the Friendly Fire this time IAN

The Jester

Cipher
Umm...talk about Fallout?

Well, start talking then. Surely someone will pick up on what you have to say as a thread starter and things will evolve from thereon. :salute:
Ok so I remember first time that I beat the game, at the final cut sense with overseer when he told me that he can't allow me into vault my jaw was dropped, I wasn't paying attention to game after that my mind was so busy and then BANG!
I heard gun shout I said to myself : Wait...I didn't touched anything, neither the mouse nor the keyboard, so the first thought that came to my mind was: that's it! the motherfucker killed Vault Dweller to eliminate the danger that threatened Vault forever...BUT when I looked at the monitor, I saw something completely different
Something I wasn't ready for at all
Vault Dweller held his 10mm pistol at the air
And the overseer was torn in two, his intestines stretched out on the ground as he Crawled toward the door, even at the last moment he was just thinking about the Vault.
And for a few seconds I just stared. My brain was still trying to figure out exactly what the hell just happened.
What I didn't understand was that my Vault Dweller karma was completely positive throughout the game, I always helped good people without asking for rewards.
The conclusion I reached was that Vault Dweller at that moment had enough.
He traveled all over wasteland to find the water chip for Vault
And he was again asked to destroy a legion of mutant super soldiers
And now that he was back, Is this how he welcomed? to be told in the face to fuck off? he ran out of patience and in an instant he saw nothing but blood.
At end of the day "Vault Dweller isn't me"
And then I later learned that this happened because of bloody mess perk, HAHAHAHA good times.

The Jester

Cipher
I always forget about how you can connect the walkie talkie to the console to turn the shields off.
Really unintuitive and weird tbh.
Aghhhhh that military base always is a pain in the ass, mostly because I can't resist the temptation to kill the super mutants for that sweet XP.:negative:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am of the (at least previously considered) miserable bunch who started the series with number 2 at either late ’98 or early ’99 (can’t remember), and thus can not hate the second game as passionately as some, who started appropriately, do, or at all as it happens, inspite the games flaws.

barghwata

Savant
I am of the (at least previously considered) miserable bunch who started the series with number 2 at either late ’98 or early ’99 (can’t remember), and thus can not hate the second game as passionately as some, who started appropriately, do, or at all as it happens, inspite the games flaws.

I envy you, i genuinely couldn't enjoy FO2 after playing FO1, even though it's a good game it's just too much of a decline.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Thing to consider is that Fallout 2 was rushed. With more time in development a lot of the bullshit would have been cut or explained.

Still, Fallout 1 truly excels at creating a genuine and believable post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Nothing ever stands close.

Duralux for Durabux

I have enjoyed Fallout 1 simply because it treats the player like a normal human being with a brain unlike other games.
I loved those little features but those make the game so awesome :
- The fact that I need to have a Geiger counter to know how much radations I have. Sounds simplistic and logic? well in modern games even in stalker it's instantly revealed in the UI. Players have to think before entering in dangerous places.
- No quest compass (amygdala, the hippocampus, the cerebellum, and the prefrontal cortex enabled while playing). Players have to read(cerebrum, Back part of the brain) to remember where they have to go.
- Minimalistic quest log( Why is it a good point?), Well it forces the player to remember the story and the characters of the game ( Again amygdala, the hippocampus, the cerebellum, and the prefrontal cortex are used while playing )because nobody repeats the same thing over and over again.
- Various possibilities of Build
- The fact that there is always lines that piss NPCs off which mean that NPCs as seem to react like real human beings
-The fact that stats induce events.
-Best villain in video games
-etc.. we all played Fallout 1
The game obliges players to think ( cogito ergo sum, Je pense donc je suis -> I think so I'm -> René Descartes,Great philosopher), in recent games players are mechanically doing the game because the game tells everything they have to do without using their brains.
Fallout 1 is the one of the few games whose doesn't treat players as complete morons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duralux for Durabux

that a lot of rpg that was released before it did.
I'm curious to know what RPGs you are talking about.
You have to give me a list , remember you said "a lot".

Last edited by a moderator:

Viata

Arcane
that a lot of rpg that was released before it did.
I'm curious to know what RPGs you are talking about.
You have to give me a list , remember you said "a lot".
The whole wizardry(which by itself is already a lot) is an example. Quest compass? You don't even have a map, nigga. You write it down or get fucked.
Minimalistic quest log? Wizardry, Ultima, Betrayal at Krondor, Darklands among others do not even have a quest journal, you have to write it or you have no idea what you are doing.
Various possibilities of Build? That is a given for games like Wizardry. In fact, any old dungeon crawler, be it turn-based or real-time, rape Fallout on this.
"-The fact that stats induce events." is something that Fallout deserve praises is also something that most people that played Fallout expect from other games(which most of the time is done really badly, like FO3).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom