Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Fallout cargo cult - Krai Mira: Extended Cut

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sometimes it does not - and then I soldier through the likes of [...] Gorasul: Legacy of the Dragon [...]. A life of an explorer is not always a bed of roses. Sometimes you have to suffer the thorns.
i bet you say so just because you lost 5th disc and couldnt experience full story!

Nah, I had the full Gorasul experience. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Narushima

Cipher
The situation simply does not make sense
Seeing how the game was released by a Ukranian studio two years after the Russian invasion of Crimea, I think there might be another meaning to it than the simple "big thing went boom".

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just dropping by to say it's a jrpg, nothing more, nothing less and it belongs in the weeaboo section.
Not completely unpleasant but i stopped before the 10 hours mark and never came back (and never will).

Still had it on my hard drive. And... Fixed!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, that game where it take your stuff more than once with bollocks finale. Even Last Days of Gaia was somewhat better...
Also wild pricing - it's 3 potatoes on Steam while potato sites offer it for 10x more.

Gorasul: Legacy of the Dragon
it still baffles me how they made full translation of absolute dogshit games back then and these days even text translation is too much to ask..
Did you finished Another War? Had that on my disc to finaly try, this and Franek Dolas RPG snatched from obscure site.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just dropping by to say it's a jrpg, nothing more, nothing less and it belongs in the weeaboo section.
Not completely unpleasant but i stopped before the 10 hours mark and never came back (and never will).

Still had it on my hard drive. And... Fixed!

It can't be a jrpg for it does not have cute, underage anime girls with huge titties. Sure, there are prostitutes in Krai Mira, sometimes even with bare, decent sized tits, but they're not anime and you can't really romance them. It's just a contractual agreement, screw the lady and pay the screws.

Also, there are no real romances at all in Krai Mira. There are usually romances in jrpgs, right? I remember in Final Fantasy VII you had options, Aeris, Tifa... Here your followers are mute for most of the time and it's not like you're creating some meaningful bonds with them.

Did you finished Another War? Had that on my disc to finaly try, this and Franek Dolas RPG snatched from obscure site.

Yes, I finished Another War and wrote a review for Really Obscure RPGs thread. You'll find it here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/really-obscure-rpgs.119370/page-9#post-5430169

What started as a really promising title quickly became tedious thanks to terribly designed combat and then ended with a whimper. This is a game in which
you kill a Lovecraftian monstrosity by throwing potato at it.
After this shit I had no hopes for the sequel and although I have it and got it to work well, I still cannot find a motivation to give it a try.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Yes, I finished Another War

Have you played Planet Alcatraz and if so, how would you compare it to Another War? Curious because PA for me pretty much has the title of "worst RPG I was willing to finish". And I'd describe it similarly to how you describe Another War: Starts off quite good and becomes tiresome as the game progresses. Always wanted to give Another War a try but I think I was turned off after finding some demo online that was pretty horrible.

Metalhearts Replicants Rampage is another Fallout-ish attempt I tried playing during lean times. Can't remember exactly why but I quit that one pretty early on.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, I finished Another War

Have you played Planet Alcatraz and if so, how would you compare it to Another War? Curious because PA for me pretty much has the title of "worst RPG I was willing to finish". And I'd describe it similarly to how you describe Another War: Starts off quite good and becomes tiresome as the game progresses. Always wanted to give Another War a try but I think I was turned off after finding some demo online that was pretty horrible.

Metalhearts Replicants Rampage is another Fallout-ish attempt I tried playing during lean times. Can't remember exactly why but I quit that one pretty early on.

I only started Planet Alcatraz a few times, but never reached very far. I heard that the game is only worth it in Russian and that the English translation is censored and butchers both humor and the plot. Might try it out one day, but I think it's more possible that I'll play Farewell to Dragons, a game on the same engine as Alcatraz.

My experiences with Metalheart were similar to yours. Started it, reached the first city, got bored. I never even got to the worst parts of this game, like repetitive fetch and kill quests. That's too bad, because the premise of this title is strangely fascinating. Basically, Fallout meets Dune.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Anyway, I guess Krai Mira is worth trying since it's quite short; Planet Alcatraz should be avoided like cancer, and Replicant Rampage? Gotta add that to my list. What else could be added to Fallout-wannabes list?

Also, what's your take on Last Days of Gaia, guys?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just played Last Days of Gaia for a few hours. The camera is as awful as in Neverwinter Nights 2. The humor is... German. Worldbulding seems kinda thin. And the rtwp combat does not offer many tactical challenges (maybe it will change in future, when I get more diverse weapons, now everyone runs with a pistol and one guy chops everyone to pieces with machete.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Your dedication to obscure rpgs has saved me lots of time and frustration in dealing with shit, so thanks for your service :salute:
Were there any good ones in the last batches you played?

PS you should submit your reviews for the frontpage, they're great quality and I'd much rather come across stuff like this than the latest popamole news

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Your dedication to obscure rpgs has saved me lots of time and frustration in dealing with shit, so thanks for your service :salute:
Were there any good ones in the last batches you played?

Not really. Since Prelude and Teudogar I mostly played at least AA games. But soon I begin Omega Syndrome and from the first hour or two I have a good feeling about it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
PS you should submit your reviews for the frontpage, they're great quality and I'd much rather come across stuff like this than the latest popamole news

Perhaps one day, I still don't think they are of frontpage quality just yet. Besides, they mostly concern older games and the frontgame seems to be dedicated to newer releases. Nevertheless, thank you!

Wunderbar

Arcane
Perhaps one day, I still don't think they are of frontpage quality just yet. Besides, they mostly concern older games and the frontgame seems to be dedicated to newer releases. Nevertheless, thank you!
infi mentioned one day how codex is starved for reviews. No one is sending any
kony have sent the outer worlds review, but it was omitted from being published on the front page because it was negative for some reason.

i remember seeing a review that was discarded because the game was deemed too obscure for the main page.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Soon I will create a general thread for reviews of obscure RPGs (since they might be unwanted on the frontpage) - for everyone willing to contribute. I've got six of those reviews so far, scattered around different threads, time to group them together.

Then the "Really Obscure RPGs" thread would remain for the sole purpose of searching, finding and presenting games lost in time to the Codex public.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Soon I will create a general thread for reviews of obscure RPGs (since they might be unwanted on the frontpage) - for everyone willing to contribute. I've got six of those reviews so far, scattered around different threads, time to group them together.

Then the "Really Obscure RPGs" thread would remain for the sole purpose of searching, finding and presenting games lost in time to the Codex public.
better make a new thread for every new review, it is easier to discuss that way.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

better make a new thread for every new review, it is easier to discuss that way.

Yes, each review would get a separate thread for discussion purposes. I'm thinking of a single thread with links to them all (not only my reviews, also those written by other people, for example Prelude to Darkness got reviewed by both me and Darth Canoli ). Anyway, for now I just updated my signature with links to all my reviews written so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom