Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout et tu (Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion)

Just did a playthrough with this. Pretty good if you have companions, which I usually don't in FO1. Sudden death by Ian is less frequent and I was able to keep Dogmeat alive all throughout the game until was forced to sacrifice him outside Mariposa base to make space for Mr Handy (was he even recruitable before? I don't remember).

Unfortunately, I was hit by what I assume is a bug, as shortly after Mariposa I got the Vault 13 game over cutscene well before the 500 days (less than a year had passed). I tried using debug mode to go back and forward in time, but that just sent me to the load screen. Well, I was pretty much done, anyway, except for the Master.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just did a playthrough with this. Pretty good if you have companions, which I usually don't in FO1. Sudden death by Ian is less frequent and I was able to keep Dogmeat alive all throughout the game until was forced to sacrifice him outside Mariposa base to make space for Mr Handy (was he even recruitable before? I don't remember).

Unfortunately, I was hit by what I assume is a bug, as shortly after Mariposa I got the Vault 13 game over cutscene well before the 500 days (less than a year had passed). I tried using debug mode to go back and forward in time, but that just sent me to the load screen. Well, I was pretty much done, anyway, except for the Master.
There's an eyebot in The Glow which you can turn into an ally, so I suppose this Mr. Handy you mentioned is another of those additions of Et Tu.

I don't remember ever having a Mr. Handy as part of my team, in vanilla, at least.

It's been years since I played the original and the old noggin is not so good for remembering certain details anymore. In any case, this time I just told the supercomputer in the Glow to shut down the security robots, so I didn't come across any eyebot.

Checking Per's guide, it seems Mr Handy wasn't originally a companion, only a quest device (you can still send it to clean the control room where the Lieutenant is, breaking the forcefield emitter along the way). As a companion, it's rather fragile for that part of the game, although it can shred with a Gatling Laser (when it decides to use it, that is. The AI is still retarded).

I've forgotten lots of things about quests, which lead to some frustration at times, as the patches still haven't fixed everything. I wasn't able to complete LA's gang feud peacefully because I didn't speak to people in the right order, for example.

The most unenjoyable part of the game for me are still the random encounters. I don't disable them because travelling the wastes should be dangerous, but being ambushed by 10 mutants with rocket launchers is not very fun, particularly when you have 10 Luck and +80 Outdoorsman. Even when they're not particularly dangerous, they become annoying very quickly.

Last edited:

Lexx

Cipher

There's an eyebot in The Glow which you can turn into an ally, so I suppose this Mr. Handy you mentioned is another of those additions of Et Tu.

I don't remember ever having a Mr. Handy as part of my team, in vanilla, at least.
Mr. Handy was added a million years ago by one of the TeamX Fo1 mods, then taken over into Fixt, and thus is also available here.

About the "less than 500 days"-bug, I have never seen that happening and you are pretty much the first to report this. There is nothing I can think of right now that would trigger this, unless you used the CoC doctors unusually frequently (using them reduces the invasion timer by 1 day)... or you simply traveld randomly on the worldmap for 500 days. If there was no time skip, the invasion can't trigger.

That said, there are no encounters with "10 mutants with rocket launchers" unless you dick around the Brotherhood bunker and get unlucky and drawn into one of the few vs. encounters. The encounter is rare, though, and easily avoided.

Hello Lexx, great job on the conversion. Hmm, no I don't think I've used CoC doctors, at least not significantly. And I did a normal playthrough, no roaming around and no grinding. I wonder if it's related to joining the caravans you meet on the road? Anyway, I still have my save, I can share it if you'd like.

Regarding the random encounters, I'm not sure if there were really 10 mutants, but they were definitely a lot. It's happened with raiders, too. Because I haven't played FO1 in years, I wasn't sure if that was even supposed to happen.

blessedCoffee

Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Mr. Handy was added a million years ago by one of the TeamX Fo1 mods, then taken over into Fixt, and thus is also available here.
+
informative.png
. Yeah, I thought it must have been an extra companion from Et Tu, or something along those lines. I mean, Per never described this permanent, robotic companion, and god knows how many times they beat Fallout to write TNUFG. It's hard to believe they'd miss this.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately, I was hit by what I assume is a bug, as shortly after Mariposa I got the Vault 13 game over cutscene well before the 500 days (less than a year had passed).
About the "less than 500 days"-bug, I have never seen that happening and you are pretty much the first to report this. There is nothing I can think of right now that would trigger this, unless you used the CoC doctors unusually frequently (using them reduces the invasion timer by 1 day)... or you simply traveld randomly on the worldmap for 500 days. If there was no time skip, the invasion can't trigger.
There's at least 2 in-game ways to shorten the timer to the V13 invasion: asking the water merchants to ship water to vault, and through specific dialogue choices with (either, I can't remember) the talking-head Mutant guarding the water pump in Necropolis or your discussion with Lieu in Mariposa.

Did you do either of those Gilius?

Unfortunately, I was hit by what I assume is a bug, as shortly after Mariposa I got the Vault 13 game over cutscene well before the 500 days (less than a year had passed).
There's at least 2 in-game ways to shorten the timer to the V13 invasion: asking the water merchants to ship water to vault, and through specific dialogue choices with (either, I can't remember) the talking-head Mutant guarding the water pump in Necropolis or your discussion with Lieu in Mariposa.

Did you do either of those Gilius?

Holy crap, I didn't know that. Looking it up on Per's guide, I see:

In v1.0 buying water from the Water Merchants shortened the other time limit (the mutant threat) by 90 days if it was currently at 100 days or more, but this isn't a factor any more.

So, is it a factor in Et Tu? I know the config file lets you disable the 500 days timer (or set another), but I didn't find anything in particular about the Water Merchants affecting the timer. I did disable it in my game afterwards, but I don't think it works with saves. Besides, my invasion date was slightly before a year had passed, so even with extra 90 days it doesn't add up to 500.

And no, I didn't give up the Vault's location to the Lieutenant (I've made several playthroughs after, so I'm not 100% sure anymore, but I believe I would've mentioned it). You can overhear the conversation where he discloses finding about Vault 13 (you can sneak up to him, get 1000 xp and leave), which is what I usually do. Regarding the mutant in the Watershed in Necropolis, what happens is that if you fail the speech check he'll offer to take you to "Lou" (or else fight) , and the game simulates trekking all the way to Mariposa, which deducts some 40 days, or similar. I don't think there's anything in particular you can reveal about Vault 13 to the dim-witted mutant. And no, I didn't follow that route.

In any case, the mutant invasion occurred AFTER Mariposa turned to dust. I think that can also occur in the original, but you got to admit it doesn't make much sense.

I've forgotten lots of things about quests, which lead to some frustration at times, as the patches still haven't fixed everything. I wasn't able to complete LA's gang feud peacefully because I didn't speak to people in the right order, for example.

I don't think I remembered things correctly, here. I had imagined you could solve things peacefully, but no, the Regulators or Blades must die, with or without you taking part in the battle(if you side with the Blades). The one weird thing is that if you tell the Blades' leader that you're gonna talk to Zimmerman (this is right before the attack, after solving the Gun Runners quest), she subsequently disappears when you return to the map. If you don't have the holodisk (which I didn't, because I hadn't talked to Zimmerman before), you can't even tell him about his son's death, so your only option is to initiate combat with the Regs yourself.

The most unenjoyable part of the game for me are still the random encounters. I don't disable them because travelling the wastes should be dangerous, but being ambushed by 10 mutants with rocket launchers is not very fun, particularly when you have 10 Luck and +80 Outdoorsman. Even when they're not particularly dangerous, they become annoying very quickly.

Pro-tip about random encounters: Study the random encounters map to avoid mutants as much as possible: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_random_encounters

I've slightly changed my opinion on random encounters, as they can add some excitement to an ironman game, which is how I'm playing now. Mutants are a Russian roulette, but the others you can manage. It forces you to plan ahead. I'm still not sure how much Sequence and Perception really help.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
So, is it a factor in Et Tu?
I can’t speak to that, but all of my F1 playthroughs over the past decade, except for shaking down et tu about a year ago, have been with TeamX 1.3.5 patch. Some have been with Wasteland Ghost’s invasion mod layered on top. I’m not sure which permutation (TeamX patch only or both it and Invasion mod) but iirc paying the water merchants gave you 120 days from that moment to wipe Mariposa or else V13 gets invaded.

Lexx mentioned he’s building on TeamX’s work, so if that wasn’t Wasteland Ghost’s mod that may have made it into the code.

It’s worth noting in the version of et tu that I played last year also had strange increments of the water chip countdown changing on scripted map changes, like the .223 pistol encounter, death claw cave, and caravans. The 223 pistol scripted travel to the farm took something like 17 days off the water chip timer, where the actual overland travel from it back to the hub only took 3 days.

If that kinda weird countdown logic is at play with the v13 invasion, you may see it happen earlier than your in-game calendar would suggest.

Changing the mod option for invasion after you’ve started the game won’t affect the save, iirc.

Lexx

Cipher
So, is it a factor in Et Tu?
Yes.

In any case, the mutant invasion occurred AFTER Mariposa turned to dust. I think that can also occur in the original, but you got to admit it doesn't make much sense.
The invasions stop if you destroy the Cathedral. Mariposa is just where the mutants are created - the guiding hand is the Master.

The one weird thing is that if you tell the Blades' leader that you're gonna talk to Zimmerman (this is right before the attack, after solving the Gun Runners quest), she subsequently disappears when you return to the map. If you don't have the holodisk (which I didn't, because I hadn't talked to Zimmerman before), you can't even tell him about his son's death, so your only option is to initiate combat with the Regs yourself.
That's not a bug, though. She goes with the attack force, thus becomes unavailable. The holodisk itself isn't required for much anyways - it doesn't matter if Zimmerman survives or not, it changes nothing. You can easily just start blasting Regulators from any location and the Blades will (with ettu) correctly start their attack (there was a bug in Fo1 which would result in the Blades not spawning at all).

but iirc paying the water merchants gave you 120 days from that moment to wipe Mariposa or else V13 gets invaded.
You will get +100 days for the water timer and -90 days for the invasion timer (if there are still more than 100 days left). This is based on original vanilla Fo1 code.

It’s worth noting in the version of et tu that I played last year also had strange increments of the water chip countdown changing on scripted map changes, like the .223 pistol encounter, death claw cave, and caravans. The 223 pistol scripted travel to the farm took something like 17 days off the water chip timer, where the actual overland travel from it back to the hub only took 3 days.
Don't know the details right now, but at least in Fo1 the game time randomly advances if you switch the location. Not sure if this is still a thing in Fo1. In any case, I likely didn't change this in code because this is exactly what the vanilla game does and I figured people who cry about ettu changes will want to keep this in the game.

A horse of course

Is this Fallout et tu the most recommended way to play Fallout 1 if I haven't played it in like 15 years and want to replay?

Lilura says no.
In other words, "go for it!"

IMO Lilura's overall argument is sound - as proven by people in this thread saying things like anyone who wants to play BG1 should just play tutu because it's better that way. However, without being intimately familiar with the Fallout engine's quirks vs. the Fallout 2 version, there's not much point quibbling about it. I assume the m*dders themselves are familiar with the differences but I don't know if they've talked about it (I didn't read the whole thread).

Cael

Arcane
Is this Fallout et tu the most recommended way to play Fallout 1 if I haven't played it in like 15 years and want to replay?

Lilura says no.

IMO Lilura's overall argument is sound - as proven by people in this thread saying things like anyone who wants to play BG1 should just play tutu because it's better that way. However, without being intimately familiar with the Fallout engine's quirks vs. the Fallout 2 version, there's not much point quibbling about it. I assume the m*dders themselves are familiar with the differences but I don't know if they've talked about it (I didn't read the whole thread).
The inventory and companion system in 2 alone makes it far more worthwhile than 1.

If you can't do without companions, that's a resounding yes. Otherwise, 15 years is a long time, so I'd probably do one playthrough of vanilla, then try Et Tu just to appreciate the changes. Remember, no one does just one playthrough of FO1.

Good to know. I never liked paying the Water Merchants (only did it for XP), as the game heavily implies it might have consequences for your Vault. Still, given the distortions with the timer I'd rather just disable it.

The invasions stop if you destroy the Cathedral. Mariposa is just where the mutants are created - the guiding hand is the Master.
I'd argue that it'd be difficult to mount an invasion after such a catastrophic loss in numbers and logistics, but that's debatable.

The one weird thing is that if you tell the Blades' leader that you're gonna talk to Zimmerman (this is right before the attack, after solving the Gun Runners quest), she subsequently disappears when you return to the map. If you don't have the holodisk (which I didn't, because I hadn't talked to Zimmerman before), you can't even tell him about his son's death, so your only option is to initiate combat with the Regs yourself.
That's not a bug, though. She goes with the attack force, thus becomes unavailable. The holodisk itself isn't required for much anyways - it doesn't matter if Zimmerman survives or not, it changes nothing. You can easily just start blasting Regulators from any location and the Blades will (with ettu) correctly start their attack (there was a bug in Fo1 which would result in the Blades not spawning at all).
Yes, I'm not saying that's the fault of the mod--it's simply unsatisfactory quest design (pointing at a diplomatic solution when there's none). Searching my long time memories of the game, I remember always being disappointed that you couldn't tell Zimmerman the truth without provoking his death, I even tried planting the holodisk in his room before (why does he even have a special room?) to no avail.

Lexx

Cipher
You can make him survive the battle, but he's just going to float a single line and that's it. :p

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Lilura says no.

The inventory and companion system in 2 alone makes it far more worthwhile than 1.

the only thing that needs to be said

Snufkin

Augur
I am using 854x480 resolution and it looks like original looked 25 years ago. Any reason why 960x540 is recommended everywhere?

blessedCoffee

Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I am using 854x480 resolution and it looks like original looked 25 years ago. Any reason why 960x540 is recommended everywhere?
Are you going to enable the fog of war, or you don't intend to? If not, I would keep it at 640x480, the default resolution.

.pixote. didn't work on Fallout maps, like he did with Fallout 2.

The small vanilla maps were updated so they wouldn't look bad with higher resolutions, e.g., the Temple of Trials entrance (the starting point in Fallout 2). The oil rig initial area seem to be one of the few maps which were forgotten and still look bad.

Don't forget you can play Fallout in windowed mode, if you don't like how the game looks in fullscreen (using the default resolution).

agris

Arcane
Patron

edit: warning. autism about to intensify.

Think about it. You picked 854x480 for two reasons: it keeps the original vertical resolution of 640x480, while expanding the view port to fit your widescreen - almost. The aspect ratio of your resolution is 1.779 while true 16:9 is 1.7 repeating. Playing in 960x540 gives you a true 16:9 aspect ratio for the most common 1920x1080 monitors, but more importantly it's an integer scale of your monitor's resolution. 1920/2 = 960, 1080/2 = 540. That means that each of Fallout's pixels is mapped perfectly to 4 physical pixels on a standard 1080 screen, without any subpixel rendering / anisotropy.

Because 1080p monitors are what the normie masses have, that's why 960x540 is recommended. If you play on an older 16:10 panels, 960x600 is the better fit. Modern 4k 16:9 panels are 3840x2160, which 960x540 is also an integer multiple of, so it works there.

Is it the worst thing in the world to not have a perfect aspect ratio or introduce anisotropy through subpixel rendering? Nope, but it's easy to avoid and especially improves the readability of fonts. But there's plenty of people who don't care / won't notice, and if you really like your solution then more power to you! but those are the technical underpinnings of it.

FWIW I'm on an a 2560x1600 16:10 panel and I *don't* integer scale Fallout anymore. I run 960x600, because 1280x800 (integer scale for my monitor) is too zoomed out, and the bilinear filter used by the HR patch helps smooth out the subpixel anisotropy.

Snufkin

Augur

edit: warning. autism about to intensify.

Think about it. You picked 854x480 for two reasons: it keeps the original vertical resolution of 640x480, while expanding the view port to fit your widescreen - almost. The aspect ratio of your resolution is 1.779 while true 16:9 is 1.7 repeating. Playing in 960x540 gives you a true 16:9 aspect ratio for the most common 1920x1080 monitors, but more importantly it's an integer scale of your monitor's resolution. 1920/2 = 960, 1080/2 = 540. That means that each of Fallout's pixels is mapped perfectly to 4 physical pixels on a standard 1080 screen, without any subpixel rendering / anisotropy.

Because 1080p monitors are what the normie masses have, that's why 960x540 is recommended. If you play on an older 16:10 panels, 960x600 is the better fit. Modern 4k 16:9 panels are 3840x2160, which 960x540 is also an integer multiple of, so it works there.

Is it the worst thing in the world to not have a perfect aspect ratio or introduce anisotropy through subpixel rendering? Nope, but it's easy to avoid and especially improves the readability of fonts. But there's plenty of people who don't care / won't notice, and if you really like your solution then more power to you! but those are the technical underpinnings of it.

FWIW I'm on an a 2560x1600 16:10 panel and I *don't* integer scale Fallout anymore. I run 960x600, because 1280x800 (integer scale for my monitor) is too zoomed out, and the bilinear filter used by the HR patch helps smooth out the subpixel anisotropy.
Thanks for reply.
Anyways this is how it looks at my 1080p monitor:

https://ibb.co/J5GkCdF

The Jester

Cipher

Lexx

Is it possible to make gambling fun again?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom