Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout General Thread

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Why don't we already have a general thread for these games?

Currently playing Fallout 2 and I ran into an obnoxious issue. In Fallout 1 whenever I changed the resolution to 800x600 Windowed mode, the game now boots up in it automatically. In Fallout 2 despite this boots up in 640x480, is there anyway to fix this or am I missing something? I hate manually changing this every time the game boots up.

Jigby

Augur
Start the game via Fallout2HR.exe
Also how did you change the resolution setting? Through the f2_res_Config.exe or just with notepad editing f2_res.ini? If it's just notepad, make sure UAC_AWARE is set to 0, otherwise HiRes is using a different config file (the one in %appdata%).
That should solve the windowed mode problem. As far as the size of the window is considered, I think HiRes creates always a window of 640x480 size. If you want the window to be bigger, edit ddraw.ini, set [Graphics] Mode=5 and GraphicsWidth=800 GraphicsHeight=600.

with something like this I have windowed mode 800x600
f2_res.ini -> https://pastebin.com/tuCf6240
ddraw.ini -> https://pastebin.com/cKpnLJp0

These are sfall and HiRes that are packaged with Steam/GOG

Also if you're playing windowed in f2_res.ini set EXTRA_WIN_MSG_CHECKS=1 to fix a bug.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Start the game via Fallout2HR.exe
Also how did you change the resolution setting? Through the f2_res_Config.exe or just with notepad editing f2_res.ini? If it's just notepad, make sure UAC_AWARE is set to 0, otherwise HiRes is using a different config file (the one in %appdata%).
That should solve the windowed mode problem. As far as the size of the window is considered, I think HiRes creates always a window of 640x480 size. If you want the window to be bigger, edit ddraw.ini, set [Graphics] Mode=5 and GraphicsWidth=800 GraphicsHeight=600.

with something like this I have windowed mode 800x600
f2_res.ini -> https://pastebin.com/tuCf6240
ddraw.ini -> https://pastebin.com/cKpnLJp0

These are sfall and HiRes that are packaged with Steam/GOG

Also if you're playing windowed in f2_res.ini set EXTRA_WIN_MSG_CHECKS=1 to fix a bug.
I changed it through the res_config. It now starts up in 800x600 in window mode but it appears at the top left hand corner of my screen and I can't move the window.

Jigby

Augur
Newer sfalls have the ability to center the window and remember the window position in case you change it yourself manually. Download let's say sfall 4.3.1 https://sourceforge.net/projects/sfall/files/sfall/ and extract into your F2 folder JUST ddraw.dll (nothing else), overwriting the original you had there.
Then edit ddraw.ini (the one in your F2 folder, not the one from sfall 4.3.1) and in the [Graphics] subsection insert WindowData=-1 so it can be something like

;Set to 0 for 8 bit fullscreen
;Set to 4 for dx9 fullscreen
;Set to 5 for dx9 windowed
;A dx9 mode is required for any graphics related script extender functions to work (i.e. fullscreen shaders)
;Modes 1, 2 and 3 are no longer supported
Mode=5
WindowData=-1

WindowData=-1 is center of the screen. If you then manually change the position, ddraw.dll will automatically change the position in WindowData in ddraw.ini

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I finally fought my first real battle against
the Khans in Vault 15

As a non-combat character it took me an hour and a half of reloading and changing my tactics. I’ve gone probably 85% of the game so far without combat.
:incline:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Why don't we already have a general thread for these games?

Currently playing Fallout 2 and I ran into an obnoxious issue. In Fallout 1 whenever I changed the resolution to 800x600 Windowed mode, the game now boots up in it automatically. In Fallout 2 despite this boots up in 640x480, is there anyway to fix this or am I missing something? I hate manually changing this every time the game boots up.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout_2

Late Bloomer

Scholar
How many hours either esitmated or exact do you have in the 5 main Fallout games?

Fallout 1 = 350 hours
Fallout 2 = 300 hours
Fallout 3 = 300 hours
Fallout NV = 250 hours
Fallout 4 = 3115 hours

Snufkin

Augur
I recommend you to use 1280x700 or 1366x768 resolutions to get rid of that shity old SVGA look.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How many hours either esitmated or exact do you have in the 5 main Fallout games?
Fuck we know, there was nothing to count time spend with the game... no Steam, no XFire.
Anything.

Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout/2 has a bunch of undocumented hotkeys btw
Although there is the help screen, it doesn't include them:
SRcHO8e.png
Nor is it in the manual.
I'm not sure how many are FO2 specific, don't feel like checking as I'm enjoying Et Tu a lot anyways.

Anyways, the 'A'(shift+a) key is Take All on inventory screens for quick looting.
You can move through your own inventory with home/end, page up/page down, and up/down arrow keys
...but did you know you can move through the other person's inventory during trade by holding ctrl and using those keys?
...and that during bartering the page up/page down affect the offering list, not your inventory list?
't' key ends bartering and switches back to talk if you're engaged in bartering
'b' key switches to bartering
'm' key attempts to finish a barter transaction if you're bartering

Did you know you can pause the game? An actual pause. ctrl+p
ctrl-x quits the game

when in the 'combat control' dialogue area with a companion:
'a' -> best armor
'w' -> best weapon
some other buttons do the rest but I don't remember them, just press shit until you figure it out, likely a mnemonic

other trivia:
you can use 'y' or 'n' to select the yes/no options in popup boxes
go to the main menu and press ctrl+r
press ctrl+v while ingame

:timcain:

Codex Year of the Donut

He kept mentioning (paraphrasing) "making a 2D world into a 3D world with new and unique interactions" "turning a 2D world into a fully interactive 3D world"
In what way does FO4 have a more interactable world than FO1?

the part about the gate is prosper-tier
"waowza it's a skill check just like all dem new games you needsa day skill check!!!"
Why the fuck would there be a locked gate there? What is it keeping out that the giant god damn vault door wasn't keeping out? Why hasn't it been destroyed yet by people that tried to raid the Vault or were scavenging?

F-, see me after class, world designers.

Trashos

Arcane

Estimated:
Fallout 1 = 200 hours
Fallout 2 = 1000 hours
Fallout 3 = 0.5 hour
Fallout NV = 2500 hours
Fallout 4 = 0

It doesn't mean that I like them in order of hours. From the beloved games, the bigger games often take more of my time.

Modron

Arcane

Fallout 1 = 350 hours
Fallout 2 = 300 hours
Fallout 3 = 300 hours
Fallout NV = 250 hours
Fallout 4 = 3115 hours

Fallout 1 = 500 hours
Fallout 2 = 500 hours
Fallout Tactics = 40 hours
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel = 0 hours
Fallout New Vegas = 250 hours

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Fallout 1 = 10 hours
Fallout 2 = 40 hours
Fallout 3 = 0 hours
Fallout New Vegas = 80 hours in which 40 hours of modding desperately trying to make the game good, 20 hours of actual play, 20 hours of crash/ loading / stuttering / bugs / issues/ tweaking/ new game due to save corrupted. 3 hours of fun in reality.
Fallout 4 = 2 hours

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Estimated:
Fallout 1 = 200 hours
Fallout 2 = 1000 hours
Fallout 3 = 0.5 hour
Fallout NV = 2500 hours
Fallout 4 = 0

It doesn't mean that I like them in order of hours. From the beloved games, the bigger games often take more of my time.

Nice! Any mods that you consider essential for Fallout New Vegas that arent performance related?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fallout = 60 hours
Fallout = 30 hours
Fallout 3 = 300 hours
Fallout: New Vegas = over 1,000 hours
Fallout 4: 20 minutes (refunded)

All estimates of course.
Sadly the amount of time spent modding FO3 and F:NV is ridiculously huge.

Trashos

Arcane
Any mods that you consider essential for Fallout New Vegas that arent performance related?

I never play without the JSawyer mod (the Ultimate or the real one). To each their own, tastes in the NV community vary greatly. But to me some version of that mod is essential.

Trashos

Arcane
Fallout = 60 hours
Fallout = 30 hours
Fallout 3 = 300 hours
Fallout: New Vegas = over 1,000 hours
Fallout 4: 20 minutes (refunded)

I 'd love to hear your rant about FO4. The people I have heard rant about it are usually the ones who hated FO3 too, so I did not expect to see that. I guess you wished for a natural progression from NV?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I 'd love to hear your rant about FO4. The people I have heard rant about it are usually the ones who hated FO3 too, so I did not expect to see that. I guess you wished for a natural progression from NV?

The short version is that New Vegas ruined™ Fallout 3 for me, and Fallout 4 turned out to be a watered down Fallout 3 from everything I had heard, and the first 20 minutes of gameplay are very much not engaging. I uninstalled after I killed my first Radroaches post-unfrozen.

Personally I've outgrown Fallout: New Vegas. I simply don't think the RPG elements, even with mods, outweigh the boring open world that you have to put up with. I'm just not a fan of the Bethesda school of open world games, and Obsidian didn't even bother to make the Mojave remotely engaging as a playground. It's like you are playing just to see the next NPC interaction.

Last edited:

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fallout 1 = 10 hours
Fallout 2 = 40 hours
Fallout 3 = 0 hours
Fallout New Vegas = 80 hours in which 40 hours of modding desperately trying to make the game good, 20 hours of actual play, 20 hours of crash/ loading / stuttering / bugs / issues/ tweaking/ new game due to save corrupted. 3 hours of fun in reality.
Fallout 4 = 2 hours
The original Fallout has good replay value, so I gotta ask, why only 10 hours?

Did you ran into technical problems, or there's something else behind this?

If you had issues, you could try installing the unofficial patches. Check drobovik's Fallout Database for download links.

https://letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=nma-fallout drobovik fallout database

Valdetiosi

Scholar

Fallout 1 = 350 hours
Fallout 2 = 300 hours
Fallout 3 = 300 hours
Fallout NV = 250 hours
Fallout 4 = 3115 hours
1 = 5
2 = 40
3 = 0.5
NV = 1363
4 = 20

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom