Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: Nevada Mod - final English version released

Black Angel

Arcane
I crawled through pipe, killed robot with electro floor and pressed button, I believe that is all to it? They are all disabled after.
At that point you've practically cleared the area.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I will never understand why designers waste their efforts and time on bring 30 things quests.

Is New Vegas completely parallel to main quest?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is there a way to crab some xp like maybe there is part of the map where you find deathclaws? I need a level to get perk which allows to play after game ended.

The summary of my last feelings towards the mod:

:shitposting:b e g i n s here.

It is definitely a great technical achivement, but because the main plot is so unbeliveably poorly written (it is like 2 different people did main story and side quests and even whoever translated it went crazy with vault dweller answers LOOKING LIKE OMYGODLIKETHIS U AREPRESIDENT!!!) and almost doesn't affect main game, and because there are no companions to keep company and react to my choices, I was not completely immersed into the game world. Guess I am a storyfag huh. Whole game felt like doing side quests in a Fallout game.

Everything around upper-left part of the map is top notch. New Reno I'd say is better than in Fallout 2 by far. Its amount of content and intersecting quest lines hurts my brain and I don't know how in the fuck they scripted all this. Must have been pain in the ass. It's uglier and dirtier, and more realistic. Somehow this game makes city with dudes with tommy guns guarding things threatening instead of funny. Salt Lake City is ok. New Vegas however is a bit half-assed with its detective arc with all the paper receipts and a cutscene you can just easily miss if you have a car. The final dialogue with Mayor is press 1) to finish quest, I expected something more.

Really much of the writing is pretty grim but not retarded like some grimdark of Resurrection where they went overboard with it. It reminds me of Fallout 1. Which is probably the best compliment you can give to a mod like this.

Fetch quests. They're in the game. You actually get 2 right in the beginning, and then some more later. One of them has nice flavour to it (collect samples), another is just when you see some vault thingie, you click on it and collect it. While there are hints on their existence, they can still be easy to miss due to brown-grey nature of Fallout games. Then there's stuff like collect 30 beers or "here is a list of items X Y Z" and you exchange them on 1000 XP. I don't count heal the boi quest because that quest has flavour to it too and there's a lot of interactions with shaman there. Some quests are quite hard to track due to their somewhat intricate nature of what you need to do in them. And also because of the ridiculous amount of items you need to carry with you. They generally have logical use and do not fall into adventure gaem logic but Fallout UI is not great at handling all this, and so I spent much time getting my shit out of a car, to put it then back into car. By the way, the map of the game is huge, and locations are at quite a distance from each other without anything between them, so prepare to walk a lot and hoard most batters on a car (I take it the idea is that map is realistic-like). The whole center of the map is nothing but empty mountains for example.

If you cut this excess (designer's fear of not having enough things to do in location is something one has to battle) fetch stuff out, you'll be left with other, very competent quests, which are interesting either because of Fallout lore behind them, how you can approach them or both. Furthermore, Nevada implements decent play with reputation. By accomplishing quests you raise your rep in different factions or parts of the cities, which opens new quests, options or replies from NPCs. For example, for New Reno crowd to notice you you can help people or box (I think) after which you can do quests for families; there are also common factions for all cities like Caravaners. After I did lots of good stuff for them all around the map, I got discount on all services. Bravo.

Also enjoyed random encounters. They're often have creepy style to them instead of lulzy one, which makes them work better than F1/F2 ones. An interactive map on one of wikis shows that they're carefully grouped in particular areals and you only meet particular encounters and special encounters in different parts of the map.

Adventure game design, I'm ambivalent about it. Great when it works, but I think game needed more Perception checks to notice things. Game actually has ton of doors which you cannot unlock in any way but doing adventure-thing to them which bothers me. Also, skill checks did not always feel consistent. Sometimes I accomplished things which my character should't have; and till the end of the game I failed Lockpicking sometimes with 101% in it. By the way, game does weird thing with lockpicks. For 99% of the game, I used hairpins; but in Vegas in chemlab I found upgraded kit and somewhere soon I found Electronic MK2 pick. I never seen regular lockpick kit. Doesn't seem like game has many checks beyond 100%, but that would require replaying the game to know.

Thing about adventure design tho is that path set by designer with repairing right things and choosing right options tends to be optimal in terms of XP when compared to your own/random path which is not really welcome for an RPG imo.

Now to the weakest part of the game in my opinion - after main story anyway. Combat. It's easy. It is very easy. And nothing seems like was done to work around that somehow. Or rather, it was, but that path just lead to the candyland of infinite easyness. The game has that grounded design, where you never actually meet any particular strong enemies, like supermutants or Enclave soldiers. Generally speaking your common enemy is a guy in leather or metal armor, armed with pistol or at best, assault rifle. Which means that any difficulty you might have had ends about at the time when you buy yourself a hunting rifle and get some ammo for it - that's about as early as New Reno, so first 20% of the game. The enemies are not strong or numerous, the money slowly, but steadily becomes very plentiful. Forget about crafting, your safe (or car) would soon be filled with weapons, ammo, heavy weapons, and you won't find anything to use them on except maybe Area 51 and a single family of Deathclaws which I shot with that same hunting rifle I had. Never I met a nasty Floater which would be a pain to deal with without access to heavy weapons or a pack of Centaurs (regardless if they should exist in this timeline or not). Your final boss enemies are at worst stationary turrets, at best some dudes with P90's. There is a dude (2 dudes?) with 500 hp but crits still get you, Fallout doesn't care for your HP.

The game also gives great XP. We're talking about reaching level 20 without even killing many people, and that's without actually doing every quest in the game and missing much of the content (like I did not do Louis quests or all Reno family quests because I got locked out of them due to rushing one of them).

Fallout 1 somewhat got away with this by being a short game which quickly changed power levels from rats to raiders, mutants and deathclaws; Fallout 2 had Enclave soldiers; but in Nevada 99% of the game you just mostly shoot thugs with desert eagles meaning you don't even need any upgrades. It also makes most new guns undesirable. The better 10 mm. pistol? Cool, but it's 10 mm. and this ammo sucks unless you burst with it. New shotgun ammo? Would be cool if you could craft magnum rounds en masse, but I don't think you can. On the other hand, gauss ammo is crafted from... 2 pieces of Junk. Lol. The energy weapons are also not much of a problem; not that game has loads of them, but it follows New Vegas design of dropping a few early, so it is probably batteries which would be more of an issue really.

Needless to say that when you finally create Power Armor you don't feel anything, because there's simply nothing to fight in it - you've already beaten things you usually fight in PA in Fallouts while collecting parts for it; and probably had a car for a while so STR bonus is not needed either.

The translation, it has issues. They are few, but there are NPCs with ERROR in dialogues, and some of it just feels like it was translated by goddamn google translate, in particular last parts of main quest and some lategame content. The first gun I crafted, a shotgun, said it is better than regular one because "it has faster recharge".

In the end, great mod, although due to fact that it is better played with closing eyes to main quest the experience falls apart somewhat because while the content is great, accomplishing it doesn't give great satisfaction because you're not personally invested in it and there are no avellonian companions drawn from all the people game has to react to your choices together with you, which is a big shame and could easily substituted the weak main quest for me. And the english version definitely needs another editing pass badly. And someone should sacrifice their dignity and voice act ending slides on english as well.

The comparison, right.

Nevada vs. newboi ATOM. vs. Resurrection.

I think I will leave Resurrection aside because I'll have to replay it to make correct comparison, but playing some degenerating mutant was definitely the better premise of the three of these games. So it definitely gets a point for that.

Which leaves Nevada vs. ATOM which I finished days ago. Also a hard comparison because Fallout already has all the right systems in place made by mr. Cain and crew. Also, Nevada plays fanservice card heavily by being a prequel to already established universe - see the wastes before Fallout 2, look how VC enslaved people, or how Reno was built. But then so does ATOM with its first quests being village/raiders/vault. But even with that consideration... honestly, Nevada quests and factions by design win. I'd say they blow ATOM out of the water badly, because even its best quest lines are simply too isolated and linear when compared to Nevada's New Reno. Also while most ATOM skill interactions exist of opening metal boxes, Nevada really tried hard to implement skill checks into the gameplay. Sorry ATOM, but you lost when I had to scout whole map for goddamn pincers to heal little tribal boi and stole pistol from a potential murderer.

Neither game has Int 1 dialogue however with exception of maybe 1 check in ATOM, which is a shame.

:shitposting:e n d s here.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Shadenuat I would rate it as Quality Shit if I could bro.

Which leaves Nevada vs. ATOM which I finished days ago. Also a hard comparison because Fallout already has all the right systems in place made by mr. Cain and crew. Also, Nevada plays fanservice card heavily by being a prequel to already established universe - see the wastes before Fallout 2, look how VC enslaved people, or how Reno was built. But then so does ATOM with its first quests being village/raiders/vault. But even with that consideration... honestly, Nevada quests and factions by design win. I'd say they blow ATOM out of the water badly, because even its best quest lines are simply too isolated and linear when compared to Nevada's New Reno. Also while most ATOM skill interactions exist of opening metal boxes, Nevada really tried hard to implement skill checks into the gameplay. Sorry ATOM, but you lost when I had to scout whole map for goddamn pincers to heal little tribal boi and stole pistol from a potential murderer.

That's basically mean we need to bring these people together, so they could make better game. Sadly, it doesn't work like this. (c)

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
With how much Shadenuat talked about healing the little tribal boi, I'm beginning to suspect that he (or she?) is a shotacon. Ara ara?
Or it's his ( :troll: ) motherly instincts talking.
That's basically mean we need to bring these people together, so they could make better game. Sadly, it doesn't work like this. (c)
Alot of cash will do just fine, since they all live if not in the same timezone then it's close enough definitely - ATOM RPG team and Res team are not that too far away from each other. With the power of the internet you don't need to rent an office building, they can work from home.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That's because boi has highest amount of checks in a single dialogue in the whole game, more than any other quest. Which is both interesting but also nonsensical when you compare it to other challenges in the game.

I am building high str high luck melee fighter named Chuck to replay the mod, or at least some parts of Reno I missed.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Can you write all attribute points increases? I already forgot them, those I have found.
Use spoiler though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
just use wiki

https://fnevada.bgforge.net/FAQ

Какие статы можно повысить за прохождение?
Неполный список статов:

• +2 выносливости - чемпион ринга Нью-Рино и Вегаса (если выносливость повышена до 10 химией, то выносливость не повысится)
  • +1 сила - тренер в Вегасе
  • +1 удача - перк "бизнесмен" (также дает +5 к торговле)
  • +1 удача - амулет Шайенов(если в руках)
  • +1 интеллект - перк "Частный детектив" (чтобы его получить нужно выполнить несколько квестов на детективные истории: квесты Патрика, несколько квестов в Нью-Рино, квест на репутацию байкеров, квесты мэра и архивариуса в Вегасе. Сколько их нужно точно неизвестно, но получить его реально еще в Рино не доходя до Вегаса).
  • Перк "Эмпатия" - покупается у техника в Вегасе
  • +5% шанса крита - в кафе "Хард рок" воруем чемодан у одного из посетителей.
Скиллы повышаются часто - читайте прохождение.

This looks like it's missing Charisma though, I believe you need the beauty set for it.

I also like this interactive map with random encounters and monster areals:

http://fallout-nevada.ucoz.ru/3DMODELS/NevadaGlobalMap.html

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
This all I remember, whi didn't get Detective and Businessman.
I know ther was some set of items that gave HP or somehting.
But Black Designer said that there is more (in vkontate when he released Nevada I had pleasure to talk with him).

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am slowly finishing this total conversion (currently level 16) and have to say: it's good. Very good. A great addition to the Fallout franchise. Rich in content, lore and without too many cultural references/easter eggs that break immersion like in Fallout 2).

The translation is also competent and from what I've seen, complete (will report back after visiting the final zones of the game).

I'm having quality time with Fallout of Nevada. Thanks to all the authors!

Last edited:

Bergblatstein

Novice
Enjoying it very much so far, lots of skill checks wich were sadly overlooked in the originals as everyone pointed out.
So i guess congradulations to the people who worked on this! :salute:

I dont know if this was tried or doable but i would like to make a small suggestion for this or future mods by anyone: +5 Karma per raider is too much for a simple act of self-defense, lowering to 1 or better removing this is something i would like to see creators do in future.

Is there an NPC that teaches you bullet crafting, couse so far i havent found one and went as far south as Reno?
Also hunter from Garlach? claims he tinkers in shotguns yet dosnt have option to repair Nelsons damaged shotgun, i managed myself but am wondering if this should be like this?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is there an NPC that teaches you bullet crafting, couse so far i havent found one and went as far south as Reno?

Checked my old guide and you need Ammo Reloading Tool from either Frank Korchen - $5000 for the starter, then another $5000 (or super tool kit) for the pickup. Or give him super tool kit and you have to pay $2000.
Ed in Nuka Cola Factory can make one too, but you don't have any decent way to decrease the price (-$500 require p. high reputation).

That's legit way, you can also pick one from Ander's garage, on the shelf. Going is a bit tricky tho.
guide mention something about "symbols on the statues, ladder to the roof
IIRC you don't need any recipe?

oh and you can upgrade aforementioned tool to create more types of ammunition
Ammo Reloading Tool + Repair 70 + Small Guns 35 + Junk

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey guise, I just found out about this. I speak some vodka, but I do much prefer my fish & chips, is there a good, finished translation?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hey guise, I just found out about this. I speak some vodka, but I do much prefer my fish & chips, is there a good, finished translation?

I finished the game a week ago. English translation is ok. There are two or three error messages in dialogues, but that's about it. I reached the end without any linguistic problems.

Bergblatstein

Novice
Checked my old guide and you need Ammo Reloading Tool from either Frank Korchen - $5000 for the starter, then another $5000 (or super tool kit) for the pickup. Or give him super tool kit and you have to pay $2000.
Ed in Nuka Cola Factory can make one too, but you don't have any decent way to decrease the price (-$500 require p. high reputation).

That's legit way, you can also pick one from Ander's garage, on the shelf. Going is a bit tricky tho.
guide mention something about "symbols on the statues, ladder to the roof
IIRC you don't need any recipe?

oh and you can upgrade aforementioned tool to create more types of ammunition
Ammo Reloading Tool + Repair 70 + Small Guns 35 + Junk

Thank you for the info.

I like presence and danger of infections and think the way you can handle them by learning/crafting various tinctures on campfires is nice.
However the amount of times my char was infected, combined with what the medical computer tells - is raising some more conspiracy theories in me.
Is this ever brought up in the game? A simple yes or no will be enough.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I just completed the game, and it's really good. It has flaws, but Shadenauts analysis is spot on and covered most of what I wanted to say about it. Resurrection vs Nevada? I think Resurrection has a better main story and tighter pacing than Nevada (plus it has companions), but Nevada wins on everything else and it's not even close. Pacing is important though; I was sad when I finished Resurrection, but I was pretty sick of Nevada by the end and just wanted it to be over already. ATOM isn't in the same league.

One question, is it possible to defeat the Reaper? I got him down to Severely Wounded, but then he just
regenerated his crippled parts and went back to Wounded. :argh:

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just 1 shot him with hunting rifle through crit table, since if you roll high enough it's instant death regardless of HP.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Is there a way to crab some xp

There is a special encounter called 'Giant Egg' which produces infinitely respawning ants, you can easily grab as much XP as you want from there. (I found it between Reno and Hawthorne)

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
How buggy is this? someone said this one is pretty good but pretty buggy and some quests feel incomplete or make no sense or something.

.Pixote.

Augur
No more buggy than Fallout 1 or 2, some translation is awkward (especially the last 2 towns), but play and enjoy, you won't regret...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Jesus Christ, what is it with difficulty and these mods ?

After failing miserably at Fallout Resurrection I am also struggling with this one, having trouble to find armor (exact same problem than in FO 1.5) and to finding stuff I am able to kill.

I had no problem with FO 1 and 2. What the fuck happened? Is this game hard or what ?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jesus Christ, what is it with difficulty and these mods ?

After failing miserably at Fallout Resurrection I am also struggling with this one, having trouble to find armor (exact same problem than in FO 1.5) and to finding stuff I am able to kill.

I had no problem with FO 1 and 2. What the fuck happened? Is this game hard or what ?
Get good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom