Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout: New Vegas Infos surfaced

MetalCraze

Arcane
No see there is a difference between a cheesy but consistent setting (original Fallout) and a totally inconsistent setting where one unrelated thing is 5 meters away from another unrelated thing none of which have a single logical connection to PA setting (Beth Failout).
There is a huge gap between a PA town made of what was lying around with people trying to grow crops around it to survive and a druid grove with bunch of fanatics worshipping a magical talking tree.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
They're saying something about "Rat Pack+ Western Style" Music. +1 from me.

Also: Shut the fuck up Skyway, you are a boring cunt.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
circ said:
Also: Shut the fuck up Barrow_Bug, you are a boring cunt.
crying-baby-doll.jpg

How does Skyway's cock, taste? :lol:

The Wizard

Educated
MetalCraze said:
No see there is a difference between a cheesy but consistent setting (original Fallout) and a totally inconsistent setting where one unrelated thing is 5 meters away from another unrelated thing none of which have a single logical connection to PA setting (Beth Failout).

more like "there is a difference between funny (fallout 2) and retarded (fallout 3)." *gamebeingfunismoreimportantthansettingwankery*

Longshanks

Augur
MetalCraze said:
There is a huge gap between a PA town made of what was lying around with people trying to grow crops around it to survive and a druid grove with bunch of fanatics worshipping a magical talking tree.
Must be 2 o'clock, Skyway's pretty much spot on here. The Wizard makes a decent point too, in that Fallout 2 was good, and not even despite the setting silliness, as some of that actually worked (New Reno) - it wasn't all Fallout but it was all Fallout 2.

Suchy

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
They're saying something about "Rat Pack+ Western Style" Music. +1 from me.
duh, where's the ambient? unless by "western" they mean redding style.
still no full dynamic shadows?

Longshanks said:
Must be 2 o'clock, Skyway's pretty much spot on here. The Wizard makes a decent point too, in that Fallout 2 was good, and not even despite the setting silliness, as some of that actually worked (New Reno) - it wasn't all Fallout but it was all Fallout 2.

New Reno was one of the biggest setting rapes* in a game I ever saw, but it sure was one of the most fun cities. Its kinda hard bothering with the likes of Modoc, Klamath, Redding if you go to NR first.

*But I don't really care about setting / franchise "rape" in the first place.

And actually Megaton is very appropriate, as it parodies the said Atomic Age where people almost worshiped nuclear technology.

What's retarded about Megaton isn't the crater (it wasn't made by the bomb itself, you have to ask an old woman about the history of the city), nor the bomb worshipping (not everyone loves it, Simms and others just tolerate it because it's probably dead and the worshippers want it to stay).

What's retarded is that it's supposed to be one of the biggest, most important cities in the wasteland, yet it looks smaller than my backyard. That lone Brahmin is specially painful. Even fucking Arroyo had a pen full of cows.

Clockwork Knight said:
What's retarded is that it's supposed to be one of the biggest, most important cities in the wasteland, yet it looks smaller than my backyard.
And Arcanum was full of one room mansions. Your point?

Tarant was already pretty big and hard to navigate, so what it would've been like if they had made it about 2x bigger in order for it to be "realistic"? With multiple storied mansions, toilets and everything? It would've been a fucking trudge to play, that's what it would've been.

Video Games Development 101: don't make large areas unless you can fill them with interesting content.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought the worst part about megaton was that it was filled with boring NPCs with terrible writing, stupid quests, and was boring visually. Also, it's in the crater of an unexploded nuclear bomb.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Video Games Development 101: don't make large areas unless you can fill them with interesting content.
Fallout 3's interesting content can be put in a one room mansion's toilet.

Xor said:
Also, it's in the crater of an unexploded nuclear bomb

CK said:
What's retarded about Megaton isn't the crater (it wasn't made by the bomb itself, you have to ask an old woman about the history of the city)

sometimes I wonder if you guys even talk to the NPCs, or just go straight to the running around, killing things in horseback shootan part

Droog White Smile said:
Clockwork Knight said:
What's retarded is that it's supposed to be one of the biggest, most important cities in the wasteland, yet it looks smaller than my backyard.
And Arcanum was full of one room mansions. Your point?

I didn't say Arcanum was good in that aspect, so my point still stands. If you gonna say some place is big and important, don't make it look like my backyard. Tarant is a bore to walk through, but at least it does look big enough to be called "big". You could always do like Fallout and only let the player navigate the most important parts of the town, so at least you have an excuse for the itty bitty ambient.

The NPCs say Megaton is important for trading, etc, and when I get there, I find like 3 stores, one of which belongs to Moira, which states people don't trust her inventions so she only sells stimpacks, weak guns and the like.

It doesn't make me ragequit, but it sticks out too much. Like Burke asking you out of the blue to help him blow up the city, instead of observing you for a while and only approaching you when he is assured you're a bastard who would do anything for money. it could be very simple to implement, just make it so you have to complete X quests in an evil way, or have your karma be X.

Clockwork Knight said:
Like Burke asking you out of the blue to help him blow up the city, instead of observing you for a while and only approaching you when he is assured you're a bastard who would do anything for money. it could be very simple to implement, just make it so you have to complete X quests in an evil way, or have your karma be X.

I actually didn't hate FO3 in the same way that I hated Oblivion (maybe just through expectations - with Oblivion I expected something of Morrowind's standard, whereas with FO3 I expected something as bad as Oblivion), but that really stuck out and it typifies Bethesda's weakness at writing both dialogue and quest lines. Not only was it jarringly implausible, it was so easily fixable. The situation just screamed for Burke to act as a short quest hub for a few minor increasingly cold-hearted (nothing monstrous, just a bit cold by the end) quests - say, enforcing debtors bills, starting with morally untroubling ones where you just intimidate vendors into paying their lawful debts, then one where the guy really can't afford it, then one where the guy was ripped off, and then finally a really cold one where you fraudulently take someone's business or home.

If you go through all of it, Burke goes 'You know, you're a really reliable...contractor. I could do with more guys like you. I've got a special job that's real important to my boss, but its something that takes the right kind of guy to make it happen. Tell you what, your next job is just to hear me out and keep your mouth shut about it afterwards if you'd rather leave it for another contractor. But it'll be yours if you want it, and kid I gotta tell ya, there's some real good money in this one.' THEN que: the blow up Megaton quest.

Not only would that make the quest a lot less jarring, but it would give you a small alternative quest chain to Moira's, which good characters could do half of, and which wouldn't cost you any extra art assets or anything else but some dialogue trees for you, Burke and the NPCs you're collecting from.

Dny

Educated
If you think Megaton is retarded wait until you get to Little lamplight. Only Bethesda could rape a setting so hard with its throbbing multiheaded dick.

Little lamplight doesn't make any sense no matter how you put it. And its relation to big town is even more retarded, big town should've been burned to the ground by the mutants way before you reached the place considering there's no one there who could handle a gun, much less wipe their own asses.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
you guys are being fucking redundant. it's very simple to sum up:

their environment design was good and promising but their writing is worthless. the latter makes the former worthless as well.

no need to talk about every specific worthless aspect of the game since it all boils down to the writing birthed from the minds of a bunch of idiots like Todd and Emil in a room thinking they're really fucking on to something whilst creating the most juvenile shit since thongs in a FO game.

can you all get past your sandy vaginas and say that this game could actually be good despite the clunky animations because Bethesda are not writing for the game? that's the issue which should be above all else, imo. the mechanics of everything else i'm sure will be tweaked but not perfect...but i'd bet all of your lives that we get a game better than Tactics, FO3, P.O.S. and possibly on par if not better than FO2.

try being excited you fucking cretins.

TwinkieGorilla said:
try being excited you fucking cretins.

Everytime we do that, we end up hitting reality face first

So, no. I prefer expecting this with caution. I got enough of hype.
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:44 pm Post subject:
If you think Megaton is retarded wait until you get to Little lamplight. Only Bethesda could rape a setting so hard with its throbbing multiheaded dick.

Little lamplight doesn't make any sense no matter how you put it.

Is it setting rape if it's a worse(r) version of the Mad Max 3 kid town?

Mad_Max_3+(6).jpg

Drog said:
IT'S NOT FALLOUT IF I CAN'T MURDER KIDS. FUCKING BETHESDA RUINED EVERYTHING

It's less about Beth and more about faggy censorship, really. But one of my best playthroughs in FO2 was when I accidently killed a kid in a shootout and decided to go with it instead of hitting the quickload button. Soon my good character's world turned into a spiral of shit, everyone started hating on him and he had to learn some combat skills to survive the hordes of head hunters that ambushed him on occasion (a shame most of them used the kinda-rare Power Armor, which made some of the encounters retarded).

With a FPS mechanic, FO3 could have some great situations. For example, raider is keeping a kid hostage and you have to avoid hitting the kid. You could even use VATS if you're confident your skill is high enough. if it's low, you'd risk killing the kid so you'd have to aim manually. An evil character could just kill both and not care, later lying about how he couldn't save the kid (though that would twist lots of panties, so I think the quest would have to fail if you kill the kid).

Or a simple shootout in a place full of kids, forcing you to either risk hitting one or baiting the attackers somewhere else, or just running away.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
every negative cunt out there was hating on FO2 just as hard during it's own day. i'm hoping the mistakes made in that game are corrected.

i'm talking about writing and all it encompasses. not engine, not animations, not combat, not perspective. anyway, i just bet all *your* lives...not mine. i'm not that much of a gamblin' man.

EDIT: i'm cautious too. extremely. but i've got an open mind that it COULD be good. the perpetual "being negative just cuz i'm at teh codex" is as banal as FO3. get over it, ffs.

Azrael the cat said:
Not only would that make the quest a lot less jarring, but it would give you a small alternative quest chain to Moira's, which good characters could do half of, and which wouldn't cost you any extra art assets or anything else but some dialogue trees for you, Burke and the NPCs you're collecting from.

First Citizen Lynette requires you to do various things for her (including that dangerous raider cavern*) before she asks you to blow Gecko's power plant.

*though I'm not sure if the raiders are related to Bishop's questline and you can just use the holotapes to blackmail her. it's been some time.

It's a very similar situation that didn't come as jarring because she gives reasons beyond "Tenpenny thinks it's an ugly sight" (it's mostly "ghoul racism", though) and you have gain her trust first. You can also tell the sheriff about it, but even then you need the holotapes as proof, iirc.

Burke just asks the first shmuck he meets, and a normal person is more likely to tell the sheriff about the crazy murderer guy in the bar, even with promises to get a house in Tenpenny's Tower. Simms doesn't ask for any proof and just walks up to the guy (Simms is not a real sheriff, though, which is probably why he turns his fucking back to Burke).

It's like they were trying to redo the Lynette-Power Plant-Ghouls quests, but were in a hurry to insert it in the first town and skipped most of it, getting directly to the "hey, blow some shit up for me" part.

The pitiful 30 or so repair requirement ("master repairman" my ass) for the bomb also doesn't help things. The whole thing ends up looking like it was made in a hurry.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Droog White Smile said:
IT'S NOT FALLOUT IF I CAN'T MURDER KIDS. FUCKING BETHESDA RUINED EVERYTHING.

From the moment it was announced, I don't think anyone was upset with Bethesda over not being able to kill kids. It makes sense, considering Fallout's setting and choice-n-consequence structure, that they should be killable, but it's not Bethesda's fault that the atmosphere surrounding game production makes this impossible.

What is their fault is then looking at their design, unkillable kids and all, and thinking an entire location you're forced to go through with the most fucking annoying versions of the God-like brats would be a good idea. Are you kidding me?

Black

Arcane
So you still gain a perk per level?
Pretty boring banal shit, way to turn an interesting mechanic into "jesus fuck, I have to pick one of those shitty +10 to skill thingies?"
Also, traits?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Brother None said:
Droog White Smile said:
IT'S NOT FALLOUT IF I CAN'T MURDER KIDS. FUCKING BETHESDA RUINED EVERYTHING.

What is their fault is then looking at their design, unkillable kids and all, and thinking an entire location you're forced to go through with the most fucking annoying versions of the God-like brats would be a good idea. Are you kidding me?
Fortunately, some pioneering souls had released mods to make children killable, almost immediately after FO3 release (if I recall). The release timing was actually really convenient, as I was about to forever eliminate FO3, having "tested" it, from my hard-drive. This way, I could have one final romp through that FPS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom