Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Preview

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, May 11, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>You have an XBox360 ? <a href="http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/xbox360/fallout-new-vegas" target="_blank">Then this preview is for YOU!</a></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>Fans of the most recent <strong>Fallout 3</strong> and its ration of subsequent DLC content expansions will feel right at home. It's a skill-and-stat-intensive RPG-game <a id="KonaLink1" class="kLink" style="text-decoration: underline ! important; position: static;" href="http://www.gamerevolution.com/preview/xbox360/fallout-new-vegas#" target="undefined"></a>bolted onto a first-person exploration engine, suitable for FPS-style play... but modded with the brilliant VATS combat scheme, which allows the otherwise real-time gameplay to be paused at critical junctures to examine enemies for potential weak spots, target specific body parts and&mdash;action points permitting&mdash;even queue up several targeted attacks in a row for a devastating, gangbusters-style breach-and-clear on a room full of mutated baddies (or everyday, unpleasant fellow humans). At its most elegant, it's a best-of-both-worlds kind of scheme, allowing for both the urgency of point-of-view immersion and the deliberate application of bullet-time, tactical finesse.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Bullet-time, tactical finesse.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97825-fallout-new-vegas-preview.html">GB</a></p>

^ Top  
  2. Fez Erudite

Fez
    Tactical finesse = "push button to win" mode for your FPS

^ Top  
  3. Genma:TheDestroyer Arcane

Genma:TheDestroyer
    It's wasn't until I installed a mod that alters it to be real time, and lowers the damage boost a bit, that I realized just how overpowered vanilla VATS actually was. It's absolutely broken.

It's not 'bullet time', it's 'you gave a Chrono-Mage an AK-47 and a near infinite pool of mana'.

^ Top  
  4. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    There's a mod that turns it into actual bullet time. Rather fun, since it apparently doesn't change your defense

In vanilla, I didn't use it unless it was a lulsy enemy I was going to kill easily anyway

grrr...

^ Top  
  5. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Fallout 4-5 will prob be made totally in flash and hosted at newsgrounds for the final streamlining.

^ Top  
  6. Fez Erudite

Fez
    Progress Quest II: A Post Apocalyptic Screensaver

^ Top  
  7. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Fez Erudite

Fez
    My eyes will never recover.

^ Top  
  9. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    It's amusing that when Obsidian is making a game that is developed by Bethesda, suddenly there is a lot less criticism from professional gaming journalists.

^ Top  
  10. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight

^ Top  
  11. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm looking forward to AP, but I'm not even giving New Vegas a chance. Fuck the oblivion engine and anything made for it.

^ Top  
  12. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    huh? am i crazy in that i remember 99% of "professional" gaming journalists sucking FO3's cock?

^ Top  
  13. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Yep, I fully expect New Vegas to get the 99% blowjob treatment from Professional Gaming Journalists. This is actually good for Obsidian, however.

SUCK IT SKYWAY! ;)

^ Top  
  14. denizsi Arcane

denizsi
    The magazine scans are full of spoilers which sound only half-silly :evil: I can already extrapolate from the article and feel like I've played 3 times through the game with different choices.

^ Top  
  15. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    jaesun i don't get it what.

^ Top  
  16. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    My point is basically that because Bethesda is the Producer of this game, Obsidian will receive no bad criticism for this game, from say the unholy trinity IGN etc... it will get 9/10! 10/10!! GEAM OF YEAR!!!11

I'll keep following more reviews, and see if my theory is correct.

^ Top  
  17. As opposed to the other four Fallout 3s, of course.

Seriously, who wrote this shit?

^ Top  
  18. Black Arcane

Black
    Why did you return anyway? You won't like what's going on now with Fallout being inaccessible, Dragon Age being the best RPG since Arcanum and other stuff.

^ Top  
  19. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    ^Same reason you stayed, probably

^ Top  
  20. Achilles Arcane

Achilles
    :lol:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.