Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: Sonora - new Fallout mod from the Fallout: Nevada team

CharacterNik

Novice
Finished Sonora .
-The start is boring;
-everything is grey;
- music is out of this world level of amazing; -great special encounters(no pop culture reference bullshit);
-bad balance (i love when i count my ammunition) and on my 2 playthrough i found laser rifle right away from special encounter;
- Inferno location is one of the best things about F:Sonora.
And to those who finished it - how do i speak to Mexican army or they are always hostile to you?

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It seems that the morality of these games is inspired by the sexuality of Bioware's characters: everyone in the universe is bi. Here, it soulds like everyone is in the "middle" of the moral scale. And that doesn't sound at all plausible.

Dude you are so right I bookmarked your post.

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished Sonora .
And to those who finished it - how do i speak to Mexican army or they are always hostile to you?

Bloody Mess trait gives you ability to speak Spanish. From what I saw, it only gives you a conversation with the first guard. If you ask him to join he tells you to piss off. You can sneak into the base, free the scout there. If you sneak further to the right, you'll end up on a map with bunker. I couldn't sneak into that one, and you're fired on on sight. So I don't think there's a way.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Would be nice if they learn how to companions from Fallout 1.5, THE best Fallout companions experience ever made, beating New Vegas fair and square.
Resurrection is fun but necropedophilia is way too high on my edgy meter for a Fallout game.

Black Angel

Arcane
Resurrection is fun but necropedophilia is way too high on my edgy meter for a Fallout game.
Well, I want Sonora to take inspiration from Resurrection's companions, not.... THAT..... whatever the fuck that was I experienced on my first Fallout Bad Karma run ever.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Would be nice if they learn how to companions from Fallout 1.5, THE best Fallout companions experience ever made, beating New Vegas fair and square.
Just because it's in F2 engine that doesn't make them better per se. Companions in 1.5 are straight Obsidian's school of companion writing, no more no less.
"Ha-ha, latinoids are all drugged up clowns with chainsaws." Basic american stereotypes. 1.5 Res is set up in New Mexico, a little east of Sonora desert. It's funny coincedence how Sonora devs fucked up Spanish language perk by not erasing Bloody Mess effect because BlackDesigner doesn't like sFall and still uses WinXP.

Anyone still not finished Sonora? I fucked up and corrupted my savegames, does anyone has a save where all villagers are saved and just begun the BoS/Rangers questline?

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hey I am looking at doing this news post (for NMA) since my guy is busy jacking off, but I don't know shit about this mod, and the first post on this thread is all retarded. Give me a brief rundown of your current state of development, if you have an English patch, and how buggy/playable is this? I'm pressed for time and I don't feel like reading through 15 pages. Thanks.

WTF Am I Reading you say? I actually completely hate Fallout now (so I don't follow the mod scene) since Bethesda ruined it. I just do my best to keep people informed about it. Try dealing with Bethesdfags for 15 + years and you eventually just say fuck it and go and play UnderRail.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Bigg Boss aren't there already a thread there? Bits of juicy stuff starts in page 6 https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads...he-developers-of-fallout-nevada.214780/page-6
Also Proletären already made a news post https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-sonora-v-1-0-released-in-russian.219018/

However, if you insists:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...now-available-in-russian.120266/#post-6132395
Some concept art.
199d499fa7950dd6304c83b20329059e.jpg

dcvsmr6-c53257b4-9e7d-4abc-a6b2-003f2fafca35.png

dcxzz4h-6c321cbc-79be-4da6-a91c-91d9a9cb58cd.png

dec858e73df19e2715311e50709fd2ff-dcz2jn9.gif
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...now-available-in-russian.120266/#post-6132401
Some news.

Feb 8, 2019. Translated by Dozen on NMA.
Hola, amigos! Let's sit in the shade of this giant cactus. We've got half a bottle of tart wasteland tequila and some pre-war "Frito Bandito" chips. Now let's turn on the Los Panchos trio and share our griefs.

- When is the release?
We cannot provide a certain date so you shouldn't be hyped up about this, development can go not as planned in many ways. The same amount of work can be done either within a week or in a couple of months. Let's just say that currently out of 17 planned locations (5 small and 12 large ones) there are only 4 left to finish, besides the world map and in-game videos. And all this also needs a thorough testing and editing.

- What's up with the strange name of the project?
Sonora is the name of the desert around which the game takes place. The original name was Fallout: Terra Sonora, but we thought it was too long.

- When does the game take place?
Can't say. This is a closely guarded secret, almost a spoiler.

- Is there a car in the game? Power armor? NCR, Legion, Enclave, Brotherhood of Steel?
Let it be a surprise, you'll see in the release. Do you really want to know the game before you played it, remember Fallout 4?

- Will there be partners?
We make some story-bound partners limted by their individual quests (like it was in New Vegas). There are also characters ready to share your company for certain quests.

- Will there be crafting?
Only a few unique upgrades, as in Fallout 2. But each of them is really important for the respective weapon.

- Will there be familiar characters or locations from other parts of the series?
Not yet. Although we have a couple of ideas in mind. But there are some references and allusions.

- Will there be references to Fallout: Nevada?
All that's left of Nevada are just a few lucky sprites, and that's it.

- Will there be support for large monitors and modern operating systems?
We will try to make an adaptation before the release. In the meantime, we develop the project with the original resolution, small monitors and Windows XP in mind.

- Can we sponsor this project?
No, it would be illegal for us.

- Do you need help?
For now, we need a concept artist who knows how to depict locations and loading screens with the right atmosphere, we also need a 3D artist to create in-game videos.

- Will there be an English translation?
Several people have already volunteered to do the translation, but for now it's premature. We will solve the issue after the release.

- What mistakes did you take into account from the previous project?
Thank you for the good question, amigo [truth is, no one really asked].
Fallout: Nevada was an immature project with all the problems of newbie game developers (disunity and redundancy of content, imbalance, text mistakes, etc.). Now our goal is to make the right project in every sense, where all the content is needed, important and done for purpose. So don't expect Sonora to be like Nevada. It won't.

Thanks for the company, compañeros, but it's time to depart - the sun is high, soon this desert will be hell...

Mar 29, 2019
Meanwhile, Alexander Berezin, who joined us in September, continues to redo early graphics and create a new one for Fallout Sonora. With it, the game gets better, and the development time is getting closer!

(In the screenshot the updated main entrance to downtown Phoenix)
Q2yEqpea8KU.jpg

Mar 16, 2019

Fallout Sonora. Peaceful Follower of the Apocalypse - one of the possible companions.
-AnFBvH5OPM.jpg

May 1, 2019. Translated by Dozen on NMA.

"While some people are celebrating May Day, I have something to celebrate, too. I finished another location and assembled a new build of Sonora, the 20th in a row. Three more locations ahead, one of them is half-ready. Now I just have to finish the project for Fallout birthday!"
4Q0rRfiPR8I.jpg
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ailable-in-russian.120266/page-2#post-6134403
Here are some things I kinda skip on.

Translated by dozen on NMA.

[Play the recording of the interrogation]
"...So you're saying there were no defects in the robot and it acted on its own?"
"I'm afraid that doesn't sound quite right, señor officer... The robots of the Mr. Handy design can only perform assigned tasks. But look at the Wilson family task log! I think they had... some sort of family issues..."
"Family issues? Yes, we know about regular quarrels in their family, but how could this affect a robot that "only performs assigned tasks?"
"Well... The robot's interpreter is not perfect. When the Wilson mother threatens her own son "to fillet" him, and the son requests the robot to "kill his parents", something here could be misunderstood..."
"Do you even realize what you're saying? Your service center maintains robots which program is made to prevent them from doing any harm to people. And now these robots, as you say, 'misunderstood' something. Stop misleading the investigation! Admit the defect and we will reduce the punishment!"
[Stop playing the recording]

text:
"Welcome to the electronic filing-cabinet of the Mexicali City Police Department.
- Loading the database..."
WK5-BtVieYE.jpg

Fallout Sonora.
Light machine gun Mendoza C-2075, caliber 5 mm. After the relations between the US and Mexico deteriorated the latter was forced to develop their own weapons, this is one of them.
(art: Aleksandr Berezin):
IdhrdB7.jpg

Also NMA user 0wing has shown A hint from Nobody's Nail Machine, the original composer for Nevada, might be coming back for Sonora.
vn87JZiJFmw.jpg
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ailable-in-russian.120266/page-6#post-6511496
New screenshots by Alexander.
ddl8m9k-86552e57-68dd-4dfa-9a50-ac7027e291c3.png

ddlawlk-2ba1f377-f254-44e0-a9c1-b6fa0b9aa1f2.png

ddlb03i-5784dd43-9800-477c-a51d-80784811696e.gif

The guy on the lower right of the picture looks a lot like a supermutant. So this means that this could take place between fallout 1 and 2 or after fallout 2. What do you guys think? This probably takes place between 1 and 2.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ailable-in-russian.120266/page-7#post-6588403
All of this is translated with shitty google translate.

March 01, 2020

"Fallout Sonora is a cactus plantation. Artist A. Berezin."
kR_cdOmadRg.jpg

February 25, 2020

"Desert Rangers. These brave guys crushed under themselves the whole of southern Arizona and now not a single creature will pass through their territory without permission. Not everyone likes it, but the rules are the rules. Choose, son, on whose side are you ..."
j1qJasO2URU.jpg
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ailable-in-russian.120266/page-7#post-6598148
So guys from Nevada Band updated their site.

Особенности:
  • Нелинейный сюжет
  • Около 100 квестов
  • Новая карта мира: 12 крупных локаций, 7 небольших, 11 специальных встреч
  • Высокая аутентичность локаций
  • 1,9 Мб игрового текста (в первом Fallout было 1,7 Мб)
  • Новая музыка

Quick translation:
Features:
  • Nonlinear story
  • About 100 quests
  • New world-map locations: 12 large, 7 small, 11 special encounters
  • High authenticity of locations
  • 1,9 Mb game text (Fallout 1 has 1,7 Mb)
  • New music (From Alexey Trofimov aka Nobody's Nail Machine)

The game release should be around next week or so.

00428527c1d3da79a58e7e92e3ed2025.png

13 March:
Will be ready soon. Most likely during next week.
Mind the date, bro.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

No, that guy is a huge fag. I am much more manlier than him. I bench at least twice as much as he does and have my own mercenary army.

Bigg Boss aren't there already a thread there? Bits of juicy stuff starts in page 6 https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads...he-developers-of-fallout-nevada.214780/page-6
Also Proletären already made a news post https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-sonora-v-1-0-released-in-russian.219018/

However, if you insists:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...now-available-in-russian.120266/#post-6132395
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...now-available-in-russian.120266/#post-6132401
Some news.

Feb 8, 2019. Translated by Dozen on NMA.
Hola, amigos! Let's sit in the shade of this giant cactus. We've got half a bottle of tart wasteland tequila and some pre-war "Frito Bandito" chips. Now let's turn on the Los Panchos trio and share our griefs.

- When is the release?
We cannot provide a certain date so you shouldn't be hyped up about this, development can go not as planned in many ways. The same amount of work can be done either within a week or in a couple of months. Let's just say that currently out of 17 planned locations (5 small and 12 large ones) there are only 4 left to finish, besides the world map and in-game videos. And all this also needs a thorough testing and editing.

- What's up with the strange name of the project?
Sonora is the name of the desert around which the game takes place. The original name was Fallout: Terra Sonora, but we thought it was too long.

- When does the game take place?
Can't say. This is a closely guarded secret, almost a spoiler.

- Is there a car in the game? Power armor? NCR, Legion, Enclave, Brotherhood of Steel?
Let it be a surprise, you'll see in the release. Do you really want to know the game before you played it, remember Fallout 4?

- Will there be partners?
We make some story-bound partners limted by their individual quests (like it was in New Vegas). There are also characters ready to share your company for certain quests.

- Will there be crafting?
Only a few unique upgrades, as in Fallout 2. But each of them is really important for the respective weapon.

- Will there be familiar characters or locations from other parts of the series?
Not yet. Although we have a couple of ideas in mind. But there are some references and allusions.

- Will there be references to Fallout: Nevada?
All that's left of Nevada are just a few lucky sprites, and that's it.

- Will there be support for large monitors and modern operating systems?
We will try to make an adaptation before the release. In the meantime, we develop the project with the original resolution, small monitors and Windows XP in mind.

- Can we sponsor this project?
No, it would be illegal for us.

- Do you need help?
For now, we need a concept artist who knows how to depict locations and loading screens with the right atmosphere, we also need a 3D artist to create in-game videos.

- Will there be an English translation?
Several people have already volunteered to do the translation, but for now it's premature. We will solve the issue after the release.

- What mistakes did you take into account from the previous project?
Thank you for the good question, amigo [truth is, no one really asked].
Fallout: Nevada was an immature project with all the problems of newbie game developers (disunity and redundancy of content, imbalance, text mistakes, etc.). Now our goal is to make the right project in every sense, where all the content is needed, important and done for purpose. So don't expect Sonora to be like Nevada. It won't.

Thanks for the company, compañeros, but it's time to depart - the sun is high, soon this desert will be hell...

Mar 29, 2019
Meanwhile, Alexander Berezin, who joined us in September, continues to redo early graphics and create a new one for Fallout Sonora. With it, the game gets better, and the development time is getting closer!

(In the screenshot the updated main entrance to downtown Phoenix)
Q2yEqpea8KU.jpg

Mar 16, 2019

Fallout Sonora. Peaceful Follower of the Apocalypse - one of the possible companions.
-AnFBvH5OPM.jpg

May 1, 2019. Translated by Dozen on NMA.

"While some people are celebrating May Day, I have something to celebrate, too. I finished another location and assembled a new build of Sonora, the 20th in a row. Three more locations ahead, one of them is half-ready. Now I just have to finish the project for Fallout birthday!"
4Q0rRfiPR8I.jpg
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ailable-in-russian.120266/page-2#post-6134403
Here are some things I kinda skip on.

Translated by dozen on NMA.

[Play the recording of the interrogation]
"...So you're saying there were no defects in the robot and it acted on its own?"
"I'm afraid that doesn't sound quite right, señor officer... The robots of the Mr. Handy design can only perform assigned tasks. But look at the Wilson family task log! I think they had... some sort of family issues..."
"Family issues? Yes, we know about regular quarrels in their family, but how could this affect a robot that "only performs assigned tasks?"
"Well... The robot's interpreter is not perfect. When the Wilson mother threatens her own son "to fillet" him, and the son requests the robot to "kill his parents", something here could be misunderstood..."
"Do you even realize what you're saying? Your service center maintains robots which program is made to prevent them from doing any harm to people. And now these robots, as you say, 'misunderstood' something. Stop misleading the investigation! Admit the defect and we will reduce the punishment!"
[Stop playing the recording]

text:
"Welcome to the electronic filing-cabinet of the Mexicali City Police Department.
- Loading the database..."
WK5-BtVieYE.jpg

Fallout Sonora.
Light machine gun Mendoza C-2075, caliber 5 mm. After the relations between the US and Mexico deteriorated the latter was forced to develop their own weapons, this is one of them.
(art: Aleksandr Berezin):
IdhrdB7.jpg

Also NMA user 0wing has shown A hint from Nobody's Nail Machine, the original composer for Nevada, might be coming back for Sonora.
vn87JZiJFmw.jpg
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ailable-in-russian.120266/page-6#post-6511496
New screenshots by Alexander.
ddl8m9k-86552e57-68dd-4dfa-9a50-ac7027e291c3.png

ddlawlk-2ba1f377-f254-44e0-a9c1-b6fa0b9aa1f2.png

ddlb03i-5784dd43-9800-477c-a51d-80784811696e.gif

The guy on the lower right of the picture looks a lot like a supermutant. So this means that this could take place between fallout 1 and 2 or after fallout 2. What do you guys think? This probably takes place between 1 and 2.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ailable-in-russian.120266/page-7#post-6588403
All of this is translated with shitty google translate.

March 01, 2020

"Fallout Sonora is a cactus plantation. Artist A. Berezin."
kR_cdOmadRg.jpg

February 25, 2020

"Desert Rangers. These brave guys crushed under themselves the whole of southern Arizona and now not a single creature will pass through their territory without permission. Not everyone likes it, but the rules are the rules. Choose, son, on whose side are you ..."
j1qJasO2URU.jpg
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ailable-in-russian.120266/page-7#post-6598148
So guys from Nevada Band updated their site.

Особенности:
  • Нелинейный сюжет
  • Около 100 квестов
  • Новая карта мира: 12 крупных локаций, 7 небольших, 11 специальных встреч
  • Высокая аутентичность локаций
  • 1,9 Мб игрового текста (в первом Fallout было 1,7 Мб)
  • Новая музыка

Quick translation:
Features:
  • Nonlinear story
  • About 100 quests
  • New world-map locations: 12 large, 7 small, 11 special encounters
  • High authenticity of locations
  • 1,9 Mb game text (Fallout 1 has 1,7 Mb)
  • New music (From Alexey Trofimov aka Nobody's Nail Machine)

The game release should be around next week or so.

00428527c1d3da79a58e7e92e3ed2025.png

13 March:
Will be ready soon. Most likely during next week.
Mind the date, bro.

Well, I'm not sure why he didn't just tell me that when I posted it to him.

*runs diagnostic*

I see the reason it is not being talked about is because it is not released in English yet. Sorry bros. We don't get that many Russians at NMA probably because they have their own badass Fallout communities. I will post a bunch of the concept art to liven it up.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm not sure actually...

Yes, that was what I messaged him about. Thanks. I've been a bit distracted with other things and I was exhausted when I messaged him. I had to post about both of them, but I forgot who I told what. I was talking to my other friend about Sonora who also does the news occasionally.

You aren't Proletarian are you?

Either way Spacewreck is next.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Spoilers

Managed to finish this boring pile of nothing. Skipped the last 2 "towns", Casa Nueva and Mexican Army Outpost, completely, like opened the map, saw another shitty village and exited the map.

I took a weeks break from playing it and now managed to muster up strength to finish it and still, when I was clicking the last line of the finishing quest, I misclicked for a a doubleclick which skipped the ending slides...
The game is so boring, I didnt bother to load up save and redo like 10 minutes of running to see the slide - I dont care. This is true story! I dont know how the game ends...

The only mildly decent quests are around Casa Grande and The Road Warriors.
Lots of children involved in the quests in the game, whcih is kinda interesting.

The only gal you can fuck needs 4 CHA... I min maxed...

Speech is a pacifist (redundant) skill. Every quest I encountered can be alternatively solved by reputation (faction, world), skill checks or force. This design feels like handholding, and no child left behind.
In a way, Speech is a shortcut that potentially cuts quests.

Every town has a token hurt guy to use your pointless Doctor skill on...

The only game out of F1, F2, Resurection, Olymp2077, Nevada and Sonora, that has a lot of pointless combat, not counting random ecnounters. Rats and dogs mostly, its terrible. I killed 100 rats and 50 dogs before 20 men died. None of them from random encounters.
Maps are just filled with them.
Villa - rats and dogs, Junktown - dogs, Falgpole - rats and dogs, Bramin - rats raaats, Phonix - rats and dogs...
Its like they wanted to fill the empy maps with something...

The writing is schoolboy like bad. Eg "we are slavers, but the other side of the coin is that we build civilization by mining uranium!" or the typical "i am a tyrant that keeps order!"
And every faction is like that: with some idiotic moral-ethical explanation in dialogue for their misdeeds.

Gun progression is nice, gradual and you will switch to energy weapons too. Sadly, there are no tough fights in the game, except maybe the mutants in inferno if you start out of dialogue.

The game has no plot, no story. So the pacing can be completely fucked. I did not return to the village after I freed the villagers in Flagpole, I went to Phoenix and I skipped doing quests for the Rangers (because they are gay) because one of them sends you into irradiated place and I dditn want to spend money healing that shit before I had X-Rad. I land in Phoenix and go to Tu-san, dealing with Casa Grande and Road Warriors on the way. Tu-san sends me to Puerto. Which sends me to Inferno, where you get your power armor. But now you have nothing to do and no quest to finish... You might kill hte Rangers for the BOS or v.v, return to BOS and thats it, nowhere to continue... What you actually have to do to end this terrible slog, is return to the village, get their quests to sabotage some villages and then potentially work for BOS or Rangers to get their protection. Or just clean the map from all living things.

The game has a shitty censored words list :lol:
Q1JRP1P.png

I dotn konw if its used at char creation or not but its retarded either way...

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
With all these details about Fallout Sonora being told now that the game/mod is out the more disappointing it sounds.
While Fallout of Nevada had way more content than Fallout 1 and 2 had with more opportunities to use the non combat oriented skills to solve quests I found a lot of the storyline/quests/lore just plain boring or generic PA/Fallout content with there not being any genuine build up to an exciting conclusions
Most of it was just tasks and chores I did in order to earn XP so that I could improve the character in anticipation that I would require improved skills to finish the main quest with there being some hook like in Fallout 1 or even 2 that would at least feel that pushing through the boring stuff was worth it.
Quite a lot of people, organizations, and places I interacted with felt like watered down Fallout 1 and 2 places, even places that were suppose to interest me like Area 51.

When I heard that Nevada Band had taken some lessons from Fallout Resurrection which endgame I preferred infinitely more than that of Fallout of Nevada I had hoped for something similar alongside some well developed companions as well as more interesting midgame content with some elements that would feel new to Fallout.
And it is not as if not such possibilities are there from what I saw from Russian longplay videos on Youtube.

That Super Mutant crawler, Greenway Hydroponics, and the BOS ship/mobile base looked interesting

But again the storyline/quests/lore are in general average with apparently some very amateuristic writing approach on grey morality situations, apparently trying to make as much situations "grey" when possible like slavers who are obviously black on the morality scale despite their claims that they seek to rebuild civilization and industry (yeah they target criminals in general for forced labor but aren't above taking villagers if they need to meet a quota).
It feels that this effort of putting everything on the grey scale of morality is done for the sake of trying to make content sound more complex than the writers/designers really could pull off.
I am not going to say that I would be any better at it but this for the sake of balancing seemed to get rather out of hand when someone more obvious but perhaps cliche solutions might have worked much better. Cliches and tropes are not always bad.

What tops it off a little for me is now hearing that basically during the game the player is a glorified exterminator.

Perhaps Sonora goes somewhat deeper into local wasteland politics than the original games did, trying to build a more complex situation with no clear good and bad choices, but the pay off sounds so unrewarding.
The whole experience doesn't sound engaging at all.

dippy

Educated
What tops it off a little for me is now hearing that basically during the game the player is a glorified exterminator.

Perhaps Sonora goes somewhat deeper into local wasteland politics than the original games did, trying to build a more complex situation with no clear good and bad choices, but the pay off sounds so unrewarding.
The whole experience doesn't sound engaging at all.

I would disagree with you. I've not played RPGs much since Fallout 1 and 2 as I am allergic to the fantasy worlds. I have tried F3 and F3:NV but could not stand the shooter-focused gameplay after a few hours. I have recently tried ATOM but could not take its light-hearted atmosphere and quests seriously. I've also completed a couple of Shadowrun games but they are a bit of a different beast.
I may have missed some great examples of hard moral choices and amazing writing in other games (Bioware?) but I find Sonora quite captivating and engaging. Some quests were pretty lame and repetitive but I have enjoyed the world, its lore and overall atmosphere. I have found the way various sides were revealed to be quite entertaining and thought-provoking (even if I had to ignore certain issues with the quality of writing). You can actually see a lot of opportunities to avoid the "exterminator" roles with the mathlogic perk.

Actually, I'm interested whether you could share some good examples of the games with a better implementation of the aspects you have brought up. Thanks.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

Well it is not the design philosophy I have a problem with, utilizing various skills for more solving quests, especially ones that have gone very underutilized during Fallout 1 and 2.

What you kind of mention yourself is what I have issue with, the design and writing of the lore and the campaign progression though I don't know how to put that better it words as this is really an opinion.
But I feel that the world Sonora is setting up is not that interesting, especially because quite some of it is a copy and paste from Fallout 1 and 2.

I also don't think Fallout games should primarily be about combat but it does play a role in the game. But if the designers fill up empty maps or empty segments of maps with vermin the player has to fight or deal with I do think that the designers could have upped the challenge and have included more interesting confrontations.

What I feel is most at fault with the campaign, factions, and such was the writing such as trying to justifying for example slavery so that a slaver faction would still be considered morally grey. This kind of doesn't work because the player's starting quest is to free a number of captured townspeople including their own father.
The slavers claim they mostly deal in captured criminals which they sell on (claiming that this way these criminals repay their debts to society) but are not above capturing people from isolated villages and tribals to meet quotas.
So from the start the player should have some kind of bias or hatred towards the slavers and the people behind them and not feel ambivalent because the slavers claim it is all about industrialization and progress.

I don't think a Fallout campaign should be your basic generic hero epic (activate the water purifier) but if one does a campaign that heavily builds philosophical or ideological choices on who to support one needs to make the available parties more compelling in one way or another. I found the available end game parties unappealing in their own way.

Mud'

Scholar
I am making a playthrough of this game with English translation. I tried my best to stay faithful to the original writing. Is anyone interested in checking out?

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhkdZnbJN8I&t=00s

Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6YbsCGyBbI&t=0s

I really like this but shit man, why did you had to use fucking green comic sans to translate the game?

Also i wonder how long is it going to take to have a real English translation of the game.

dippy

Educated
I am making a playthrough of this game with English translation. I tried my best to stay faithful to the original writing. Is anyone interested in checking out?

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhkdZnbJN8I&t=00s

Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6YbsCGyBbI&t=0s

Nice effort, man. However, I'd say it'd be more productive if you helped with the actual translation of the game instead. See this topic where they are working on it :
http://www.nuclear-city.com/index.php/topic/1039-fallout-sonora-английская-локализация/page-2

There's a discord server you can join: https://discordapp.com/invite/ECGgQeG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom