Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: Sonora - new Fallout mod from the Fallout: Nevada team

Diggfinger

Arcane
*Replying to this post so I can virtually slurp anyone's a-hole when they update it*

This looks beyond amazing. How are they doing those talking heads, looks PRO!

Get some of the points of Nevada, quite unfocused at times and I'm not a mega-fan of the story ("Amnesia needs to be put to bed" - Tim Cain).
But otherwise it was an excellent project, hope translation this time is more smooth!

EDIT: Infinitron why dont I have a 'slurp-button'?? Bros can slurp me, but I cant repay their kind gesture :oops::shittydog:

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Get some of the points of Nevada, quite unfocused at times and I'm not a mega-fan of the story ("Amnesia needs to be put to bed" - Tim Cain).
But otherwise it was an excellent project, hope translation this time is more smooth!

:salute:

Also, it'd be nice to have some companions, since they use the last sfall version and all ...
Combat in Nevada (max difficulty) is easier than both Fallout games and they're not very difficult games to begin with.

Diggfinger

Arcane

:salute:

Also, it'd be nice to have some companions, since they use the last sfall version and all ...
Combat in Nevada (max difficulty) is easier than both Fallout games and they're not very difficult games to begin with.

huy say wut? Really? :retarded:

Clearly, Nevada has alot lower ratio of high-powered weapons found and ammo scarcity is crazy. Added to that is the complexity/cost of finding power armor and even getting good quality armor in general. Finally, followers are non-existent (except a dog in the latest version).

Compared to Fallout 1 where plasma-rifles are abundant and up-gradable and 2 where you can effectively waddle right into Enclave-base (with a little speech-skill and safe-scumming) within 15 minutes to get the Mark II Power armor - I fail to follow your argument?

Admitted, I'm still on my first play-through so finding good equipment earlier will probably become easier but still.
Are you seriously saying Nevada's easier??

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
waddle right into Enclave-base (with a little speech-skill and safe-scumming) within 15 minutes to get the Mark II Power armor - I fail to follow your argument?

Perhaps you shouldn't use exploits when comparing difficulties, then maybe you'd be able to follow?

I thought it was very easy too. Can't say if easier or not, but hardly anything challenging.

ironmask

Arbiter
Guess I just suck at playing fallout then, because I always have a hard time playing on normal.

ironmask

Arbiter
Here are some things I kinda skip on.

Translated by dozen on NMA.

[Play the recording of the interrogation]
"...So you're saying there were no defects in the robot and it acted on its own?"
"I'm afraid that doesn't sound quite right, señor officer... The robots of the Mr. Handy design can only perform assigned tasks. But look at the Wilson family task log! I think they had... some sort of family issues..."
"Family issues? Yes, we know about regular quarrels in their family, but how could this affect a robot that "only performs assigned tasks?"
"Well... The robot's interpreter is not perfect. When the Wilson mother threatens her own son "to fillet" him, and the son requests the robot to "kill his parents", something here could be misunderstood..."
"Do you even realize what you're saying? Your service center maintains robots which program is made to prevent them from doing any harm to people. And now these robots, as you say, 'misunderstood' something. Stop misleading the investigation! Admit the defect and we will reduce the punishment!"
[Stop playing the recording]

text:
"Welcome to the electronic filing-cabinet of the Mexicali City Police Department.
- Loading the database..."
WK5-BtVieYE.jpg

Fallout Sonora.
Light machine gun Mendoza C-2075, caliber 5 mm. After the relations between the US and Mexico deteriorated the latter was forced to develop their own weapons, this is one of them.
(art: Aleksandr Berezin):
IdhrdB7.jpg

Also NMA user 0wing has shown A hint from Nobody's Nail Machine, the original composer for Nevada, might be coming back for Sonora.
vn87JZiJFmw.jpg

Diggfinger

Arcane
waddle right into Enclave-base (with a little speech-skill and safe-scumming) within 15 minutes to get the Mark II Power armor - I fail to follow your argument?

Perhaps you shouldn't use exploits when comparing difficulties, then maybe you'd be able to follow?

I thought it was very easy too. Can't say if easier or not, but hardly anything challenging.

Even ignoring the Enclave issue, Fallout 2 also has:
a) ability to get followers immediately
b) several vendors which can be easily killed/looted (cracker in the Den, guns-guy in Reno)
c) abundance of money/equipment can be stolen with low-mid steal-skill

Sure, you can say I'm 'exploiting'. Point is, these loopholes either shouldn't be there or highly scaled down with easy fixes:
a) (Enclave-related) 100% speech skill required to enter Enclave (+place a few guards, perhaps?)
b) vendors don't drop all their stock
c) nerf steal-still
--> Nevada consistently avoids such exploits with clever (and sensible) in-game scenarios. I.e. getting power armor requires finding the parts, someone to build it etc. etc.

Fallout 1 is even easier than F2 (bar the power-armor exploit), but let's cut the guys some slack since it was a new and innovative game.

Last edited:

ironmask

Arbiter
I F--ing love his soundtrack for Nevada, some tracks are on par with Morgan's masterpiece.
Agree. One of my favorite soundtracks. And I was very dissapointed when Nevada team announced that they would only use fallout 1 music. I hope they changed their minds.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

It is easier, by far, not saying Fallout 1/2 are hard, still, there is some tough encounters and even random encounter can be dangerous at times (machine gun/pancor/assault rifle crit)

Here, there's far less enemies and their weapons sucks.
Also, having companions and more enemies per encounters increase the difficulty as the followers are far less efficient/dangerous than your main character is.

Saying this, i never used any shortcut to get powerful weapons early in Fallout.

In nevada, the only challenge is to take on a gang early on in New Reno with barely any weapon using doors/walls/grenades, i took out stryker's gang this way (they started it after i helped the scientist escape), without even using grenades with the basic SMG sub-machine gun and the hunter's rifle and no AP saving perk (6 AP burst / shoot)

Black Angel

Arcane
In nevada, the only challenge is to take on a gang early on in New Reno with barely any weapon using doors/walls/grenades, i took out stryker's gang this way (they started it after i helped the scientist escape), without even using grenades with the basic SMG sub-machine gun and the hunter's rifle and no AP saving perk (6 AP burst / shoot)
How many times you've finished Nevada?

I can't really argue about combat difficulty of the game, since I've only finished it once and it wasn't combat focused playthrough. I invested in combat skills, but only starting from mid to late game.

Still, I think Nevada's much more challenging to play, but I don't mean combat. Since they cleverly implemented shit load of content for skills allegedly 'useless' in Fallout 1&2, like Doctor etc etc, and non-combat skill checks are far, far more frequent in Nevada, the game is absolutely challenging in terms of developing your character and finding ways available for your build.

Perhaps combat is easy in Nevada, but I remember you won't be getting real good stuff before Winds of War, and as Diggfinger pointed out, the Power Armor is truly an endgame content this time because you ought to invest a lot of time scour the entire gameworld for parts and finding the guy who can put it together, not to mention the shitload of money needed to pay him.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just once, it was fun but i don't plan on doing it again.
About the money, suffice to say i had 105 in gambling and as you spend quite some time in Reno ...
Well, i found out any cash you get after 99999 is lost.

Sure, some combat skills have been used a bit more (felt a bit like wasteland 2 for that part) and yes, gathering super armor parts was quite the trip but the vault item list is even worse, i don't even know what you get if you complete the tech's list.

I really enjoyed winds of war and salt lake locations, Reno felt too much like the old one (which i don't like particularly either)

Still, the combat part is a turn off and the fact you don't get companions worse, first, because it's fun to have more enemies and companions in battle, second because they can carry your shit, here, you have to wait to get the car.
Also, the trick to get the car's part was weird, i was radiated (almost) to death twice trying to climb down the hole with a rope and had to check the russian walkthrough for this one.

Overall, very good work, average translation, underwhelming combat.

Black Angel

Arcane
Sure, some combat skills have been used a bit more (felt a bit like wasteland 2 for that part) and yes, gathering super armor parts was quite the trip but the vault item list is even worse, i don't even know what you get if you complete the tech's list.
The vault item list also intimidated me at first, but upon noticing that it can be found literally in one part of a vault-like buildings/shelters, I immediately keep my eyes open for those and it became fun for me to scavenge for those parts.

Still, the combat part is a turn off and the fact you don't get companions worse, first, because it's fun to have more enemies and companions in battle, second because they can carry your shit, here, you have to wait to get the car.
Also, the trick to get the car's part was weird, i was radiated (almost) to death twice trying to climb down the hole with a rope and had to check the russian walkthrough for this one.

Overall, very good work, average translation, underwhelming combat.
Hmm, I'd say the combat being like this is really because of the design of the system in the first place. To make combat good and even fun you'd need to change the combat of Fallout 1&2. No companion is a bummer, I admit, but personally I feel like it forces me to change the way I behave when it comes to what items to carry. And since this mod features inventory tab, it's relatively easier to manage inventories than in Fallout 1&2 and 1.5:Resurrection.

Didn't you get some anti radsuit or even rad meds before going to Gecko?

Diggfinger

Arcane

It is easier, by far, not saying Fallout 1/2 are hard, still, there is some tough encounters and even random encounter can be dangerous at times (machine gun/pancor/assault rifle crit)

Here, there's far less enemies and their weapons sucks.
Also, having companions and more enemies per encounters increase the difficulty as the followers are far less efficient/dangerous than your main character is.

Saying this, i never used any shortcut to get powerful weapons early in Fallout.

If Nevada was too easy for ya, maybe give the Crazy Edition a go

Fallout: Nevada (Crazy Edition) 12.03.2018
Brief description:

• Numerous bug fixes of the original game.
  • The game has become more difficult and is a real Post-Apocalypse.
  • Added a single partner to the game (Dogmeat).
  • Added new locations, items and NPC.
  • Added new art to the game.
  • Added new video.
  • Correction of engine errors.
  • Expanded and fixed of the original maps.
  • Rebalancing of items and critters.
  • Several items and critters have been restored.
  • Expanded craft weapons.
  • Installed sFall2 v. 1.8 (by Crafty).
  • Installed "Inventory Filter" v. 1.3.5 Final (by Mr.Stalin).
  • Installed High Resolution Patch v.4.1.8 (by Mash & Drobovik).

Diggfinger

Arcane
It seems that the same team is working on a new one.

The developer also says that it is going to have alot of new scripts, prefabs and macros that are going to have a noticable influence on the gameplay. In particular, he mentions that the way of getting experience in the combat will change. Now the amount of experience you get will depend on the amount of damage you've inflicted.

Wow, this is actually hard-core. So when you start out with only basic melee weapons, you are double-penalized in terms of receiving less experience than you would when using laser/big-guns etc.?
Wonder how they balance that -> too easy in end-game?

It seems that the same team is working on a new one.
poster_FS.jpg

thumb.png

thumb.png

wyaOt-Lt0ic.jpg

thumb.png

thumb.png

Schwing! Sonora is in Mexico, so it’ll be interesting to see what that looks like through the prism of these Russkis.

I wish some deep pocketed developer would just hire these guys and give them a pile of money to make something amazing. Nevada was so damn good, even with the incomplete translation near the end (what the hell does the lead ghoul in Vegas say anyway?).

Anyone know if Olympus 2207 is still being translated?

Sonora desert is in both mexico and southern arizona, the Inn even says Tucson Inn which makes me think they know something of the area because there is a tucson inn and it looks sort of like that...I look forward to this since I lived there for awhile and went to school at U of Arizona.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Wow, this is actually hard-core. So when you start out with only basic melee weapons, you are double-penalized in terms of receiving less experience than you would when using laser/big-guns etc.?
Wonder how they balance that -> too easy in end-game?
Combat XP in F:Nevad was very small and insignificant compared to quest reward XP and with no way to increase it BTW.
You still have Better Criticals from vanilla Fallout and if you roll high, bonus dmg points from STR might be handy. Or, who knows, Heavy Handed might see play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom