Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: Sonora - new Fallout mod from the Fallout: Nevada team

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Regarding the combat skills - all of the main quests are designed in a way so you can avoid the unneccessary bloodshed. I didn't try to be pacifist but something tells me that Sonora can be reliably beaten without killing anyone.
Almost. I did it a way back; technically you don't have to kill anyone, but robots near ZAX, rat king and ranger in San-Bramin were to be removed.

Ranger should have a speech option: either a bug or oversight.
Rat king could be killed by dynamite or environmental traps.
But those fucking robots in the bunker... stealth doesn't help, only if you run past and soak damage.

Beans00

Augur
Has there been any update on the translation for this game?

Really enjoyed 1.5 and nevada so I've been really looking forward to this.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Has there been any update on the translation for this game?

Really enjoyed 1.5 and nevada so I've been really looking forward to this.

Was wondering exactly the same.

Seems at least there a Google translated version out, anyone tried it out?

Beans00

Augur
I'll ask here. If i am to play one of 1.5 or Nevada, which one i should pick? What's the Codex Consensus(tm) on them?

1.5 is harder, smaller and more focused. The whole game is pretty good and I enjoyed the amped up difficulty. There's no real dip in quality throughout, iirc there's 3 major cities, 2 smaller early game cities and a few end game/bonus areas. 1.5 has companions which are pretty well done and some really good branching quest lines.

I've seen people bitch about the end game being too hard but I ripped through it at that point without much difficulty.

Nevada is very good, it's a pure solo adventure and the world feels a lot more grim. There's 3 major cities and probably a dozen minor areas. It takes much longer to get better weapons.

Nevada is fairly easy throughout with random difficulty spikes. Especially at the end sequence where I died more then the rest of the game combined.

Biggest problem with nevada is the uneven quality. New reno makes a return and is fantastic(easily as good as reno in fallout 2), as are most of the smaller areas. Salt lake city is another major location and is decent enough. Las vegas is a garbage location and was probably the last thing they did before the end game. The end game is ok(but you can tell it's pretty rushed) but very poorly translated to the point where it's hilarious.

Both add some fantastic music tracks

Nevada probably took me around 30-35 hours, 1.5 probably around 25. I did everything in both games I could.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I'm willing to give this a shot but the installation .exe has about a dozen checkboxes still in vatnick-ese, mostly for sFall settings.. A little help from an EE codexer would be appreciated.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
zhNxDTM
https://ibb.co/zhNxDTM
It seems I don't have Cyrillic language packs. Oh welp.

Alphons

Cipher
While they had some problems last year, translation leader announced on their Discord that they already translated enough, that even if he had to do it alone he'd finish before 2024.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
FEATURES OF THE ASSEMBLY:

• Official installer created for Nevada Band developers
  • Possibility to choose a clean game, without unofficial additions
  • Ability to choose the original soundtrack from Fallout 1 (at the request of the author of the game)
  • All unofficial add-ons are optional
  • sFall Extended v.4.3.3 & HiRes Patch (by Mr.Stalin). (by Mr.Stalin).
  • Inventory Filter v.2.0 (by Mr.Stalin).
  • Key Mod v.1.2.1 (by Foxx)
  • Auto-opening of doors when passing through them (by Mr.Stalin).
  • Book Seller in Phoenix v.1.5 (by Foxx)
  • A fix_black_locations has been added to the folder with the game (apply only if a black screen is used when entering the location).
From their forum.

Edit: Anything with a version # is clearly the add-ons, and the first choices are for music.
That leaves the 1st 3 boxes for sFall and the bottom one for 20/50%.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I've been testing Fallout mods in preparation for doing some playthroughs and want an optimum experience with a nice balance of QoL enhancements and a more pleasing widescreen resolution (but not something ridiculous like 1080p+). So I selected Sonora as a testbed along with the google translate english patch someone included earlier in this topic.

Impressions:

- even the default 1280 X 720 is too high a resolution for Fallout. I was in the first starting area/village that got ravaged by the raiders and came across an important NPC wearing a coolie hat. Only it wasn't a coolie hat, but a sombrero. I blame the still too-zoomed-out perspective. Since this was an early defining moment for the whole premise of this mod, a sombrero should never be mistaken for a coolie hat. I will experiment further with finding the ideal resolution.

- the google machine-translated patch poster earlier was surprisingly decent, at least in that first area. I had no trouble with its english menus, UI and dialogue. I may continue just playing this mod for fun instead of using it as a test lab, but probably not. I'm itching to replay FO1 after last having played it over 15 years ago. But first, that perfect resolution for FO and my 1920 X 1080 display.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
How hard and fast is the main quest timer and reaching which destination stops the clock? I've freed the crowd in Flagstaff but got the first 'warning screen' just before reaching Phoenix.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Can't answer your question but man do I hate when there's a hidden or not-so-hidden timer in a game and you suddenly die with not even the most minute hint that you're about to lose hours of progress because your last saves were too close to the fatal event. I'm looking at you Dark Seed! Watcha wanna grief me like that fer?!

Codex Year of the Donut
The correct resolution for Fallout on a widescreen monitor has pillarboxing.
windowboxing if you use a 1080p monitor.

it would be nice if gog provided unaltered files rather than files with mods preinstalled

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I did use that very guide at first but decided that 960 x 540 that others here on the 'dex suggested is best since its overhead perspective is better for actually seeing details (coolie hats from sombreos), such as they are with artwork from 1997. I prefer not to have letterboxing but can live with it if forced to.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I discovered one issue which I assume is related to the translation. The middle of three merchants in Phoenix downtown will display 'error' if you float over, and CTD if you select her. I don't know if she is involved in any important quests or stocks items exclusive to anywhere else.

There are a few quests/conversations locked behind 'doctor' skill, but it took me a while to figure out that regular stimpacks would work for most of them rather than rarer doctor bags.
Adding consumables, lockpicks or parts (for repair) is an interesting choice. The shift of two handed rifles to 'big guns' didn't make it to the translation of the skill. I wouldn't have figured it out if it wasn't mentioned back in this thread.

There is a subquest to heal tribals before the Ranger will initiate combat. Are there others than the two inside the chief's building?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom