Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Tactics - New Character Help

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
All this threads of wasteland 2 made me want re-play Fallout Tactics, and i want some help with my build.
I played it through sometimes, as a kid, but only in real time.
My favorite character was a min-max sneaky unarmed/sniper, with only 2 points in constitution.​
It worked because of some real-time exploits. If i had the chance to drop on someone with my fists,
he was as good as dead and i was not going to get any damage. Because the ap kept regenerating,
and characters being hit can't fight back i usually could throw enough punches until i ran out of ap.
The same applied when i sniped. Because of my stats, i could shoot my target way before he could damage me, and because of the ap regen he would be dead before he reached me.
Now i am going to play turn based, the way it was meant to be played, so this character won't be​
viable. I can't make a unarmed character with low hp because in tb combat he is going to get hit, and hard when up close. I am thinking of tagging unarmed/melee, energy weapons (so he is still relevant at the end without having to ditch a tagged skill) and sneak.
Sneak was very useful in RT, it allowed me to relocate my sniper from cover to cover without worrying​
getting shot, but the some doesn't apply to TB in short distances since i can use my turn to travel safely.​
From what i remembered, having a sneaky character was mandatory in some quests if you wanted the best outcome. Sneaking in to turn off alarms and deal with hostage rescue missions was a life saver.

What experiences do you have with stealth in FOT in TB?
Any tips in stats and traits?
So far i am thinking in going with high str, agi and con with small frame and heavy handed (won't probably get to lvl 24 so slayer is not an issue).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You're gonna find that there are issues with playing Tactics in turn-based, mainly that sometimes enemies will remain invisible until they're right up next to you, because moving around a corner while in turn-based mode doesn't remove the war fog.

Stealth is fine as long as you don't get too close given your skill.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
You're gonna find that there are issues with playing Tactics in turn-based, mainly that sometimes enemies will remain invisible until they're right up next to you, because moving around a corner while in turn-based mode doesn't remove the war fog.
Didnt knew about that will watch out for it. Thanks.
There's pretty good modification created by Endocore on NMA:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1382
Just sayin'.
Looks like a must have, will give it a spin.

laclongquan

Arcane
One thing of note:
Healing xp
lockpicking xp
are awarded to the doer only. Meaning your temporary lockpicker and doctor will take his share of xp and sit in reserve roster in the later parts. Also, doctor has big chance to have massssssssssssive XP in a 4 Horseman of Apocalypse Special Encounter, if (s)he has enough med supplies to heal all their wounded HP.
So if you so choose, your MC being a doctor and lockpicker will get permanent share of XP and advance forward much faster.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Some of the changes in Redux seem heavy-handed, but perhaps necessarily so?

For example, Fast shot + Bonus rate of fire = obscene OPness in that there's like 1AP cost for pistols. I couldn't find a solid explanation in readmes or posts for why this is so, other than its just a side-effect of him tweaking weapon AP costs and saying that's a small price to pay for the overall improvement. Oookaay... but maybe I'll just forego that sort of build and whichever recruits have fast shot. And I guess there's always the editor...

I'm giving the game a whirl for the first time in years, I'm not quite sure whether I should go Redux or just Unofficial Patch (which Redux includes) or just base 1.27.

Just been re-familiarising myself with the controls in 1.27, I didn't remember it being quite this easy.

Maybe I'll try Redux "Tough Guy" Insane, anyone gone through like that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom