Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Tactics

Gwendo

Augur
Here, usually, two magazines come with a complete game and I end up buying the one with the best game (the magazines' quality are about the same, anyway). Next month, one of the magazines will offer the game "Fallout Tactics", and I'm quite interested in it. But even if the Codexers are are Fallout fans, I've never heard you talk about Fallout Tactics, so I wonder what is your opinion about that game. Is it worthwhile?

Drakron

Arcane
Sort off ... its pretty much all combat in the Fallout universe using Fallout system.

Zomg

Arbiter
Yeah, shitty canon, terrible story and voice acting. It's not bad as a pure tactics game, though, and there's some fairly fun number-crunching austistic munchkinism in optimizing a ton of characters in SPECIAL. The last quarter or so isn't very good even on a facile level, though.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, combat-wised it's not too bad. Just as long as you treat it as a pure combat game and ignore any silly non-combat skills. Beyond that, it's not a "Fallout" game as such. It's barely even set in the same world given the complete disregard for canon and what-not. I have to admit I got bored with it by about mission 8 or 9 I think. The same tactic of "run your guys up behind other guys and let them automatically fire their guns until said bad guy is dead" seemed to be the only worth-while tactic that got you through the painfully long levels quickly enough.

corvax

Augur
what magazine and where? i want me a copy too. oh yeah, and the game is ok as long as you don't have your hopes up for it being a true fallout universe

Chefe

Erudite
Drakron said:
Chefe said:
What's the other game being offered?

None, BGamer offers every month a full game, last month was Lionheart.

I see. I read this:

Here, usually, two magazines come with a complete game and I end up buying the one with the best game

Thinking that two seperate magazines have different games. Oh well, I say if it's coming in the magazine and the cost isn't too much, go for it.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You got bored by mission 9? I was bored by mission 3. It ISNT a good combat simulator. They did away with everything that made Fallout's combat passable (hex system, lack of complication). I remember I got to about one mission after you get the Humvee, then quit out of sheer boredom.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I hated it. I like knowing exactly how far my character can move and for how many APs without having to guesstimate range, then wait for the AP cost to pop up.

LCJr.

Erudite
A lot of people hate it for not being Fallout 3 or the aforementioned butchery of Fallout canon. Those arguments aside it's a mediocre game at best. AI is literally deaf, I'm guessing from all the radiation and homebrewed rotgut liquor, so you can have your 6 guys in a firefight with a bunch of baddies and the ones on the other side of sheetmetal fence or in a tent don't notice. To me it felt more like a puzzle game than tactics. You looked at the map and figured out how to sneak up behind the baddies and shoot them in the back.

If you want good tactical squad based combat get a copy of Jagged Alliance 2.

Section8

Cipher
It's far from anything special, but has occasional moments. Just don't expect much actual Falloutness, or particularly stimulating combat for most of the game.

Zomg

Arbiter
LCJr. said:
If you want good tactical squad based combat get a copy of Jagged Alliance 2.

Did anyone else play JA2 mostly by finding a good defensive position and then popping off a shot to alert all the guards, who would run up and be blasted to bits by your interrupt fire? It just seemed like one of those strategies that breaks a tactics game, like spotting in X-Com.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
The only places where I actually do this sometimes are Tixa, one part of Alma (H13) and the redneck farm, but since this strategy isn't very satisfying, I only do it when I visit these places early in the game with crappy equipment.

Section8

Cipher
Did anyone else play JA2 mostly by finding a good defensive position and then popping off a shot to alert all the guards, who would run up and be blasted to bits by your interrupt fire? It just seemed like one of those strategies that breaks a tactics game, like spotting in X-Com.

I did, but found it wasn't particularly satisfying, and didn't always work. Now I'm more of a silent night ops killer.

Gwendo

Augur
Chefe said:
Drakron said:
Chefe said:
What's the other game being offered?

None, BGamer offers every month a full game, last month was Lionheart.

I see. I read this:

Here, usually, two magazines come with a complete game and I end up buying the one with the best game

Thinking that two seperate magazines have different games. Oh well, I say if it's coming in the magazine and the cost isn't too much, go for it.

And you thought well. It's two monthly magazines that are published with a complete game, every month (sometime more than one, if you include some indie games).

This month, the games were Lionheart and Savage. Next month, one of the magazines gave a preview of the game: Fallout Tactics. The other magazine's game is still unknown.

When I read FALLOUT something, my radar gave an alert, but it seems the game was a disapointment. Or are you codexers being just too harsh with it?

LlamaGod

Cipher
no, it's truely a piece of crap

tactics go out the window when you can just stomp down the street and tell everyone to fire their machine guns all at the same target.

not to mention it butt rapes the Fallout setting on top of that.

So you have the worst of both worlds.

Tekar

Novice
I tought it was a great game. it isn't an RPG but a turn based tactical squad based combat game (phew) I played it till the end and enjoyed it alot. tough the first part was more fun that the ind imho. Definatly worth getting over many other possible games they might give away for free.

bryce777

Erudite
It is not an rpg at all, but a mission based game.

It is not very good at all. In realtime combat is stupid beyond belief, and in turnbased the enemy moves so slow it's extremely annoying.

Combat gives pretty much ZERO experience to you, too. Also, supplies only replenish at the end of big missions.

Many weapons are just totally unfeasable such as big guns and small guns.

You could probably have ammo for one character with 'big guns' but otherwise it's a useless waste and you are bound to ruin your party not knowing this in advance.

Overall, it is a stinker.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, I might have been spoiled by the two good X-Com games, but Fallout Tactics is... well, it's meh. I can only agree with the other posters. Avoid this game like a leper.

On a related sidenote, a German magazin comes with Morrowind this month... Which is slightly better than Fallout Tactics. But then again, putting your hand into a blender is slightly better than Fallout Tactics, too.

elander_

Arbiter
I also enjoyed it very much. True it's a tactical combat game not an rpg but team-turnbase mode rocks. I have allways played the game with at least one medic/mechanic, one scout/thief/, some demolitions man/heavy gunner and some snippers. Real-time combat was a bit retarted but then i allways walked with my team in formation and used turn-base to place my men manualy whenever there was trouble. Sometimes i would use the thief sneaking skill to scout the terrain ahead and disarm traps, then my sniper to pin-point barricated foes and my demolitions man to kill them with grenades.

LlamaGod

Cipher
are you guys praising it fucking russian or something

russians have a hankering for shitty real time abortion games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom