Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: The Frontier - New Vegas mod set in Portland and full of prosperous content

Gargaune

Magister
Oh come the fuck on dude.
Untitled.png
You think when they played MGS5 they were like, "Dude, that line is brilliant! We so need to add that into our mod!"
Again, you don't add dialogue like this that is from other works and take it seriously. I am a novice writer and even I know this. The only time that you add dialogue like this is with a joke like Wild Wasteland. Doing otherwise makes you look like a hack.
Referential humour is almost always a mistake, you're scuttling your own fiction's suspension of disbelief for some cheap gag at the expense of another property or, worse, current events. I get the instinct, felt it myself, you're working on something and it suddenly comes to you that it's the perfect opportunity for an inside joke, but it's best you control that urge - it only works very sparingly, and typically only off the critical plot path and referencing the same or related IPs.

Two examples that come to mind:

- In NWN HotU, you can talk to Deekin about his latest book, which actually tells the story of your adventure in SoU, and you can answer that "the ending was rushed". This just about works, it skirts by, because while it's obviously acknowledging the most common complaint about the SoU expansion, it's also well contextualised within the current fiction.

- In the Umar Hills inn in BG2, you come across a book that's an obvious joke on the Blair Witch Project, and this doesn't work. Sure, it brought a smile to my face, but it also immediately kicked my focus out of the diegesis. Instead of staying rooted in the fictional world, I started thinking "wait, the Blair Witch came out before BG2?" and, naturally, "man, I'm old."

Sadly, modern writers just can't seem to help themselves and will gleefully sabotage their own fiction at every turn.

ekrolo2

Learned
Sadly, modern writers just can't seem to help themselves and will gleefully sabotage their own fiction at every turn.
A crutch becoming more standard as the years go by. If someone can't write a competent piece of dialogue (God forbid entire plot) then they resort to referential shit to distract you with momentary, cutesy feels or resort to Joss Whedon-style self-deprecation. Because if you call yourself shit first, it somehow makes your shit smell less?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
This entire thread makes me appreciate storyfags more.
I learned my lesson with New California aka Project Brazil. I'll never download a story based mod ever again.
Ghoulifying Tandi is all kinds of low.
This goes beyond bad writing.
Imagine the kind of mind that would think this would be a good idea.

oregano12

Educated
This mod took more than 3x as long to make as fnv.
:M

I mean, how long did you think it would take to make a fan mod of this size? NV was made by a stable team of 300 paid employees, Frontier was made by a ever changing team of ~30 people who only worked on it during their spare time. This comparison is just unreasonable. Really seems like some people in this topic are losing their sense of proportions and are judging Frontier like it was a fully professional endevour. Not saying Frontier should be spared of criticism, but mind your expectations.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This mod took more than 3x as long to make as fnv.
:M

I mean, how long did you think it would take to make a fan mod of this size? NV was made by a stable team of 300 paid employees, Frontier was made by a ever changing team of ~30 people who only worked on it during their spare time. This comparison is just unreasonable. Really seems like some people in this topic are losing their sense of proportions and are judging Frontier like it was a fully professional endevour. Not saying Frontier should be spared of criticism, but mind your expectations.
300 is a way too high number, Obsidian never had that size of staff, maybe now with Microsoft. Also, good writing and good sense are things that dont require alot of money to have. If they spent half the energy they wasted on scripting all that crap that ends having shit gameplay anyway into actually making a New Vegas mod instead of Fallout: Modern Warfare, this mod would had been released years ago.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ghoulifying Tandi is all kinds of low.
Yeah, ghoulifying anybody is retardation on itself. I was on a quest where some girl was lost on a town full of zombies, she got inside one of the houses and for some strange reason, there was a radiation source in there, inside a random generic house (Yeah, modders failing basic common sense, must be a side effect of severe autism), because she got exposed to what was like a few hours of low dose radiation, she became a ghoul and the whole story of her quest was for you to kill her because she didnt want anyone to see her that way.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, I criticized Fallout 1.5 for sticking way too much to Fallout 1 and 2 and not adding enough new stuff, after this mod, I see the error of my ways. Run as fast as you can when a modder says he wants to be innovative.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Also, fun fact, the developers sneakily removed the America enslavement in the recent hotfix. Instead of being real artists and adults and owning up to their mistakes they silently removed it and hoped no one would notice. What a bunch of pussies.
So they don't even value their own ideals... Noted.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, fun fact, the developers sneakily removed the America enslavement in the recent hotfix. Instead of being real artists and adults and owning up to their mistakes they silently removed it and hoped no one would notice. What a bunch of pussies.
So they don't even value their own ideals... Noted.

So they removed the last reason to play this mod make America my personal bitch, dully noted, also wombyn fighting in Legion. :hahano:

Terra

Cipher
Looks fucking terrible, like the guys behind the Outer Worlds haircuts were given complete creative control over this mod. It's astounding projects reach this point without anybody realising what they've made is utter shite.

Zer0wing

Cipher
So they removed the last reason to play this mod make America my personal bitch, dully noted, also wombyn fighting in Legion. :hahano:
Well one can always stick to hotfix 0.3.0 to keep the opportunity. Or wait for inevitable Sexlab Frontier modpatch.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fuck your Fallout: Nevada or whatever faggot shit you are doing with the Black Isle Fallout series nowadays.
Nevada is better than Fallout 2.
Nevada main plot read like a confusing bad fanfiction, dunno if it was the english translation but I stopped because I had no idea of what was going on, I was truly disappointed after reading people hyping it as fuck, only played the begining though, does it get better? If you sell it good, I might check it out again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom