Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

fanboy karma

triCritical

Erudite
IT EXIST! IT REALLY DOES!

OK, just about every game made from a developer I like, or a that I anticipated works fine. Little to know problems, even ToEE! :shock:

Then there are the other games, you know the game not made by a company your fond of... Games like KotOR and NWN, which for some friggin reason refuse to work on my machine! KotOR worked fine for a couple of days and now I have crashes to the desktop, with the inability to restart without a reboot. WTF!

Anyone have any ideas... I am going to check out the support clinic, err forum right now.

specs.

WINDOWS (FUCK ME UP THE ASS) XP
2.4 GHz processor
Radion 9700 8x turned on,
Abit IS7 with Intel 865 PE chipset
SB live,
512 Meg's of RAM PC2700.
and a DVD+/-RW by cendyne (I think)

Seriously, I really do believe a game works better if you are a fanboy.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
go to game****world get a new exe if they have it and try it.

Mayby the protection is the fault.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I had those too, very annoying. Try disabling sound from the configuartion startup menu, it fixes 95% of crashes.

EEVIAC

Erudite
I think it depends on your perception of crashes. Generally I don't care very much, KOTOR crashes for me every few hours, so does X2, and the monsters in walls ToEE thing happened quite often (I shouldn't have been resting in unsafe places anyway.) I just reeboot and start again. I'm a compulsive saver so I never really lose any game information.

I understand the post is in good humour, but now that you mention it though, I don't see why I (we) should be so accepting of what is essentially sub-standard software. When did software stability become so awful? Patches are almost accepted now and they shouldn't be. The last game I played completely without a single anomaly was Rise Of Nations. If Microsoft can QA their products that well, why can't others?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hmm.. Tri, does it seem to crash after/during cut and/or loads creens? That's what it was doing to me until i grew a brain and reupdated my drivers.

And, I know how you feel about this. Frustrating as heck. :x

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
Hmm.. Tri, does it seem to crash after/during cut and/or loads creens? That's what it was doing to me until i grew a brain and reupdated my drivers.
Cool. We've been waiting for you to grow a brain.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
KOTOR is a tad unstable for me at the moment so I'll wait for them to release the patch before I play it again. It shut down my computer in some knid of peculiar fashion which caused my keyboard, monitor and sound to go off while the CPU, modem and mouse continued to work when it crashed during a cutscene. It ruined everything I was downloading at that time.

I had to shut off my main power supply to my computer to get it to start working again because the monitor and keyboard wouldn't come back on. I think it was a horrible motherboard/PCI/sound related crash. I have one of the Intel motherboards on their 'conflicts' list.

Bugger it.

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
Ahh.. He trolls again. Typical. :roll:
You're still confused as to what trolling means. Either way though you deserve it. Now go write another whiney response with lots of misplaced semicolons and eye-rolling smilies. You know you can't resist!

EEVIAC said:
The last game I played completely without a single anomaly was Rise Of Nations. If Microsoft can QA their products that well, why can't others?
How quickly you forget WindowsME. :P

Anyway, to help you out, triCritical--

Sounds like a corrupted save or a memory problem, perhaps. Maybe even overheating? Anyway, do a full virus scan, run AdAware and Spybot and remove all found entries, restart, do a Scandisk, restart, update all your drivers--being sure to check forgettable things like motherboard drivers and Windows Updates--, restart, run a Defrag, then restart.

If it doesn't work after all that, it's the code's fault, not yours.

triCritical

Erudite
I installed the latest drivers and lowered my resolution from 1600x1200 to 1280x960(?) and was able to play for about an hour and half without a crash. Did anybody else have any problems with the computer freezing up when your restart after a crash?

Vault Dweller said:
I had those too, very annoying. Try disabling sound from the configuartion startup menu, it fixes 95% of crashes.

When you say disable sound does that mean it will not have any sound. Or does it just disable hardware sound, and hence I am left with emulating sound. I remember sound being a big problem with NWN too. Anhow, is there a solution to SB and their crappy ass drivers? Companies like Soundblaster/Creative and MS make me hate monopolies.

Hmm.. Tri, does it seem to crash after/during cut and/or loads creens?

Yeah it normally crashes around cutscenes and switching in and out of inventory/character screens. It rarely ever crashes while doing normal things.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Sound skinda like what it was doing to me. like I said, if updating your drivers didn't help; not much more help I can be.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
Sound skinda like what it was doing to me. like I said, if updating your drivers didn't help; not much more help I can be.

Well I have not experienced a crash since the have been updated, which was only about an hour of play. Wow, normally I have updated ATI drivers, and have to roll them back...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
triCritical said:
When you say disable sound does that mean it will not have any sound.
No sound. That sucks. Totally. :x
I updated the drivers as well but it didn't help me much.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Ahh.. Maybe you solved it.. You shall see..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom