Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fanstratics: A HoMM 3 Spiritual Successor

Aemar

Arcane
They could've chosen any other name, but they didn't.
They really wanted something that can be instantly recognizable so they could cash in on the nostalgia for the original Heroes series. :smug:

Last edited:

Silly Germans

They could've chosen any other name, but they didn't.
They really wanted something that can be instantly recognizable so they could cash in on the nostalgia for the original Heroes series.
Then they should have called it Champions of Strength and Sorcery or so. And not like something that sounds utterly retarded. I hope that the choice of the name isn't any indication of what will follow, but i am pessimistic.

Casual Hero

Augur
The name should have no bearing on the actual quality of the game. We can't judge it until we actual see what the style is. At this point, it's too early to be leaning either way.

index.php

Arcane
7Sq7e0y.png

Lagi

Savant
so wtf is this? a wall of text to create artificial hype? "slow burn for hardcore fans"
:mixedemotions:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"A passing conversation would hopefully go something like this...
- Playing Heroes 3?
- No. Fanstratics.
- Fan-what? Fantrastics?
- No. Fanstratics.
- That's a fucking dumb name.
- Yeah."

That's how that casual conversation would go.

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Filthy Kalinite, AdvancedHero, would like me to pass on the following message:

I just want to reply to the last message posted there with the following:
"Well, as he stated in the above newsletter, nobody was
actually supposed to know about this yet. He created the
website out of necessity to create a landing space for
the "stealth announcement", but the secret got out a
lot sooner than he expected, so there really isn't
anything to show yet. He is only really posting at this
point to accommodate for all the people who discovered the
project "too soon". A nice gesture from him, really. He isn't trying generate false hype;
it was the fans who got wind of it too early who are perhaps over-hyping it.
Which would probably include me- oops.
Just give it time; at the moment it is too early to think
too hard about it."

Blake00

Learned
Huge HoMM fan and have been a member over at Celestial Heavens forums for many years now! They were the ones who told me about this project so I've been getting these subscriber emails too. Hope it goes well but it's so early days! Was glad to see he's finally buckled on the terrible name and is going to do a poll lol.

Caim

Arcane
Name it Heroics Of Magical Overlords. Then once you're done with the game and all the expansions name the gold edition Full Heroics Of Magical Overlords.

Aemar

Arcane
http://heroes3wog.net/fanstratics-halloween-update-5-factions-towns/

Fanstratics – Halloween Update #5 – Factions (Towns)

Fanstratics Factions?

I have designed 9 Factions, not including Neutral Troops, which could be considered a unofficial 10th Faction. There are also conceptual markers for 2 or 3 additional Factions, which could be part of subsequent Fanstratics (FST) expansions, assuming the game reaches market and is moderately successful.

Note, I say Factions… not Towns. In Heroes 3, we should have changed the terminology from ‘Towns’ to ‘Factions’, but we were trying to remain somewhat consistent with the Heroes 22 convention (Barbarian Town, Knight Town, Warlock Town, etc.). This is the reason the largely human culture was called ‘Castle’ and not something else, like… the Alliance. In Fanstratics, each culture will have a proper Faction name.

How many Factions ship with the initial game, is ultimately dependent on budget. If crowdfunding and Early Access sales meet expectations, it would be reasonable to craft and ship all 9. If crowdfunding and Early Access sales do not meet expectations, we may be forced to craft and ship less than 9. There is always the hope, post release sales would generate the revenue to continue building the remaining Factions, but there are no guarantees.

Starting next month, I’ll detail a little about each Faction, but you can already begin to deduce the various cultures from the released concept art. To date, each piece of Troop concept art is taken from 1 Faction, and this will continue until we have revealed 9 Troops. Thereafter, we will start another cycle of 9. I’ll reveal conceptual details for the first Faction, starting with the December Newsletter.

Fanstratics is currently in pre-alpha production. For future updates, please subscribe to newsletter.

Will there be a forum for suggestions and feedback?

At this stage, I’m unsure. Typically, if someone likes the game… they tend to quietly enjoy it. If someone plays the game, but is upset with a particular aspect… they join the company forum and vomit verbal poison.

I’m looking at the viability of an in-game system to report bugs and give feedback. In this way, we’d get the player evaluations we desire, without the public misbehavior. Regardless, any feedback system won’t happen until Early Access.

Will Sir Mullich be in the game?
‘Sir Mullich’ is copyrighted by Ubisoft, and will not be in the game… but it wouldn’t be proper, for a spiritual successor to HoMM, to not have the screwy expression of ‘David Mullich’ somewhere in the game. I have told David, of my desire to put him in the game, and he hasn’t voiced any opposition. Of course, we will need to get a recent photo of him, which shouldn’t be a problem, as he likes to ham it up for the camera.

Would you work with Ubisoft, if they approached you to make another HoMM game?
I seriously doubt Ubisoft would approach me. If they did, I would want specific guarantees (production, financial, and creative), and I strongly doubt they would acquiesce. Overall, when you consider the collection of Might & Magic games Ubisoft has created, I suspect they have made money, but not the big numbers they desired. Unfortunately, for Ubisoft, Might & Magic has become a middling franchise, suited more for easily marketed spin offs. Which leads into the next question.

Have you seen Might & Magic Era of Chaos?
Yes. I have been playing Era of Chaos (EoC), since it became available outside of China. It’s about what you would expect from a F2P mobile game; semi-automated game play, very long progression system, specific pay-to-win elements, etc. This being said… it isn’t bad. In many respects, the Heroes 3 lore, characters, and mechanics, are well suited for a mobile translation. I must admit though, it’s a little odd seeing the HoMM3 ‘universe’ given another life in another genre. Once HoMM5 hit the shelves, I thought Erathia and Catherine were at a logical end.

This month’s Troop concept sketch is the Feral Vampire.

fanstratics_feral_vampire.png

A very strong Warhammer-esque vibe for this month's featured unit concept.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I'm still miffed by this
Will there be a forum for suggestions and feedback?
At this stage, I’m unsure. Typically, if someone likes the game… they tend to quietly enjoy it. If someone plays the game, but is upset with a particular aspect… they join the company forum and vomit verbal poison.

All forums are will attract shitposters, but they also provide good feedback. He sounds like a child who can't handle criticism.

Also, claiming players who enjoy the game do so "quietly" is false.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Fuck feedback. Most high quality games were made without input from sniveling shits. This could turn out well, not exactly thrilled about the "2D in 3D" business but the concept art looks solid. Oh yeah, seems Greg got himself a twitter account just for this but he hasn't posted anything yet. My approach: come back one year.

Casual Hero

Augur
I agree with Kalin and Parsifarka.
This is one developer who I feel like I can trust as far as their vision for the game goes.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Bros, I will make this really cool game. Just like the nineties when life didn't suck. Here's a .docx, written by me, saying that I will so you can trust me. Bros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom