Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fanstratics: A HoMM 3 Spiritual Successor

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
New one is out and one bit caught my eye:

Prior to 1999, the public’s ‘cultural knowledge of the fantasy genre’ was limited to classical architypes. Since 1999, due in large part to video games, the public’s ‘cultural knowledge of the fantasy genre’ has expanded. In 1999, if I had proposed a spell casting, anthropomorphic alligator (Gatorkin Caster), I’m relatively confident JVC would have given me a sour glare and shot it down. Today... most people wouldn’t blink.

Is that really true? Are spellcasting alligators really part of the "fantasy genre" or are they random shit that someone came up while drunk? Is "cultural knowledge" now richer or people simply just don't care anymore?

I don't think it's true. I guess that nowadays we have spell-casting Aligator since Egyptian god Sobek was featured in Smite so I guess there is one game on the market with spell-casting aligator. Technically he's a crocodile but who gives a shit. But it's not like outlandish design weren't a thing back then. I mean you had Sacrifice where units didn't really look like anything you could find in fantasy and War Wind where one of the factions consisted of walking bushes. Though AFAIK neither of these was a major best-seller so maybe he's right to some extent.

Casual Hero

Augur

Prior to 1999, the public’s ‘cultural knowledge of the fantasy genre’ was limited to classical architypes. Since 1999, due in large part to video games, the public’s ‘cultural knowledge of the fantasy genre’ has expanded. In 1999, if I had proposed a spell casting, anthropomorphic alligator (Gatorkin Caster), I’m relatively confident JVC would have given me a sour glare and shot it down. Today... most people wouldn’t blink.

Is that really true? Are spellcasting alligators really part of the "fantasy genre" or are they random shit that someone came up while drunk? Is "cultural knowledge" now richer or people simply just don't care anymore?

Of course that is fantasy. Fantasy doesn't have to be gritty medieval settings with dragons; think about things like the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Illiad, and Journey to the West. To say that fantasy is exclusive to Western Europe is a very gross reduction.

Blake00

Learned
Yup looks like newsletter 12 is out now. The last one posted in this thread was 9 so here's the new ones:

https://www.fanstratics.com/fstnewsletter10

https://www.fanstratics.com/fstnewsletter11

https://www.fanstratics.com/fstnewsletter12

Almost everyone knows that Heroes of Might and Magic came from King's Bounty but nevertheless the part where JVC tells Greg in newsletter 12 that he renamed the King's Bounty sequel to HoMM to tie in with their Might & Magic series was interesting as it really shows that HoMM1 was developed as a proper sequel to King's Bounty and not just a spin off.

Jim Cojones

Prophet

Heroes of Might and Magic III already had lizard people among Fortress heroes who don't seem to be a significant part of any classical mythos. I'm not sure why would anytime Caneghem be opposed to green anthropomorphic reptiles but somehow cool with blue anthropomorphic reptiles.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Heroes of Might and Magic III already had lizard people among Fortress heroes who don't seem to be a significant part of any classical mythos. I'm not sure why would anytime Caneghem be opposed to green anthropomorphic reptiles but somehow cool with blue anthropomorphic reptiles.

Lizardmen were part of DnD bestiary since the first edition. Most HoMM creatures are inspired directly by the Monster Manual, not mythology. Notice how Gorgons and Medusas are 2 completely different monsters, with Gorgons being bull-like creatures. Unlike the Greek mythology, but exactly how they appear in DnD. I can see JVC allowing Lizardmen which had precedence in fantasy gaming but not Aligator wizards. After all the big appeal of HoMM series was waging wars with creatures you usually fight against in RPGs, which doesn't work that well if the monsters you command are some weird OCs nobody had ever seen before.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
If anyone wants to ask Greg a question about Fanstratics there's a question taking thread over at Celestial Heavens that no one is posting in. If you don't have an account there I'm happy to quote you there. Needs to get to 12 questions or it won't happen...

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/16/17308

Okay ill bite.

1. What are some innovations you are planning to bring to game compared to classic Heroes ? (Not sure how to phrase this part so feel free to edit it) While the game will follow the spirit of classic heroes, you are not straight up copy with improved graphics.
2.What do you plan to do in terms of storyline, do you intend to present completely linear story or allow some degree of choice and consequence, Im not speaking about giving player option of what they had for breakfast but of having player able to make decisions at pivotal moments where it is completely in character for hero to actually choose different solutions or choices without breaking character just to allow player to make a choice.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestion, Blake00. Here are twelve questions I'd like to ask him, though three of them have already been put forward by an user in CH (yourself, I guess) and perhaps some have been answered already:

1. Will there be any novel approach to sieges? Will creatures be able to tear down the gate without the assistance of artillery?
2. Will the active involvement of heroes in combat extend beyond casting spells/using potions? [question 3 in post #5]
3. Will players be able to assign stat points upon levelling up or will only choose secondary abilities? Will there be custom heroes?
4. Will there be multiple levels to maps (v.gr. underground, skyroads, etc.)? [question 2 in post #5]
5. Will heroes be able to move stealthily in the adventure map (seen in H4)?
6. Will all creatures have upgrades or just some of them? Will there be alternative upgrades/dwellings for creatures? [question 6 in post #5]
7. Will players be able to transform castles to their own alignment?
8. Will there be caravans or portals connecting towns? Will players be able to create tunnels/gates around the map (outside cities)?
9. How do heroes acquire spells? Will there be spells for modifying the way heroes traverse the adventure map? Will there be spells that affect enemies on the adventure map (à la Disciples)?
10. Will there be special units able to operate the adventure map through unique interactions but not to lead armies or capture landmarks (e.g. thieves who sabotage mines)?
11. Is the development focus to deliver multiplayer balance or mainly building fun singleplayer campaigns?
Less relevant than the previous questions but still interesting since it remains a controversial title,
12. has he played Heroes IV? If so, what's his verdict on it?

Last edited:

nobody would have cared then or now... what is a lizard-man spell-caster, or a kobold spell caster..is an alligtorkin really that much different?

Blake00

Learned
Thanks guys, I'll quoted your posts over there. Now admin Pol has more then enough to choose from. :)

though three of them have already been put forward by an user in CH (yourself, I guess)

Yup that was me. Great minds think alike haha.

Aemar

Arcane
The planned factions:
  • Allegiant - Castle
  • Boggish - Fortress
  • Chimerans - Conflux, though Fulton says it's largely a new faction
  • Infernals - Inferno
  • Krasadox - Stronghold
  • Necrotics - Necropolis
  • Stoutbluds - Dwarves/Tower elements
  • Thornwood - Rampart/Wood Elves
  • Zubhewen - Goblins, trolls/Dungeon elements

Mazisky

Magister
I don't wanna be the doomsayer but I am afraid this may follow the typical pattern of those kind of projects.

-Concept art showcase till 2028
-Game get canceled in 2029

Latelistener

Arcane
You're being optimistic. Usually it's:

- Kickstarter campaign with a lot of promises
- Deal with a publisher that asks for top grafiks, purple hair and lootboxes
- Mediocre game that no one gives a shit about because it tries to sit on two chairs simultaneously

Holy god what a terrible, bad, no good, extremely poor name. Fanstratics? It sound like a new book for scientologists.

And the faction names are also pretty bad.
  • Allegiant - Castle (Allegiant sounds and looks dumb)
  • Boggish - Fortress (Boggish sounds like a general description of terrain, not a group of people)
  • Chimerans - Conflux, though Fulton says it's largely a new faction (This one is ok)
  • Infernals - Inferno (Straightforward and fine)
  • Krasadox - Stronghold (Well I suppose it's pronounceable)
  • Necrotics - Necropolis (What a lazy asshole. And it sounds bad. Just call them Necrids if you must be so lazy. Necrotics again sounds like a book for scientologists who want to branch into necromancy)
  • Stoutbluds - Dwarves/Tower elements (The "bluds" part is dumb but its fine I guess)
  • Thornwood - Rampart/Wood Elves (Fairly generic but ok)
  • Zubhewen - Goblins, trolls/Dungeon elements (So is this supposed to be a clever pretend language way of saying subhuman? Or am I just searching for meaning in gibberish?)
I love that he wrote so much defending the awful name that he clearly realizes is awful. I keep thinking of that skittles commercial where they talk about the "Juicedratic equation". Also love the excuse "All the good ones are already taken" what a lazy asshole. Why not just say "All the good games are already made"?

And seriously, I get being a lazy asshole. Just don't be a stupid lazy asshole. I can pull better names out of my ass on the spot: Champions of Sword and Sorcery, Legends of Blade and Blaze, Dudes of hitting and shooting, Untitled HoMM3 Knock Off Project, 90s Dev Needs Money, "Fuck You, You'll Buy It", Nostalgia Quest of Strength and Lore, Project Dolphin...

I'm pretty sure i'm in the minority but I just liked Homm2 better. I enjoyed the campaign much more. The HoMM3 campaign felt disjointed and I just didn't care. Also the way you were pushed to have as many heroes as possible due to the low level caps in each level completely went against my preferred playing style. HoMM3 was probably better in every technical way but the campaign didn't grab me.

Homm4 was not worthy of the name, it made me sad and I tried to like it.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there anything but concept arts? because, well, Songs of Conquest alreadyl looks like actual game, while this is like a "I imagine my game will look like this".

Casual Hero

Augur
We've been over this already. If you do not believe in the project, you are free to hold that idea. As for me, I am losing nothing by being optimistic about it.
Either I get a game at the end of it, or I don't. The last thing I will do is send the creator ill-will or any extra stress just because I'm mad he has an ambition.

Aemar

Arcane
Is there anything but concept arts? because, well, Songs of Conquest alreadyl looks like actual game, while this is like a "I imagine my game will look like this".
At this pace at least a year will pass before we see any sort of in-game screenshots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom