Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Fantasy General II by Slitherine Games

Martyr

Arcane
publisher: Slitherine. this most likely means the game will cost 40+ shekels (on discount).
developer: Owned By Gravity. never heard of them before. but of course it isn't SSI, that's pretty bad ... not sure if I should get my hopes up or not.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I know I'm being way too needy here, but what better game to actually go for nice, stylized 2D. But nope. Potato 3D it is.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ss_8115868fb6660902213f9dddda1f9341670dc8e2.jpg

ss_286395b3c0c21fb7d8deec89d7dd8ad0f2472d0e.jpg

oh for fuck's sake...

yep, game does not exist for me anymore.

Martyr

Arcane
tbh what little I've seen of Fantasy Wars (FG's "spiritual successor"), seems to be better than the screens Darth Roxor posted.
but after all this might be the early stage of development, so atm I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

rezaf

Cipher
Fantasy Wars' biggest weakness was its extremely puzzle-like approach to level design. Even PG is often criticized for this, but FW cranked it up to eleven.

Other than that, I agree with Zboj, they should've gone with stylized 2D instead of 3D. Who if not Slitherine can do something like that?
I mean, the 3D looks serviceable, but it's not the same. Why even go for Fantasy General 2 as a title in these circumstances?
The built-in audience who will also appreciate the new art-direction is minimal, I'd presume. Just because nobody can sue for something generic as Fantasy General 2, not that whoever owns the rights to SSI's franchises now would bother.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Let's see:

-Original devs long gone
-Shit new graphics
-No gameplay shown
-Random announcement years after the origial
-Publisher known for overpricing games

What could go wrong?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I did enjoy Fantasy Wars when I started playing it, but it's one of the very few games that forced me to quit because of graphics. The colours and bloom were literally raping my eyes

I know I'm being way too needy here, but what better game to actually go for nice, stylized 2D. But nope. Potato 3D it is.
Are there any good recent examples of that? Can't expect some small studio to come up with their own visual style, and as this 3D puke seems to be the current standard for strategy games, naturally they copy it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Are there any good recent examples of that? Can't expect some small studio to come up with their own visual style, and as this 3D puke seems to be the current standard for strategy games, naturally they copy it.

15613.jpg

And given that in Panzer General & Friends regiments are typically depicted as single dudes/machines (trios at best), the comparison is more than apt.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Some other examples than Battle Brothers:
78757C465D03570A36970BCCFFA6399F89B68C78

33F2A6ED0C13534D3F13006CF4D28757C395F49C

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Warbanners style, just a bit less Eastern European looking, would have been fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom