Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2 finally fixed!

CorpseZeb

Learned
So... How about you find that instruction that empties memory, reverse it so that memory is never emptied and...

As Sea already wrote, without proper SDK, modder is probably limited to the change a single/simple values. And, if the "respawn count" (or "time to sent checkpoint to the limbo" (but it can mean, after a half-hour of gameplay, FC2 will be occupied 13568 GiB of memory or something...)) isn't within them... you are out of luck. Probably.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pffft, how much RAM can it consume... Surely modern day programmers produce highly optimized data structures that only consume few bytes worth of data per area!

:troll:

hiver

I did some searching.

It's not that their respawn is timed, it's once you get a certain distance from a checkpoint, the checkpoint leaves the computer's memory, so when you come back it'll be loaded back in in it's default, occupied, state.
The game doesn't save any information about what you have previously done in an area, except for bigger mission events such as blowing up a bridge.

simply amazing
un..fucking...believable...

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yes, of course, but there must be reason for that stupid checkpoint structure and I highly suspect, ADHD style of gameplay is not the only one...

Ps. Games like F3 or OBN also works in the mode of "clusters" respawing enemies (but it can be modded, fortunately - aka no-respawn mod for the F3), because if console lacking highly in something, that be ram for non-graphical purposes. Real open world "full-game" A.I's are rare species (e.g Stalker series).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So... How about you find that instruction that empties memory, reverse it so that memory is never emptied and...
Because then you'd have to save the game state, and as far as I know that isn't included in savegames etc. You would specifically need to write new code that would make exceptions for certain things - for instance, get rid of corpses, guns and so on but retain enemy deaths (probably requires assigning a unique variable to every enemy in the game, something that hasn't been done I'm sure), or even add a new timer that says "okay, 3 days until respawning enemies." In other words the game was never built with it in mind, so it's not something mods can fix without an SDK.

Also if you did exactly as you proposed, i.e. never emptying the memory... it would completely ruin the game's performance and could lead to data corruption very quickly. The entire point of memory management is to mark and unmark memory as used when necessary, and if you don't do that you tend to end up with major problems. And as I said, if you don't include that in a savegame anyway, it's all going to disappear the second the player quits the game (or, his/her computer crashes, which seems more likely in this case).

Besides, saving every single change to the game world gets really, really tough. The way games like Skyrim do it is they assign a byte to changes made to the default game package, rather than the entire game world, otherwise you'd have a massive save file. The performance problems with the PS3 version of the game were a direct result of save files getting too big and bloated for the console's small memory capacity to handle. And of course, even Skyrim resets stuff every few days to make sure save files don't get too big, though this kind of factors into gameplay as well (i.e. you can always go back to an old dungeon and replay it against new enemies if you want).

This sounds exactly what Ubisoft were looking to avoid with Far Cry 2, except they arguably went overboard or decided constant respawns were good for gameplay - in fact, if I recall correctly, that's exactly what they did do after playtesting found that players were too bored driving around without action every 2 minutes.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane

remember this? i do. i also remember it not being in the game.

to fix far cry 2 you need more than just a little bit of upgraded stealth and less iron men walking around.

Don Peste

Arcane

:retarded:

Well, that says a lot about your memory.

Yeah, you've got all of that in the game.

I'm playing it (50% already) and I don't need any mods.

Some screens:

D08C3EAB7469B020F0ED6416B6D50397FACA0D34

7FBE904B20F6B6299BFF2AF35DD761496D12BB70

5F8142B1134E11E459BAC8BFE431EED08791425B

25DB36E357AFE5BC2D42A893CDC6695293D12D6A

E95DFE65F2D006509D3A9E02F701364F5545BD3B

4D5526204F78EBFBDF5A18B48D954A2DCC7598A8

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
well, what do you know. someoneshouldering a wounded comrade actually can happen.
but it's not a viable tactic. i tried setting it up for at least 20 minutes. it happened a grand total of ...once.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Bullshit. I primarily played as a sniper. I did this all the time. I think it only happens when you have a higher infamy however, or at least it happened later in the game as I recall.

Enemy AI in the game is actually very good, especially for an open world title without cover systems to baby all the interaction. Enemies dive out of the way of vehicles and explosions, use suppressing fire, snipe, fire rockets from high perches to drive you out of cover, etc. In vehicles, they also try to ram you, or force you off the road if you're in a car. It's nothing amazingly sophisticated, but it all works very well.

mck

Cipher
I actually really loved Farcry 2. My only real complaint was shitty stealth and AI.

Deleted member 7219

Far Cry 2 is one of the most disappointing games I've played. Ok, this mod might fix enemies being bullet soaks, but it doesn't fix the respawns, and it was those that made the game unplayable for me. I really liked some things in the game, mainly the atmosphere and the outstanding scenery (African Heart of Darkness beats generic tropical island for me), but that wasn't enough to keep me playing when I reached the second area and found out, yep, enemies respawn there too.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The game had so much going for it that was ruined by a number of bad design decisions. Chief among them being the incredible lame respawns and corridor nature of the map. The respawn wasn't even a negative, it really ruined the game. For a moment I really got my hopes up for another go at this game when I saw the thread title but alas. I guess the game will always be an 'almost.'

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, I'll still try it out with the mod, but yeah, it was a frustrating "near miss"

In addition to already mentioned respawns, the two things I absolutely HATED were the fucking malaria (yeah get some blur in your face, what's that, you wanted to explore? lol fuck you, go get syringes), the fucking gems (fortunately trainerable the fuck out), and the FUCKING UNLOCKING OF GUNS BY REPETITIVE AMBUSH MISSIONS. Whoever was responsible for those decisions is a fucking dimwit moron fucker.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Says a lot about the game that I fucking loathe respawns for the most part and totally unrealistic ones make me pretty much stop playing normally, yet I persevered to the end because the actual world, the gunplay, running through the grass blind firing, trying to avoid being encircled, the mercs with their vicious taunts(there's this real mix of fear and rage in their voices that I haven't seen replicated elsewhere so well) all this stuff was great.

Dear God, why the respawns, why????

All I can hope for is FC3 will not have this shit to such an extent or it can be gotten rid of.

Actually the author of this wrote:
I am working on it, but I am going to leave the checkpoints in. You need some enemies to fight between you and your objective.

So it seems that it is possible to get rid of checkpoints altogether just that he's fine with it..:M

bonescraper

FC3 might not have that retarded respawn system, but it's a major step backwards anyway. I prefer my FC2 with its flaws.

So it seems that it is possible to get rid of checkpoints altogether just that he's fine with it..:M
Um, yeah. Respawning enemies or no enemies at all. Which is better and why?
:retarded:

Angthoron

Arcane
Tough choice there. I'm fine with respawns, but only if they'd be a bit more reasonable. Like if I clear a checkpoint to make the upcoming mission easier to go through, it'd STAY cleared for a bit.

Quilty

Magister
It would be wise to release two versions of his mod: with and without the respawns.

Deleted member 7219

I always thought respawns were ok as long as they took time. It makes sense for enemies to gradually take back an area a couple of weeks after you took it out. It doesn't make sense for an area to be brimming with bad guys only minutes after you went in and slaughtered them all, unless those bad guys are reinforcements from elsewhere. But there's no explanation like that, it is just a mechanic that means you never feel the sense of progression or achievement, the game world is completely unreactive.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What really looks great is that graphical improvement mod though.
I tried it out. In-game it looks awful. Colours are crushed everywhere, stuff is simultaneously oversaturated and too dark to make out, it pumps up the existing bloom, etc. Maybe it's more an issue of trying to play the game with it on vs. just looking at it in screenshots, but considering all the guy did is tweak some colours using a standard FXAA injector (i.e. something fucking anyone can do in about 5 minutes) I'm not obliged to be too sympathetic.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I'd prefer respawning patrols on the road (in limited number, depending on infamy) to the respawn checkpoints on the road... I fucking hated this game so much... I don't know if I can retry it.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I'm not obliged to be too sympathetic.

it's pretty much the visual equivalent of those dodgy winamp plugins that proclaim that they will impart breathtaking clarity to your mp3s

even moreso in that people using both actually think they actually work well and fixed something that needed fixing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom