Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2 - opinions?

Ermm

Erudite
Recently started Far Cry 2, so I wanted to hear some opinions.
It's pretty good so far. Great mix of shooting + nice touch of realism here and there (at least there is much for a FPS with good graphics).
I hate that malaria thingy. That is bit unnecesary. Also, enemies driving around is tiresome, if you want to shoot animals with bazooka.
Graphics are very good, and game is very well optimized.

Fun fact: Even popular Mr.Boilerplate loved the game. I remember reading on his Youtube page that he has completed it several times (even on the very hardest difficulty).

The malaria is unecessary, but it doesn't bother you too much - I never had it show up in a really inappropriate moment.

Advice : Avoid driving on the main roads. Enemy respawn on chokepoints is crazy and they always catch up with you, forcing you to brake, turn around and shoot them.

Advice 2: Only loot grenades from enemies, the game even states that their guns are rusty and shitty. Combat is a lot less frustrating if you're using your own guns.

Game is pretty nice, usually you have a few choices on how to attack a base. the flare gun and the flamethrower are great for creating some mayhem, and sneaking requires actually being sneaky, not just pressing the "sneak" button.

Tycn

Savant
Repetitive and shit. Unrealistic also. Combat is broken and the 'immersion' gimmicks get old quickly.

They hyped the fuck out of the map editor, which was indeed easy to use but could only make multiplayer maps, and the multiplayer was dead on arrival thanks to P2P and general shittyness. A Crysis-like editor and mod tools could have allowed the game to be fixed, but no.

Raapys

Arcane
Could have been a decent game I thought, but the whole game is basically like 'drive there kill those guys' repeated infinitely, and the countless ambushes you'll suffer on the way doesn't help either. It just becomes tiresome after a couple of hours of play.

Ermm

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Realism in Far Cry 2?

Graphics are very good
If you forget that they are 6 years old and there are better examples.

popular Mr.Boilerplate
Who?

I meant video game realism.I specifically said some nice touches of it, not that it is fullblown Africa survival sim. Some things which you couldn't except before release.

Boilerpate is a DoxBOX fan, or how he was called here, who called some Obsidian developer as a faq or perv here as I remember?
But there was a hell on Youtube when he was still online.

And I don't arque that there are better examples with graphics, but does Far Cry 2 really looks 6 years old?

Multi-headed Cow

Far Cry 2's alright. I wouldn't even mind the non-realistic combat if not for the fucking respawning guard posts. The story and voice acting was kinda worthless too. I enjoyed it more than Far Cry 1 or Crysis though, which isn't saying a whole lot. Maybe I'm just an animations whore and all those healing and jammed weapon animations gave me a stiffy.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pretty bad. It's like an MMO without itemization, interesting setting, classes, or progression. So you have an FPS with generic MMO-style quests, mediocre gun play, and flawed AI. Just Cause 2 is a better option.

a budda

Arbiter
i liked it, graphics have a nice feel, story unimportant, though missions aren't bad

i'd take it over any stupid shooter of last few years

definitely something different than JC2...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Far Cry 2 is so realistic that enemies can take over 10 shots and still run around shooting. They even survive point blank head shots sometimes. :lol:

That fire propagation thing was interesting though. Made molotov cocktails much more useful.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Drab and soulless. Crysis managed to keep my interest up until the third linear section, while Far Cry 2 lost in shortly after I drove to my first mission.

I'm not young enough for this shit.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
It's certainly repetitive, but it's a heckva lot of fun, and certainly my pick for FPS of the year in 2007. If you're the kinda person that likes to strike out from Point A to Point B and get there in your own way it's a real treat. It's a game I enjoyed enough to beat, and I can't say that about many games, or really any post-HL2 scriptathon FPS.

Criticisms about the malaria, weapon wear & tear, and respawns boggle my mind and are largely trumpeted by people that aren't used to thinking or making their own decisions in first person shooters. Can't blame them much for that I guess.

Crysis is however not fun, it's Far Cry 2.0. By that I mean it's pretty, a lot more linear than it looks, and fun if repetitive and uninspired to a point, after which it becomes a noxious slog.

Far Cry 2 is pretty, mostly open, and fun if repetitive, with a few fairly interesting ideas thrown in. You could argue about the implementation of those ideas, but that's at least one more argument than you could have about Crysis.

tl;dr Recommended, I loved it, ignore the bitchers with double standards.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I COULD ONLY TAKE ONE AND A HALF PLAYTHROUGHS

IT WAS FUN FOR THAT AND THE STEALTH WAS OKAY BUT THE MISSIONS AND SETUP ENDED UP ALL GENERIC AND SHIT I MEAN DIFFERENT SETTING AND APPROACHES WERE COOL

IN OTHER WORDS I WOULD RECOMMEND IT BUT IF SOME PEOPLE PLAYED THROUGH THE HOLE GAME THREETIMES OR SO THEY WOULD SAY IT IS SHIT

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I could look past a lot of FC2's flaws if only the game didn't feel so fucking empty and lifeless. Everywhere you go, it's just mercs, mercs, and more fucking mercs; no civilians or other neutral parties. It didn't really feel like I was in a country that was experiencing a civil war.

Truman

Scholar
Big Rigs with guns. Features include hitting your vehicles with hammers to fix them, shooting at distant dot-like enemies but never hitting them, and instead of dying, getting saved by random Australian hitmen.

Truman said:
Features include hitting your vehicles with hammers to fix them

You must be thinking of TF2, in FC2 you press a button and wait until the repair is done (the animation is of the PC twisting some screws with a spanner)

, shooting at distant dot-like enemies but never hitting them,

You need to use scoped guns for sniping properly. The real problem is that it can take more than a few shots to kill a guy (iirc there was a mod for that), though it doesn't matter much once you start using decent weaponry

and instead of dying, getting saved by random Australian hitmen.

You need to have another merc on "standby", generally by being on their good side (sometimes, one will call you during a mission and ask you to do an optional objective) or by saving them during a mission. If you have no one looking for you, you die normally. Also, they're subject to permadeath, which is kinda cool.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Get a decent trainer that allows to save your location, so you can teleport back there at will. Immensely decreases the tedium (and thus improves overall fun) - I also disabled weapon degrading and malaria after a while, both mechanics just got tiresome.

Pretty fun shooter that way, and you actually spend more time doing the missions rather than driving around and killing the fucking guard posts over and over and over.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Turisas said:
Pretty fun shooter that way, and you actually spend more time doing the missions rather than driving around and killing the fucking guard posts over and over and over.

Fucking hated the never ending firefights with rival jeep hordes every 50 metres when driving, hated the neverending respawns at checkpoints, hated the repetitive nature of the game........YET strangely, after stopping playing, after a couple of hours I would get the urge to fire it up again and have another firefight with some scum. The actual battles, the curses of the mercs, setting shit on fire, the chaotic running through the bush, firing wildly...all made for really fun firefights and these alone are the reason I ended up finishing the game. The problem is that that's all there is and after the third one in a row, you just need a break, especially if in the meantime to get to a mission area for such a fight you needed to fight 3 jeep crews and 2 checkpoints.

In small doses, it's fun, extended plays are a fucking chore. If they got rid of the spawns and you could take over the whole map with your forces for example that alone would have improved it no end, never mind making better missions and more factional variety.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah the problem with the guard posts was that you couldn't just drive past them, they'd always catch up with you and shoot your car to shit no matter what (or at least, I never managed that, and I tried quite a few times).

Even that would've been fine if it weren't for the whatthefucktastic respawn timers - you turn your back for a second and there's another 10 niggers standing and waiting for you there.

The whole system could've been made far more eloquently - now it just pisses you off.

anus_pounder

Arcane
'Your' force still shoots at you anyway. The game explains this by saying that your faction employers are hiring you incognito and not telling their own soldiers in case info about your mission leaks.

Joghurt

Augur
It's just like any other game that is made by Ubisoft Montreal - great ideas, but boring and repetitive gameplay and missions.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
commie said:
In small doses, it's fun, extended plays are a fucking chore. If they got rid of the spawns and you could take over the whole map with your forces for example that alone would have improved it no end, never mind making better missions and more factional variety.

This ^

I have quited at about 2/5 of the game,I guess, thinking that I'll pick it up again, if some interesting mods show up. But, as far as I know, there is still no mod easing up on the respawn rate.
This game have had some potential, but got ruined by the checpoint respawns; linear enemies's weapons progression (at one point all the guys carring pump action shotgun are replaced with SPAS-12 ones, somewhare futher down the road AK47s disappear, and every nigger, all of the sudden, is toting some big ass belt-fed machine gun); checkpoint respawns; re-usable mission's locations (I have attacked that stone fort about five times, during different missions); checkpoint respawns; bloated HP of the enemies; checkpoint respawns; being everyone's favorite enemy; checkpoint respawns...
Did I mention the reaspawning checkpoints?
Nevertheless, I have enjoyed experimenting with different weapon's combinations. But that can get you only so far.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I don't think there are mods... at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom