Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

racofer

Thread Incliner
Meanwhile I have replayed a better game.

AJ6TEaV.gif

By the way, FC4 sucks just as bad as FC3. Terrible stuff.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
By the way, FC4 sucks just as bad as FC3. Terrible stuff.

Objectively False. While it is still semi-popamole, there is massive incline in that there are no QTE bosses, no fucking dubstep, and players can disable the majority of handholders.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Doom has none of those problems and is an overall better shooter. Fifty years later FC3 comes out and it's worse in all regards.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Doom has none of those problems and is an overall better shooter. Fifty years later FC3 comes out and it's worse in all regards.

You're being hyperbolic. Doom is a fantastic game. FC4 is a "great for what it is" game. To say it is worse in all regards is just hyperbole though.

turul

Augur
Wondering whether to pick up the PC or Ps3 version...not really in the mood to deal with shitty ports. Then again, it probafly won't take long until some kid on the internet that's somehow more skilled than Ubi's best fixes it...

I can't imagine the PC version being worse than the PS3 version in any way.
As the article said posted above your post on the previous page, the game engine has a problem, when it comes to a dedicated graphics chip+videoram. So for performance sake, you are better off with the playstation version. The PC version runs worse.
But if you have Farcry 3, I think it's pointless to have FC4

A user named cat

PC version runs fine if your hardware can handle it and you apply the xml fix. Go to "My Documents->My Games->Far Cry 4" and find "GamerProfile.xml". Set "DisableLoadingMip0" and "GPUMaxBufferedFrames" to "1". Fixes framerate dropping issues while exploring around. With that applied, I'm running it on ultra with smaa but disabled godrays and tree relief, pointless framerate killers in certain areas. There are a few graphic whore settings optimized for Nvidia cards only which is ridiculous but they make little difference. If you need more sugar coating, that's what SweetFX is for.

I just posted about this in the screenshot topic and reiterate that it's pretty damn fun especially for a modern shooter which is a rarity. I didn't play FC 3 so maybe it's too smiilar and derivative, I don't know. To be expected when you churn out a sequel in under 2 years, Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft. I know I'm late to the party even discussing it since it came out last year but whatever, just got a new gpu recently. Obviously it has its typical modern game problems but there's still plenty of things to shoot, vehicles to crash, elephants to ride, conveniently placed beehives and AI to abuse by throwing rocks, plus the scenery is nice to wonder around. This fits the bill for a mindless open shooter with stupid enemies to exploit in various enjoyable ways.

Zeriel

Arcane
That xml change simply forces the game to Low textures no matter what options are checked, that's why the game runs so much smoother.

The engine has serious texture streaming problems that have nothing to do with the power of your computer's hardware, that's why it benefits so much from lower texture settings.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
PC version runs fine if your hardware can handle it and you apply the xml fix. Go to "My Documents->My Games->Far Cry 4" and find "GamerProfile.xml". Set "DisableLoadingMip0" and "GPUMaxBufferedFrames" to "1". Fixes framerate dropping issues while exploring around. With that applied, I'm running it on ultra with smaa but disabled godrays and tree relief, pointless framerate killers in certain areas. There are a few graphic whore settings optimized for Nvidia cards only which is ridiculous but they make little difference. If you need more sugar coating, that's what SweetFX is for.

I just posted about this in the screenshot topic and reiterate that it's pretty damn fun especially for a modern shooter which is a rarity. I didn't play FC 3 so maybe it's too smiilar and derivative, I don't know. To be expected when you churn out a sequel in under 2 years, Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft. I know I'm late to the party even discussing it since it came out last year but whatever, just got a new gpu recently. Obviously it has its typical modern game problems but there's still plenty of things to shoot, vehicles to crash, elephants to ride, conveniently placed beehives and AI to abuse by throwing rocks, plus the scenery is nice to wonder around. This fits the bill for a mindless open shooter with stupid enemies to exploit in various enjoyable ways.

The setting in Far Cry 4 is interesting one, and I like the hiking around, but the story is fucking retarded and more or less recycled from Far Cry 3. The setting for Far Cry 5 depends on what exotic location the dev team wants to go for the paid research trip holiday.

The map design is hit'n'miss, conquering the outposts gets old very quickly as there's always pretty much just one or two viable approaches to them...One of the things really pissed me off in Far Cry 3 and 4 is that once you kill enemy who's in sight of the others with the silenced weapon, like sniper rifle they instantly know where you are, which pretty much kills using them as not much more than using on lone enemies.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, the game certainly has some flawed mechanics, and generally, I'd like more AI states than oblivious/alert/fully 100% aware, but in general, as sad as it may be, FC series are actually at the top of the modern shooter food chain overall. Nowhere as railroaded, nowhere as retarded story-wise (albeit still fucking retarded, esp. FC3 protagonist character arc, holyfuck), gud graffix, openworld, decent weapons, AND the unlocks don't require you to farm frags on a buddy server. Also lotsa vehicles, animals, at least 1 AI state more than most AAA FPSes, and holiday locations. Fuck it, for modern AAA, it's a good series.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Objectively False. While it is still semi-popamole, there is massive incline in that there are no QTE bosses, no fucking dubstep, and players can disable the majority of handholders.

The content available is worse than Far Cry 4 in every single way. Even taking into consideration the QTE bosses.

It's bland banal boring shit from Ubisoft. Bring your shitslurping straw.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I'm playing this. It's alright. Unlike some posters I don't pretend the FPS genre has ever attracted big brain game design, suck the maggots out of doom's asshole all you like, but at the end of the day almost every FPS is nothing more than a gussied up shooting galleries.

In that sense this is enjoyable, especially after I turned off all the training wheels for spastics shit. The ability to do that alone puts it way above FC3.

I must say, the visuals are still very impressive with great environmental effects, and it runs incredibly smoothly for me on ultra. Meanwhile I'm like less than 5% into the game and there's already a frankly pathological level of making sure the players know this is a pro-feminist game. Every other message you find in the world is about some BRAVE AND STRONG woman joining the fight.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Far Cry 3 is the one everyone still remembers, but 4 is better in every way. Finished 4 recently and there are dozens of little gameplay improvements and additions improving the sandbox experience. And yes, ability to turn off almost all HUD stuff is very nice, although the game would benefit from a FC2-style map that you could pull out without going into a menu (it definitely wasn't DESIGNED to be played this way, the game world looks very same-y and lacks landmarks etc. to find your own way by, so if you want to go HUD-less navigation can become a PITA).

I must say, the visuals are still very impressive with great environmental effects, and it runs incredibly smoothly for me on ultra. Meanwhile I'm like less than 5% into the game and there's already a frankly pathological level of making sure the players know this is a pro-feminist game. Every other message you find in the world is about some BRAVE AND STRONG woman joining the fight.

It definitely seemed that way at first but there's aspects to the narrative that start undermining this imo. They do some stuff with the rebel leaders and backstory that's actually kind of subtle (by Far Cry standards). Kyrat is a conservative country and there's essentially zero indication given ingame that any of the rebels or civilians would support the progressive ideas of the female leader you can side with. The player doesn't have to go along with the brave and strong stuff at all, and can actively work against it (lol).

Good game for what it is. Firing off an M-79 while flying around in one of those little helis is peak Far Cry.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I completely changed my mind about this and uninstalled after seeing that enemies dont react to being shot at past 25m or so, and bullets seem to completely disappear after 50m. Which would explain why the "sniper" scope is only a 2.5x magnification.

I laughed and uninstalled immediately. Whats the fucking point of big open maps if all the action takes place in 10m bubbles? Whats the point of having rifles?

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I completely changed my mind about this and uninstalled after seeing that enemies dont react to being shot at past 25m or so, and bullets seem to completely disappear after 50m. Which would explain why the "sniper" scope is only a 2.5x magnification.

I laughed and uninstalled immediately. Whats the fucking point of big open maps if all the action takes place in 10m bubbles? Whats the point of having rifles?

None of this happened in my game. Long range sniping was the most viable playstyle but (on hard) enemies would usually notice and shoot back pretty accurately from longer distances. Some kind of bug?

I strongly recommend this: FC4E Hardcore | farcrymods (wixsite.com)

There are multiple versions. Grab the "hardcore" version and you will have a pretty decent game with a lot of the popamole removed.

Looks cool, may try if I ever revisit this game. Was already happy that you could turn HUD stuff completely (in FC3 you couldn't). FC4 was also decently challenging on hard. Lots of wildlife could sneak up and fuck you up, and enemies were pretty accurate. Just wish it was possible to add a FC2 style paper map or something because navigation is impossible without a map of some sort (the Bethesda problem of missions lacking real directions).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom