Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was textbook popamole packed up the wazoo with all the console player trappings like mini-games, time trials, challenges, 'cheevo hunting, etc. Brimming with shallow content. Bro advised me to get Blood Dragon instead... he was right. Not that it's a lot better but it's shorter, more focused experience that at least has the 80's lulz going for it. Cuts out all the useless crap.

otsego

Cipher
pic1
OR
pic2

david-ousted-darryldyckcp.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It was textbook popamole

Nope.

The main mechanic of the game, for my playthrough anyway, was stalking enemies in the brush with a silenced sniper rifle and a bow and arrow. The world was totally open, and you could free camps, kill assassin targets and other such things in whatever order and however you wanted. You'd come across a camp with 8 or so guards in it, and you could kill them all before they even notice anything is happening, if you were good. And if you blew it suddenly it became a lovely open world firefight where you could hide, run or assault in any direction. Popamole means linear, Call of Duty style bullshit. Far Cry 3 was not, in any way, that. Except for some of the main story missions, which all kind of sucked, but they were a relatively small part of the game really.

Also the hunting and crafting shit was fine, as were the perk style leveling stats. It was never supposed to be an RPG, so having that shit is pure bonus depth. Don't like time trials? Don't do them! I never did. Everything in the game is optional. Do what you like, play how you want. I played the game as a stealthy hunter out to clear all the outposts and I had a fucking blast. You better come back with something better than "herp a derp popamole" if you want me to take your criticism seriously.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
'Level up' your annoying douche character, unlock awesome takedown maneuvres=gaining depth.

I guess I have now read everything on the codex...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
An open world is meaningless when everything is the same. There is no hand placed loot (special guns/whatever); in fact all the loot is just cash or proxies for cash. Arguing you can play as a stealthy hunter or Rambo is like Ken Levine saying you have 'choices and consequences' in Bioshock -- you can shock them and hit them with a wrench or shoot them in the face!!! Popamole does not necessarily mean linear, in fact the root of the term refers to a game where you can choose which mole to pop:

whack-a-mole2.jpg

You better come back with something better than "herp a derp popamole" if you want me to take your criticism seriously.

Honestly I don't care how you take my criticisms because your taste in games is so dire that your opinion is irrelevant.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The core gameplay of FarCry 3, ie the gunplay, the stealth etc. is excellent. The fact that this is wrapped in popamole, a dumb plot and shallow "RPG elements" doesn't make it a bad game. The only thing that comes close to ruining the game is the utterly atrocious interface, but even that can be tolerated.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
An open world is meaningless when everything is the same. There is no hand placed loot (special guns/whatever); in fact all the loot is just cash or proxies for cash. Arguing you can play as a stealthy hunter or Rambo is like Ken Levine saying you have 'choices and consequences' in Bioshock -- you can shock them and hit them with a wrench or shoot them in the face!!!

:retarded:

You realize this is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER right? Not an RPG? How much loot and C&C does Duke Nukem have? Crysis? FEAR?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Which only supports my argument: the open world is pointless.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
An open world is meaningless when everything is the same. There is no hand placed loot (special guns/whatever); in fact all the loot is just cash or proxies for cash. Arguing you can play as a stealthy hunter or Rambo is like Ken Levine saying you have 'choices and consequences' in Bioshock -- you can shock them and hit them with a wrench or shoot them in the face!!!

:retarded:

You realize this is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER right? Not an RPG? How much loot and C&C does Duke Nukem have? Crysis? FEAR?

Contradicting yourself much? Why did they implement these 'rpg lite' elements then in the first place? Where is this so called depth in this mechanism you speak of?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As far as gunplay and stealth being 'excellent,' it's no better than what you'd find in most AAA games like the new Fallouts or DX HR.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Contradicting yourself much? Why did they implement these 'rpg lite' elements then in the first place? Where is this so called depth in this mechanism you speak of?

Let me help your comprehension along. I said that shit is "bonus depth." What bonus means is, it didn't have to be there, it's not inherent to the genre, but it's a bit of a cherry on top so you can feel some progression element.

You seem to take the radically glass half empty viewpoint of comparing an FPS perk system to Fallout 2 and find it wanting. This game is not trying to be fucking Fallout 2. It's a shooter, an open world shooter, and the perks and crafting are added depth, not dumbed down depth. Far Cry and Far Cry 2 had none of that shit. You can't dumb down a game by adding nuggets of depth that didn't exist in the series or genre before. The focus of the game is hunting and shooting asshole pirates in a large open Caribbean world. The game does that shit extremely well.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You probably shouldn't talk down to people when you're defending shit like this and Max Payne 3 a couple threads below.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
As far as gunplay and stealth being 'excellent,' it's no better than what you'd find in most AAA games like the new Fallouts or DX HR.
Yes it is, much better than the new Fallouts and somewhat better than DX HR (another good game BTW)
And most AAA fps's do have decent gunplay, but are let down by boring, linear "cinematic" levels.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As far as gunplay and stealth being 'excellent,' it's no better than what you'd find in most AAA games like the new Fallouts

Oh man, you're taking this to retardo levels now. As much as I cream my pants for New Vegas the shooting in those games is fucking ass. Pure ass, no filter or perfume. The shooting and stealth is ten million times better in Far Cry 3. The RPG elements are much worse of course, but hey guess what: Far Cry 3 is not an RPG. Hoooooooly shit.

You probably shouldn't talk down to people when you're defending shit like this and Max Payne 3 a couple threads below.

Max Payne 3 has good shooting and beautiful graphics, but sucks as a sequel in style to the first two. Pretty sure that's the common sense viewpoint on that game.

P.S. Quit being a pussy retard who doesn't actually defend his points.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The shooting and stealth is ten million times better in Far Cry 3.
Patently false.

P.S. Quit being a pussy retard who doesn't actually defend his points.
I've actually gone into more substantive explanation into why the game sucks than you have in defending it. But... okay.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Patently false.

I've actually gone into more substantive explanation into why the game sucks than you have in defending it.

Yeah man, that substance is staggering.

Anyway, typical hipster bullshit. This is the general gaming section, not the RPG section. Every complaint so far has been bitching about what Far Cry 3 is not, rather than what it is. If you enjoy Crysis style open world shooting and stealth then Far Cry 3 is unreservedly a good game. If you don't like that kind of game then shocker, you probably won't like Far Cry 3. Who knew?

Ivan

Arcane
Far Cry 3 (w/ ziggy's mod) was excellent for me. It felt like a lite-Misery CoP playthrough, replace horror elements with zomg action elements.

Durwyn

Prophet

DemonKing

Arcane
I hope they look to the original for inspiration - I must have played through that three times. The sequels I never finished as the gameplay is just too repetitive.

No doubt Ubi is gonna Ubi though and just copy-paste the last two...

Divinity: Original Sin
Far cry 2 is terrible, repetitive and a chore to play, even though gunplay is a little fun, but missions had you go from one point of the map to the other side and lots of outposts with respawning AI that would hunt you in hell.

Far cry 3 is more streamlined, they organized outposts, that had you take them and they never respawned enemies, missions more varied and added a lot of GTA/Assassins creed-esque side quests and collectibles. But the game really had a similar gameplay to assassin's creed: Go to the tower, use eagle vision, and leap of faith, then the mapo is open and all points of interest revealed.

If it is popamole, I don't know, but there's a lot of handholding and quest compass. Health management was easier than in far cry 2.

But far cry 3 outpost taking feature was the most fun, since every outpost had different layouts and lots of options for you to take your enemies. Luring Tigers, bears and other beasts to do the jhob for you was one of the options that entertained me the most, since I waited, hoping the animal would take as many men as possible before being killed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom