Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 6 - soap opera continues, this time in Cuba

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
505cbdece8b747e54b666d49fdcc5f5c.png
So you play AS a communist then?

Unironic question.

sser

Arcane
Developer
This is the C&C:Renegade of the Jagged Alliance series, that's all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Would D1P for Giancarlo Esposito alone but... Denuvo sucks.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Unironic question.

I assume it's the other way around since it set it's clearly based on Cuba. Just look at the flag and the architecture on the cover.
Castro literaly led the guerilla fighters revolution to liberate the nation from a military dictator, not the other way around.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Unironic question.

I assume it's the other way around since it set it's clearly based on Cuba. Just look at the flag and the architecture on the cover.
Castro literally led the guerilla fighters revolution to liberate the nation from a military dictator, not the other way around.

Sure but it's clearly based on modern-day Cuba, I guess you are just a group of generic freedom fighters against the generic evil dictator like in FC4. Because Ubi doesn't want to offend anyone.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
I fucking want a FC2 remake; but as someone with roots in the area it may be a fun time killer as I eat flash-frozen food during the 8th coronavirus wave so who knows.

I mean yea the formula is down to a T and they should had fixed it by 4. I remember how in 2 you had a map, that's it. No damn towers. In 3 they were a new thing then by 4 it's a fucking chore. Never played 5 and from what I've heard I'm glad I didn't. I have primal in a library somewhere, I guess you get on top of 'landmarks' there?

But hell they need to have the war in game, and world overall, feel much more alive. Of course it can't be too alive or otherwise one side 'wins' and you can't do anything but we need to advance from 'patrols in an area bump into each other when you're around', ya know?

2 is a pile of garbage, let's admit it. The story is 'hahah everyone is evil and everyone is literally cooperating to be evil because that's what people do apparently'. If the factions were fleshed out and if you could side with one and move the story from there, it would had been great, NV that shit. NV most games.

Oh and fuck Malaria.

Also Viva la Resistenca y viva la bandera roja but OH WAIT WE'RE THE BADDIES, TOO, BECAUSE WE ALL SUCK. Can't wait to have a drug runner 'utilitarianist' on one side and a fundamentalist 'traditionalist uwu pure' on the other like in 4.

Also this is Far Cry, remember. They take it safe. They're not going to have a 'Communist' Regime or a 'Rightist' one, it's just 'The Regime' whose guiding principle is "I want it all and I will kill you with goons I pay off to kill you", nothing else. The Regime in 4 was 'nothing', it had some Asian-Leftist influence but it was a drug state. There's no government in 3 the islands are anarchic, probably under the authority of some Island Nation on paper and then forgotten about. The factions in 2 don't stand for anything either, just rehash slogans and propaganda the creators scrounged out of newspapers. You fight a mad scientist in 1. A cult in 5 that is 'Christian inspired' at best. Oh and more civilized humans in Primal? But yea this isn't a game that makes socio-political statements.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
So, its 4, but not-Cuba. Feels lame, why not something Eastern European, Middle-Eastern or South American? Actually come to think of it, doesn't this take place after the nuclear apocalypse, this might be interesting if they tie that in. Probably won't, since its Ubisoft.
The FC formula was already miked dry in FC3. While FC4 refined it a bit, it was already creatively bankrupt.
How though? I haven't played 2 yet, but 1 was a completely different game. I can definitely see that as a fair criticism of the 4 and the later ones. And from what I understand 2 constantly threw bullshit at you.

- "Spiritual" levels that literally nobody enjoys, where you trip out on drugs or contact your spirit guide or some other stupid shit.
Thanks for reminding me about that shit. Why anybody thought that was a good thing to put in, I'll never know.
If you played till the end, you would've discovered that the rebellion was the baddies, while the dictator is keeping it all from going to shit.
Not just that you have to play til the end, you have to go to an optional area to find that out.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm interested in this only because IMFDB articles on Far Cry games are hilarious.

So, its 4, but not-Cuba. Feels lame, why not something Eastern European, Middle-Eastern or South American? Actually come to think of it, doesn't this take place after the nuclear apocalypse, this might be interesting if they tie that in. Probably won't, since its Ubisoft.

Fictional post-communist island in the Americas would have a vastly more interesting arsenal that Eastern-Europe (Just Soviet shit. Yawn.) and Middle-East (Same). Due to going so long without real conflict, these nations have some crazy arms lineages. This is especially so if you want to build distinct tiers of weapon making all of them use the same ammo (something Ubisoft likes to do) while having some recognizable guns. For instance, you could have some old Kar98Ks (Nations in this area bought up a bunch of Nazi surplus and rebarreled it for 308. It’s a bolt action and thus slow to fire.), followed by M1 Garand (Common in secondary nations either as US surplus that was often converted or built post war innately in 308, it’s semi-auto only and has a tiny magazine), then FAL (sold to tons of countries, decent magazine size, full auto could be restricted to a purchased upgrade), then some modern whizbang plastic shit that all use 308 and it would be entirely plausable if you say something about arms warehouses being looted. They'd even have a clear progression of scopes (KAR98K can mount a ZF41, which has tiny magnification, M1 Garand can reversably mount a scout rail, which opens it to red dots and some modern scout scopes that are still relatively low magnification, FAL can mount modern "normal" optics no problem). Mind you,there’s no way Ubisoft would be remotely that smart.

Edit:
For handguns, throw a curveball and make the standard caliber .380 (which, again, is kinda plausible for this area and not something you can do in Eastern Europe or the Middle-East). Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless, Beretta Cheetah (Double stack for more ammo), Scorpion (It's an SMG instead of just a handgun. 380 models are post-Cold War exports and surprisingly recent).

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Primal is $6 and new Dawn is $8 after using the coupon during the Far Cry sale. Picked up Primal and it's the first time I've enjoyed a Far Cry game since 2. I'm playing in survival mode so almost zero HUD and I'm just hunting bears and shit with clubs made out of bone and spears.
IHkvF3g.jpg

We need more per-historic games like this.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
No mentions of New Dawns "RPG" elements so hopefully, no levelled weapons or enemies.
Also if this really is based on Cuba you might get to kill commies

More like you are the commies and the dictator is not-Batista. The game will be made in Canada not South Florida.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No mentions of New Dawns "RPG" elements so hopefully, no levelled weapons or enemies.

It'll probably have the standard skill tree array. I think that's pretty much a given with the nu-FarCry titles.

Obviously with FC5 and New Dawn that was replaced with building upgrades and perks, but the effect was much the same (aside from the dumb weapon level stuff).

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
The FC formula was already miked dry in FC3. While FC4 refined it a bit, it was already creatively bankrupt.
How though? I haven't played 2 yet, but 1 was a completely different game. I can definitely see that as a fair criticism of the 4 and the later ones. And from what I understand 2 constantly threw bullshit at you.

- "Spiritual" levels that literally nobody enjoys, where you trip out on drugs or contact your spirit guide or some other stupid shit.
Thanks for reminding me about that shit. Why anybody thought that was a good thing to put in, I'll never know.
If you played till the end, you would've discovered that the rebellion was the baddies, while the dictator is keeping it all from going to shit.
Not just that you have to play til the end, you have to go to an optional area to find that out.

2's bullshit, mechanically, was that as SOON as you turned your back on a checkpoint, or patrol, that you had just slaughtered, they would pop right back up. You can walk one step out of the zone, turn around, and magically the mercs and indig militias were back at it.

I remember this most gratingly in Leboa Sako, I want to say south of Pala, south of Mike's Bar, because you would transit that area a lot, so it was far more noticeable. Didn't notice this in the south as much as I had gotten my hands on a good gun by then anyway so I didn't need to diamond hunt, though I do remember sniping the hell out of Sepoko in Bowa Seko.

I would wish that the game, or future games, had some sort of counter and AI per each 'side' that, while you can't extinguish outright (most players kill around 1, 2k enemies per game, I saw somewhere, that's 'only' a few battalions), each side can have tens of thousands of men on paper I guess, they would, you know, either stop sending troops to an area they keep getting killed in or reinforce it up the yazoo, or something.

At the very least a dead outpost should be left 'dead' for a day or two until reinforcements arrive or even the enemy to claim it as theirs. Show stuff like new graves or body corpses or garbage piles as well. Organic stuff that makes sense, you know.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I would wish that the game, or future games, had some sort of counter and AI per each 'side' that, while you can't extinguish outright (most players kill around 1, 2k enemies per game, I saw somewhere, that's 'only' a few battalions), each side can have tens of thousands of men on paper I guess, they would, you know, either stop sending troops to an area they keep getting killed in or reinforce it up the yazoo, or something.

I recall that Jagged Alliance 1.13 has such a system for the queen's troop numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom