Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 6 - soap opera continues, this time in Cuba

Silverfish

Arbiter
I got a better one. It's an entire field of edgy guys like that, who enjoyed dehumanization jokes.

e5c51ffcd570b2e131d7c67b6b500a81.jpg

Why are commies the political version of the guy who peaked in high school?

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/07/12/everything-we-know-about-far-cry-6
Everything We Know About Far Cry 6

Today, we got our first look at Far Cry 6, the next entry in Ubisoft’s flagship series. This time around, you lead a guerilla revolution, fighting to free the fictional island nation of Yara from its brutal dictator. Ahead of the reveal, Ubisoft shared a presentation and let us chat with narrative director Navid Khavari. While the studio isn’t ready to talk about gameplay specifics, we were able to dive more into the setting and characters.

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_guerrilla_close-up.jpg

A Fight For Freedom
Welcome to Yara, a tropical paradise frozen in time, located in the heart of the Caribbean. The island has seen better days. As Ubisoft puts it: “Decades of economic sanctions have devastated the nation, leaving it impoverished and divided.” As its dictator’s practices get increasingly more disturbing (more on that below), you’ll get swept up in a modern-day guerilla revolution. Your journey to burn down this tyrannical regime takes you through the island’s lush jungles, dense cities, and beautiful beaches. Ubisoft is calling it “the most expansive Far Cry playground to date.”

You play Dani Rojos, who you can choose to be male or female. “In terms of Dani, what we wanted to do was explore a character that is fully voiced, fully performance captured and you can play as both male and female," Khavari says. “We also wanted a character that was born and raised on the island of Yara, is a local, and someone who didn't necessarily see themselves as part of a revolution or an uprising, but who gets swept up in the Libertad movement.”

Khavari says a small team went down to Cuba to take in everything for inspiration. “We got to meet with the locals and explore the culture and the diversity, but we also got to talk to actual guerrillas who fought in the revolution there,” he says. “There are all sorts of reasons people will join up and fight in a guerilla revolution. Some want to shoot guns and feel that adrenaline kick, while others are looking to do it for the country and for the flag. I think that dynamic was really interesting narratively, and then also from the gameplay perspective, the idea of this David versus Goliath dynamic. Also, because the island has been under a blockade for about 50 years, having to make do with what you have was really interesting. In terms of gameplay and also in terms of how you approach Far Cry 6.”

Ubisoft says to expect some unconventional weapons due to trying to make do with what’s available on the island in addition to having vehicles and animal companions.

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_car_chase.jpg

The Antagonist Is Ruthless Dictator Antón Castillo
Far Cry is known for its cunning villains. From radical cult leader Joseph Seed to maniacal king Pagan Min, the series is full of intense personalities. Antón Castillo, played by Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul), certainly fits that bill and has his own complexities. As El Presidente of Yara, he’s kept the country under his tight control, often resorting to brutal methods to achieve what he thinks is the “greater good.” He was elected to return the struggling island to its former glory and will stop at nothing to achieve his vision.

Antón believes the island was at its best 50 years ago before the first revolution. When we sat down with Khavari, he revealed that Antón’s own father was in charge of the country during that time. “The revolution actually took over and ended up executing Antón 's father right before his eyes,” he explains. “So right from the beginning, Antón has grown up with this perspective and mindset and worldview that the island was stolen from his family. And because Yara over the years experienced this economic decline, I think Antón saw that as proof that only the Castillo family can really save Yara. So when he's elected to power, he does so on the promise to rebuild paradise, to bring Yara back to the money it had 50 years ago. But what he doesn't say is that that paradise isn't for everyone, that those who dare speak out against his methods will be rounded up into essentially a forced labor state, one that is forced to work at gunpoint to see his vision of the country.”

farcry5box.jpg

Antón And His Son Diego’s Relationship Takes Center Stage
The trailer made clear that Antón’s relationship with his son would be an important aspect of Far Cry 6; he’s essentially grooming this young man to succeed him. But will Diego follow his lead? That’s for us to discover when we play. It’s also what makes Antón one of our most interesting villains to date. One minute he’s a cunning leader, the next a caring father.

“The touchstone for us was having this character who was born amidst revolution and developed a very twisted worldview after the execution of his father, but also someone who is a father himself," Khavari says. "I think there's just something interesting about what it’s like to be in the room with the dictator and see how they try to justify what they're doing and see things from their perspective. On top of that, seeing Antón as a character who not only is running a country but is also as a father, trying to pass down these lessons to his son that are twisted and basically brutal and offensive. At the same time, the layer on top of that is he loves Diego. He wants him to grow up safe and secure, and he actually believes he's doing the right thing. I think that's something that Giancarlo, who is playing Antón, really keyed in on right from the beginning.”

So where does playable protagonist Dani fit with these two characters and what types of relationships will he have with them? Ubisoft isn’t ready to talk specifics yet, but we did get Khavari to tease more about this aspect of the game. “That triangle of characters between Antón, Diego, and Dani is absolutely crucial,” he says. “What I can say is that with Diego what we found really interesting was this idea of this is a 13-year-old teenager. I think a lot of folks can remember what it was like being 13, at least I do. It’s hard enough to figure out who you are and what you're gonna do in this world and what does it all mean? But try doing that while also being the son of a dictator who is running a country. We really wanted to create a character in Diego that is riding a razor's edge – that you don't know exactly where he's going to land. Is he going to follow in his father's footsteps? Is he going to be a brutal dictator himself? Or is he going to forge his own journey, his own path? So I'm excited to see what players think of that.”

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_esperanza.jpg

The World Has More Verticality Than Past Games
For a first in the series, Yara houses a sprawling capital city, Esperanza. You can navigate the area more stealthily or go guns blazing in firefights through the streets. “Right from the beginning, we knew that we would want to do a capital city,” Khavari says. “We are going to be talking about a lot of the gameplay elements at a later date, but it definitely changes the way you play and approach things. When you have a city, there's definitely verticality involved… and you really get the sense of a revolution. Because a guerrilla revolution usually starts in the jungles and in the farmlands, but you sort of circle and approach Antón. And when you attack a city, you just feel the weight of oppression, just in the scale of the buildings, being able to navigate rooftops and alleys. It not only changes the way you play, but it changes how the narrative feels.”

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_scene_dani.jpg

“Guns For Hire” Returns
One of the most popular and successful elements from Far Cry 5 is back. This time around, it’s called Amigos For Hire, where you can pair up with A.I. companions to help you. From a jaded ex-KGB spy to an adorable wiener dog, you can call in some backup to your missions. Ubisoft wouldn’t get into specifics, except to confirm this feature is back. According to Khavari, wiener dog Chorizo is the favorite among the dev team. “I can say maybe as a little tease, he kills with kindness, so I’m excited for people to experience that.”

fc6_screenshots_1920x1080_ambush.jpg

It Already Has A Release Date
Far Cry 6 is set to release on February 18 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, and PC. Ubisoft confirmed if you purchase the game for PS4 or Xbox One, you can upgrade to a next-gen platform at no additional cost after the launch.

Looks more interesting to me than FC5 ever did.

Being inspired by Cuba? Culturally they're our neighbors, apparently, so that'll help me fit in right quick.

Not too keen on 'Animal Companions', FC has turned their protags into Pet Psychics.....

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Re: the Casting: who the fuck caresss. You know who moved to Latin America? A shitload of Italians. Bam done. Fucking 60% of Argentina or whatever is partially Italian within the last hundred and fifty years. We've had Japanese Dictators, We've had O'Higgins, we can have this guy.

Also fuck "LatinX' it's not going to catch on stop trying to making it catch on. I remember there was a time when even "Latin-" whatever was controversial.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Also fuck "LatinX' it's not going to catch on stop trying to making it catch on. I remember there was a time when even "Latin-" whatever was controversial.
This is an idiotic trend brought up by white people. Hispanics don't give a fuck if someone is "latinx," when, in fact, the language only has masculine and feminine pronouns. You're either a chico or chica. Simple as that.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is an idiotic trend brought up by white people. Hispanics don't give a fuck about someone is "latinx," when, in fact, the language only has masculine and feminine pronouns. You're either a chico or chica. Simple as that.

White sociology majors are pissed off that Latino is the default, I believe. Still stupid.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You will play as Not commies against Not Fulgencio Batista? What is next? You will have Not Fidel as a latin american Not Gendalf saving the Not commie guerrillas? Man, Ubisoft are really running out of places to do their "Made by multiethinic, multi religious, multi race team of white canadian progressives" safe spaces worlds. This is so safe that I wouldnt be surprised if Disney made a park ride about it with the name "Revolution TM", dont forget to buy your not Che Guevara shirt.:lol:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

It's hilarious that these retards are angry about what actors are playing Latino characters. What they should be angry about is Ubisoft recycling the same games over and over again.

SJWs dont play games to have fun but to find something to bitch about.

I sense that this is becoming a marketing gimmick. Don't think your game will hit the right demographics? Plug in some ready-made controversy regarding a character/story/polygon texture, let the media dumpster fire light up and wait for early release numbers to roll in. Be sure to buy some extra insurance in case ROI doesn't exceed budget expenditures.

Do this a few more times until you become in.famous enough to market your own brand and retire early to a Caribbean island where you can safely indenture the locals to your new mango farm. Weaponized cynicism has become a business strategy for the soy-silicon valley class.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I sense that this is becoming a marketing gimmick. Don't think your game will hit the right demographics? Plug in some ready-made controversy regarding a character/story/polygon texture, let the media dumpster fire light up and wait for early release numbers to roll in. Be sure to buy some extra insurance in case ROI doesn't exceed budget expenditures.

It's more a marketing gimmick for websites. Find the 5 people outraged by something, cover it as a news story for rage clicks, then others cover it like those videos above for anti-rage rage clicks, and it goes on and on and on. It's all about money and everyone's being played.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
The FC formula was already miked dry in FC3. While FC4 refined it a bit, it was already creatively bankrupt.

True that it hasn't really changed since FC3, but it's a good formula you can spin endless games out of:

- The protagonist becomes trapped somewhere, hunted by a murderous enemy force. The only way to survive/escape is to fight
- The majority of the game is free-roaming and clearing outposts while upgrading yourself and your gear
- The outpost-clearing is sometimes broken up by the plot, which takes the form of heavily scripted action sequences where you escape capture, have a gay helicopter chase, run away from explosions etc
- "Spiritual" levels that literally nobody enjoys, where you trip out on drugs or contact your spirit guide or some other stupid shit
- The game finally ends with a really dumb Epic Choice Moment to tie everything together

As long as the maps are suitably distinct from each other and the outposts are tightly designed with multiple approaches in mind, they can definitely milk it for at least one more game.

You forget about the part where the villain have you captured and brought to him just so he can bore you to death with his exegesis of Nietzsche's wikipedia page, then leaves the room and forget to lock the door.

Far Cry 5 had one of my most favorite AAA game soundtracks in recent years. Hope this one delivers on that aspect

It had its moments, indeed. I had fun driving those pickups with the big PAs in the back playing this song on and on, while shooting everything on my way in a non discriminatory way.

"Those non-believers Out by the path They're gonna burn forever They're gonna burn to ash

We won't listen to their cryin They had their chance to see the light We won't be handin out no pardons
Cuz the world is gonna end tonight"

sung by a choir, interesting.

Last edited:

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
You will play as Not commies against Not Fulgencio Batista? What is next? You will have Not Fidel as a latin american Not Gendalf saving the Not commie guerrillas? Man, Ubisoft are really running out of places to do their "Made by multiethinic, multi religious, multi race team of white canadian progressives" safe spaces worlds. This is so safe that I wouldnt be surprised if Disney made a park ride about it with the name "Revolution TM", dont forget to buy your not Che Guevara shirt.:lol:

What the fuck did you people expect...a company making a game with a real stance? And if they did go 'Viva la revoluccion fuck this immoral Capitalist American-propped Pig' it'll be twenty, thirty pages of you all bashing that, too, or did you expect this game to go 'topple a communist dictatorship, about time!!!!'

"Dictators bad but the rebels will also be bad pawns of bad people" - this will be the second time the series has done it, as we saw in 4. Didn't matter if Ajay killed every damn Drug-infused pawn of Pagan Min the Rebel leaders go on to be fuckwits because oh he can't just mow them down either. 2 just says 'war is bad and so are bloodthirsty idiotic warmongers'. 3 says 'wow being a violent prick is bad'. So on and so on. They're stances, sure, but safe, nearly apolitical stances, aesop level shit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I sense that this is becoming a marketing gimmick.

This has been a marketking ploy since companies started using social media.
While there are companies that do want to push an agenda, they are a minority. Most companies don't fucking care about any of that shit, they just do it for the money.
How and why? Simple.
Advertising has become so ubiqtous that audiences stopped paying attention to them. So advertisers had to keep pushing things further, more sex, more power, more bizzarre ads, the latest trends being the "relatable" brand on twitter. But again these things became so commonplace nobody cares anymore.
So with advent of social media the one thing that all the marketing analists found to be a gold mine, is some fresh controversy.
When you are the topic of the conversation, when people make hastags of you, and every asshole "that's somebody" is expected to give his shit take on the subject, your exposure is massive and doesn't go unnoticed. You get a coverage that you couldn't in any other way, no matter how many dollars you burned in a ad campgain, and you essentially get it for free.
And by behaving like that, people are pretty much guaranteeing that this shit will happen again, because the point of these commercials isn't the actual ad, but to get this reaction from people.

Last edited:

KVVRR

Learned
Re: the Casting: who the fuck caresss. You know who moved to Latin America? A shitload of Italians. Bam done. Fucking 60% of Argentina or whatever is partially Italian within the last hundred and fifty years.
can confirm, half of our slang are just italian words thrown randomly into spanish that morphed through the years into another word. In some cases. Some didn't change at all.
and I wouldn't have it any other way
but yeah "latinx" is pretty moronic when the whole language is based upon gender pronoums. How are you even supposed to say "che wxchx querés ir a tomar unx birritx? vamos con lxs pibxs."? It sounds like shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck did you people expect...a company making a game with a real stance? And if they did go 'Viva la revoluccion fuck this immoral Capitalist American-propped Pig' it'll be twenty, thirty pages of you all bashing that, too, or did you expect this game to go 'topple a communist dictatorship, about time!!!!'

"Dictators bad but the rebels will also be bad pawns of bad people" - this will be the second time the series has done it, as we saw in 4. Didn't matter if Ajay killed every damn Drug-infused pawn of Pagan Min the Rebel leaders go on to be fuckwits because oh he can't just mow them down either. 2 just says 'war is bad and so are bloodthirsty idiotic warmongers'. 3 says 'wow being a violent prick is bad'. So on and so on. They're stances, sure, but safe, nearly apolitical stances, aesop level shit.

The out in the open butthurt from the gaming press that Far Cry 5 wasn't an all-out assault on rednecks and Trumpers was pretty epic. That's the only thing I could imagine pushing them to be more overtly one-sided in this one.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They should go space next. I would totally play a resistance Far Cry game set on Mars with the Total Recall setting.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Primal is $6 and new Dawn is $8 after using the coupon during the Far Cry sale. Picked up Primal and it's the first time I've enjoyed a Far Cry game since 2. I'm playing in survival mode so almost zero HUD and I'm just hunting bears and shit with clubs made out of bone and spears.
IHkvF3g.jpg

We need more per-historic games like this.

Really ? is it good ?

jpg

This looks pedo as fuck. Awful image.

only if they posed without pants

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane

I dont want politics on videogames as most video game developers dont have the mental equipment necessary to be able to discuss politics without being preachy morons, I just dont see the point of this, it is like Ubisoft want the cake and eat it too, hinting political controversy and then going on lame storytelling to avoid being cancelled by the twitter morons. This has a really bad impact on the quality of the storytelling and world building for absolute no gain.

Example: Ghost Recon Wildlands was on Bolivia and had the drug cartels as the backdrop for it, there was a controversy with the bolivian goverment that didnt like it as they thought that their gang infested country was depicted as being gang infested. So, Ubisoft decided to make a sequel where you had to deal with generic silicon valley company on non descript island, it was absolutely boring of a premise that you fallen sleeping just watching the trailers. Same with the division 2, where the factions fighting for the control of Washington have generic names like Hyenas, have absolutely no identity and are just boring generic goons to be shot. At this point, they only have to gain by going fantasy and sci-fi and avoid this Not reality shit they are going with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom