Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Morgoth has Pre-ordered

Sul

Savant
69qfls.gif

wi3d3l.jpg

Well, are they close to overdoing a joke.

Started playing this earlier today a bit (did not play Far Cry 3), will post impressions later on when my opinion will form. It's endangered by being it "ruined" by the same thing that "ruined" Max Payne 3 - when it's pure mayhem, it's fun; but when it suddenly requires popamole boring cover, everything suffers. There's a Heal option, though, so Modern Warfare retardo regen is apparently out.

One thing's painfully obvious, though - the technological potential we have right now is utterly wasted on retarded IMMERSIVE shit. Those lazors and explosiuns are already so much more fun than that.

Basically, it's the Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues of shooters. Take that as you will.

escom

Learned
Good:
- it's better than fc3
- nice graphics
- good sci-fi atmosphere
- good music
- good jokes
- nice, funny reloading, other animations

Bad:
- it has nothing to do with FC3 or the FC series at all but whatever
- it would have worked better as a linear shooter
- forced sneaking missions
- painful, boring cutscenes

Ugly:
- it feels like an extended april fools joke

It will worth the buy.

Played it a bit more. Some quick thoughts:

The joke actually doesn't get overboard enough to compromise everything, since the sandbox gameplay of Far Cry 3 turns the attention from campy cliches and cheesy puns of Rex Power Colt. For a game taking such great pains in distancing itself from the down-to-earth modern shooter aesthetic, the gameplay is perhaps too modest and conservative for its own good. The game's most entertaining moments happen not when it's about accurate shooting from behind the cover, but when you blow stuff up for the lulz with miniguns or lure dinosaurs shooting lazors from their eyes on rampage into enemy encampment. The fact that there isn't a sticky cover or health regen is quite limited helps little in that way. While I appreciate the effort Blood Dragon does to differentiate itself from the standard popamole sirius business, it should allow itself to have more fun. The base material of Far Cry 3 is a burden for it - its aforementioned modern principles of gameplay contradict the schtick Blood Dragon is going for. Also, I understand it a sort-of-DLC, but it could use more variety and size - four weapons and knifing dummies from behind get old rather fast, and the environment is too cramped for the game to take advantage of vehicles.

Overall I like what they're doing and it's a little incline from popamole like Call of Duty, if only in terms of atmosphere and not exactly gameplay.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I've played it since this morning. It's okay. Nothing amazing, but okay. The illusion is broken a bit when you realise it's little more than a reskinned FC3.

Just as easy as FC3 too. You're likely to steamroll through it on Hard if you're even just a little good at FPS games.

Zeriel

Arcane
I think it's best when you're steamrollering through. You can almost forget it's FC3 when you just leap through the air over a 200-foot-tall cliff while sprinting at the speed of sound and chain together 6 vertical takedowns that segue into shotgun mayhem. The moment you start inching through cover and playing the herpdong slowly disable camp game, it gets really boring again.

AngryDude

Novice
Reveal trailer :salute:

'The apocalypse had an apocalypse' :lol: itz like that thing Cleve was talking about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If it's really done they should really release it today. Making me wait 3 weeks makes it super likely my appreciation for the art style and shit will wear off and I won't even buy it.

Strike while the iron is hot, Ubisoft.

I like these fucking colors. Probably the first game I played where lens flare effects don't seem out of place.

AngryDude

Novice
I've read a preview and it's 8 hours long. I guess it's ok for a 15$ game.

I DO hope it's more linear than FC3 because all the open world buzz was not that fun for me, anyone who played can confirm/deny?

Zeriel

Arcane
It's about the size of the smaller island in FC3, if you've played it. The dichotomy between open world/scripted missions is about the same. Once you get out of the tutorial, you have a line of story missions, but you can just choose to immediately go wandering off and clean out garrisons or slay a dozen blood dragons. The side quests are a little more fun to do than in FC3 because they're kind of hilarious at times and aren't afraid to be just utterly trivial if it'll be entertaining. For example: there's one to clean out a sewer of a captured garrison. Your enemy? Normal turtles that don't fight back and just want to be left alone and are super easy to kill, while the place is littered with open pizza boxes.

Really comes down to the humor: do the trailers look hilarious to you? If yes, play it. If no, don't, it's just a reskinned FC3 with better style.

AngryDude

Novice
Bulletstorm was shit actualy, it was supposed to be a parody of modern FPSes but it ended up like all of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom