Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Farthest Frontier - town builder from Grim Dawn dev

Acrux

Arcane
So I refunded this after roughly 2 hours, because they don't officially support Windows 7.
No developer is going to officially support Windows 7, since Microsoft support for it ended two years ago.

Acrux

Arcane
So I refunded this after roughly 2 hours, because they don't officially support Windows 7.
No developer is going to officially support Windows 7, since Microsoft support for it ended two years ago.
Well this is wrong. Since maybe devs do in fact do that.
Who does? And why would they - especially because the most recent Steam survey says that Win7 usage is around 2% of the user base? Why would they put resources into supporting that?

Codex Year of the Donut
if you're still using win7 just learn to use an easier lunix distro already, proton just works out of the box and probably supports more games than win7 now

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Well this is wrong. Since maybe devs do in fact do that.
Who does? And why would they - especially because the most recent Steam survey says that Win7 usage is around 2% of the user base? Why would they put resources into supporting that?
Significantly more than Mac and Linux users and with very minor differences from Windows 10. Like this specific game actually works essentially fine. You're basically worrying about a couple lines in pre-processing.

windows 7 is older now than windows 98 was when windows 7 released.
And still better than Windows 10/11.
I hate each new version of windows too...but its inevitable, best way I have coped is to use stardock start 11 which allows you to make windows 11 work like any old version of windows, including the taskbars, start menus, how it looks everything..maybe you already know this..there used to be a free version released by somebody else, but it is not actively supported since windows 11 came out anymore although I think somebody is working on it, but stardocks version is like 7 dollars or something, to me it is worth it since the main issue to me is that the interface works too much like a phone etc..I make it work like a combination of Windows XP and Windows 7 basically..with some new things thrown in here and there..you can pick and choose so that iof you like some modern things you can keep, or make it work all like windows 7..whatever..anyway, works for me..

but maybe there are more technical reasons you want windows 7, which I don't think it helps with..

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
windows 7 is older now than windows 98 was when windows 7 released.
And still better than Windows 10/11.
I hate each new version of windows too...but its inevitable, best way I have coped is to use stardock start 11 which allows you to make windows 11 work like any old version of windows, including the taskbars, start menus, how it looks everything..maybe you already know this..there used to be a free version released by somebody else, but it is not actively supported since windows 11 came out anymore although I think somebody is working on it, but stardocks version is like 7 dollars or something, to me it is worth it since the main issue to me is that the interface works too much like a phone etc..I make it work like a combination of Windows XP and Windows 7 basically..with some new things thrown in here and there..you can pick and choose so that iof you like some modern things you can keep, or make it work all like windows 7..whatever..anyway, works for me..

but maybe there are more technical reasons you want windows 7, which I don't think it helps with..
The interface changes really annoy me but the real issue is the spyware/tracking stuff.

Thorgeim

Educated
Instead of complaining about Windows version, I played the game for a bit and this might actually be a really good colony sim. I like it more than Banished so far, more complex overall with added features/stuff to do or build and some combat. Considering its Unity, it looks pretty nice. One thing I havent figured out yet is how to limit production to certain number, not sure if its even possible, only way I found was to halt production manually. (eg. when I want to save a bit of wood instead of continously producing planks and firewood)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I played a bit, and its one of those games where I keep restarting due to minor failures of optimization early on.
Also the crop rotation thing with fertility, sandy vs clay soils, temperature tolerances, etc, seems like senseless autism that won't add anything to the game once you set it up and forget it.

For anyone who has played past the initial phases, did you plan where your houses are at first, where to fit decorations, plazas, schools, etc, or did you just build everything on a grid and later delete houses to place support buildings? Also do you have the industry in a separate place, so everyone has to walk long distance all the time, or take the hit in noise/smell pollution and place it all around the city center?

imajia

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
For anyone who has played past the initial phases, did you plan where your houses are at first, where to fit decorations, plazas, schools, etc, or did you just build everything on a grid and later delete houses to place support buildings? Also do you have the industry in a separate place, so everyone has to walk long distance all the time, or take the hit in noise/smell pollution and place it all around the city center?
Distance doesn't matter that much, so there is no need to lump everything together. A simple layout for the residential area is the market place in the middle surrounded by 2 rings of 4x9 blocks (inner size, space for 6 houses). That'll do for the first 20-30 years.

I like the crop rotation, soil fertility and the struggle for food. The last city builder I liked was Children of the Nile, so it was about time for a propper replacement.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Crate Entertainment owner and lead designer Arthur Bruno has elaborated further on the lack of churches or religion in Farthest Frontier.
Finally, Bruno suggested players might someday be able to design their own religion in the game, perhaps one based on something from Crate Entertainment's other game, fantasy RPG Grim Dawn.

"It could be interesting and allow for more creative design, to explore a system where players got to choose deities who could confer different favors upon your town. Or who knows, maybe when the friendly traveling merchant, Scorv Egdenor the Butcher was in town, he's been secretly whispering to those willing to listen, of the glorious return of RAVAGER!"

Finally, a potential tie-in.

thesecret1

Arcane
Not bad, feels like an expanded Banished. The field mechanics are curiously complex, compared to everything else, but overall enjoyable. It's sparse on content right now and has some clearly unbalanced shit in regards to map generation and general progression, but that's to be expected of something entering early access. Will play after it releases for sure.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I played this a ltitle bit over the weekend. The game feels like it's got potential but just needs some more overall polish as well and some intermediary tasks for the players to do that don't feel like tedious micromanaging.
I think my biggest gripe with the game was how you'd often see your villagers sit around and either do nothing or make questionable decisions when carrying resources between two locations. You can make them move around by clicking on the villagers, but I wish there were more ways to assign them very specific tasks. On the other side of the spectrum having workers sit idle in their workplaces feels like pointless busywork to keep you scrolling through every facility to ensure the workers didn't run out of tasks to do.
Presently there's a decent bit of standard resources that you can harvest and process, but it makes the late-early / early-mid part of the game feel weird because you cannot process a lot of the items until your town reaches level 3, which means you'll sit on a lot of resources that you can only dump on the market once per year provided any of the travelling merchants actually want those items.
I actually do like the trading system and it felt like a nice touch that I had to actually buy the sawblades for a mill from one of the travelling merchants. At the same time, however, I wish there was something for you to spend all the coal, iron, gold etc. you can dig up a bit earlier. It's possible that I might've missed something, but these were the things that stuck out to me the most during the handful of hours I played the game.

I'd like to start over on a different map to see what I could do differently now that I'm more familiar with the way the game works, but I think it's better to wait for the game's full release

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Maybe because I have pretty low expectations for modern games, but this game is not bad despite the shitty engine and poor optimization. Made it to around 400 pops and over 50 years for the village. It managed to bring back memories of settlers and knights and merchants, so if you like games like that, then this one is worth a try. The micro is not too terrible even when you have large population. I found that the worst bottle neck when it comes to resources were pelts, so you always lack shoes and simple clothing and end up buying pelts from the traders. It's because there are only two ways to get pelts atm from the hunters or from the cows. It works in early game, but in the late game the production is not enough even with seven hunter shacks and three barns with 30 cows. The better, more expensive clothing is made from flax and there is never shortage of it. Didn't find the crop mechanic too complex. It's like a shitty rpg with one OP build. Right now you would get the best yeld from crops by building three 5x5 fields and rotating crops on them - clover and beans for the first year, clover, maintanance, turnips for the second and wheat, clover for the third year. Then you just alternate this every year on your three fields and you will end up with 90%+ fertility on your fields after some time while still having enough of food. Then you build more sets of three fields, but replace wheat with flax or rye. Also don't really understand why they didn't use Grim Dawn universe for this game... :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also don't really understand why they didn't use Grim Dawn universe for this game... :M
Maybe because the GD universe is fucked beyond repair. The only agricultural fields we see in the game are overrun by aetherials.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also don't really understand why they didn't use Grim Dawn universe for this game... :M
Maybe because the GD universe is fucked beyond repair. The only agricultural fields we see in the game are overrun by aetherials.
Rebuild the world after the invasion?
It being fucked beyond repair would suggest there is nothing after the invasion ;d I know our character kills a bunch of dudes, but my impression of that is that it's borderline meaningless, more and more threats are going to show up until the defenders fall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom