Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Favorite cRPG cover art/boxart/promo art

Strig

Learned
The conspicuous absence of Albion in this thread had to be rectified. I'm pretty sure Ambermoon was already posted but the context demands a repeat.

albion.jpg

1T2hYrM.png

lE3VaHk.png

Sabox.jpg

For me this is one of the cheesiest box art's ever, its still great though.
A half-naked (savage) woman A pair of big boobs + a man with a gun* + ... dinosaurs? Poorly drawn at that. And some ruins.
Nothing cheesy about it.

*Not your typical model of Badass Gun(tm).

Still great though. Good times when boobs were bigger and half naked. Also the covers were cheesy(ier) but at the same time often very stylish. <nostalgia>

It's pure pulp and I love it.

8d4eca1c8fe13728a01a637d268a86667417a338.png

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The Amber covers aren’t showing. A lot of these covers look pretty clean which is great. Fucking price stickers Bork up the art. Hats off to original art sources as well.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
How about if we look at "box art" of the last 5 years (2018-2023)?

Here's my favorite of that period.
download-atom-rpg-offer-1kfyi.jpg

Hard West would win my 2010-2017 category.
Hard_West_Cover.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The Amber covers aren’t showing. A lot of these covers look pretty clean which is great. Fucking price stickers Bork up the art. Hats off to original art sources as well.
And now? I edited the post and uploaded them to Imgur this time.
AWESOME! They’re pretty glorious covers.

Siradne loves to be a cheeky bitch. I use that name for fem mages if I want a chick mage instead of a sausage fest.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
SSI had an immense advantage in being able to re-purpose existing TSR D&D/AD&D artwork as box covers for their games:
SSI also re-used existing TSR artwork for about 15 other games, most of them non-RPGs.
add15.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover illustration for AD&D Gamebook #15 The Vanishing City was repurposed for the cover of Hillsfar (1989), a game intended for use with the quartet of RPGs that began with Pool of Radiance

16917.jpg

Jeff Easley's cover for DL11 Dragons of Glory, an optional wargame supplement for the 12 Dragonlance adventure modules, was re-used for the wargame War of the Lance

31137464589.jpg

Jeff Easley's dragon duel illustration for the 1988 Dragonlance calendar became the cover for SSI's Heroes of the Lance, the first of three non-RPG Dragonlance games

16883.jpg

Jeff Easley's cover for DL2 Dragons of Flame was used for the cover of the second non-RPG Dragonlance game, also called Dragons of Flame

16890.jpg

Larry Elmore's cover art for DL5 Dragons of Mystery, a lore book for the Dragonlance series, was re-purposed for Shadow Sorcerer, the third of this trilogy of games

16882.jpg

Keith Parkinson's cover illustration for DL3 Dragons of Hope became the cover of 3D dragon combat simulator DragonStrike

spellfire.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover for the novel Spellfire was used for the Gold Box spinoff Turbografx-16 game Order of the Griffon

17019.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover for REF3 The Book of Lairs had originally been a Dragon Magazine cover and was re-purposed for the Sega Genesis RPG Warriors of the Eternal Sun

16871.jpg

Jeff Easley's cover art for the Al-Qadim campaign setting box set became the cover of computer RPG Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse

darkelf1.jpg

Jeff Easley's cover art for the novel Homeland, set in Menzoberranzan, appropriately was re-used for the cover of computer RPG Menzoberranzan

rv-ra3.jpg

Clyde Caldwell's cover for adventure module RA3 Touch of Death was re-purposed for computer RPG Ravenloft: Stone Prophet

prism1.jpg

Gerald Brom's cover art for the novel The Verdant Passage became the cover of online RPG Dark Sun: Crimson Sands

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
How about if we look at "box art" of the last 5 years (2018-2023)?

Here's my favorite of that period.
download-atom-rpg-offer-1kfyi.jpg

Hard West would win my 2010-2017 category.
Hard_West_Cover.jpg
I guess these and many games in this period had physical releases. Any that are all digital don’t count imho.
I used scare quotes for a reason.
Most games nowadays have digital art that imitates box cover for use on likes of Steam or GOG Galaxy.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmmm….. we could probably gauge best art by year. I hope Big Box finds the best art versions. There are a few sites that try to created the best from what has been submitted.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
4276185-ishar-2-messengers-of-doom-dos-front-cover.jpg

The contrast between the serene and hopeful art and the game subtitle "Messengers of Doom" always appealed to me

really like this for an RPG

ind33d

Educated
really emblematic of the direction society took that these box arts used to say "Strategic Simulations" instead of "Gay Bear Sex"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom