Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite magic system

Favorite magic system

• Total voters

laclongquan

Arcane
In the face of what?

Legion of DnD dorks around here? Who will vote Vancian, toeing the party line?

Because depending on how you set up a world, mana pool can be very fun indeed. Ditto with Skill Limited.

Cooldowns got ruined by MMO games. Cooldowns at the end of day is just sorcerer system speed up ten thousand times.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I don't mind a mana pool - the first RPGs I played (Ultima 3-5) all used a mana pool. Didn't even know about vancian spell casting until I started playing GoldBox games in the late 80's.

Also where is PoE2 retarded per-encounter + Awesome Recharge Button spell system in this poll?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It's not the system, it's how it's mastered, or not.

This poll is dumb as fuck, as usual.

What would have been interesting is talking about exotic and innovative magic systems like in Arx Fatalis or the spells crafting / enhancements in Tyranny.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Then make your own poll. This is asking what people's favorite system is. Not which one is the best.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages, but I typically find mana pool systems the most enjoyable. Vancian casting is often tedious due to trash mobs and rest spamming

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Technically that would be considered Vancian Magic.
No it wouldn't be.
In typical Vancian systems (namely the very popular DnD-based games) you are only limited by the spells you have chosen to cast between "rests" but there is no other cost involved. In reagent-based systems the limitation goes beyond what you choose to memorize between rests but is otherwise an unlimited resources. You are also limited by how many and which reagents you can muster which might lead to somewhat more strategic resource management that goes beyond "until next rest/campfire".
Also what V_K said.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Mana pool is good. Which reminds me of a "blobber" I wanted to make once:

- All party members would share the same mana pool. Everyone can cast spells as long as it contains mana.
- All party members would share the same health pool. If health pool empties all party members die at once.

That idea came from the multi-headed Hydra monster, which blobbers are sometimes seen as. I still like the idea tbh.

Abhay

Augur
Similar to Arx Fatalis, esp the latest change with the snapshot builds in recent months

Lhynn

Arcane
Unlimited magic is best system. The one you have to be the most creative about too.

Longer cast times, esoteric costs or health risk and other forms of sacrifice, player skill based casting, etc.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
My favourite always was the Dark Eye system (a cut version was used in Realms of Arkania and Drakensang), but more because of spell variety, not the very slowly regenerating Mana Pool.

In video games, that and Vancian are boring, because you don't use magic or have to rest all the time.

So - cooldowns or a fast regenerating pool.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I am ok with anything as long as i am allowed to wear silly hats and all them fancy dresses.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just thinking about all those old burly wizards casting spells.

sweatonmybrow.png

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I like a non regenerating mana system the most. You can cast any spell you know, but can only cast a certain amount of spells per day and the only way to restore the mana pool is to rest or use a (preferably rare) consumable.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like a non regenerating mana system the most. You can cast any spell you know, but can only cast a certain amount of spells per day and the only way to restore the mana pool is to rest or use a (preferably rare) consumable.

A hybrid approach of this works best, with consumables for the ultimate spells.

Rarity of spells makes them more "valuable" in the context of the gaming experience and creates a more immersive feel imo.

Sykar

Arcane
I always liked Shadowrun table top system where you roll against the drain of the spell effect. Especially powerful spells or variants can lead to not just extreme mental exhaustion but even hemorrhaging and death.

After that, the very flexible Mage: The Ascension magic system appealed to me but never found a group to play it with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom