Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Favorite Souls boss

Servo

Arcane
I was talking to a buddy of mine about DS2. He was saying he hated the Ruin Sentinel fight, which surprised me because I found it to be one of the better bosses in the game (so far, that is). I also loved the Skeleton Lords fight.

From DS1, I found Ornstein and Smough a lot of fun and memorable. Other than that, the only bosses that stand out to me are the really annoying ones that required a trick to beat. Fuck those guys.

But I think my all-time favorite Souls boss has to be Maneater. In case you can't tell I really like fights that involve more than one boss at a time :)

What about you?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The most memorable for me has to be Ornstein and Smough - not even for the bossfight itself, although it's really great, but to me, it really represented the pinnacle of the "magic" of Dark Souls 1, the high point of a deeply engrossing game. I was shit back then, spent upwards of 3 hours on the fuckers, and felt so good after finally winning.

The one I think is best in hindsight, would probably be Manus, although the competition is very tough. Manus is just great in every respect, a fast and aggressive boss that wasn't a humanoid dude in armor, with many different attacks at all ranges, lethal spells requiring very different reactions, and he looked really cool as well. Only thing that could've been better was his theme.

Honourable mentions include: Flamelurker, Kalameet, Velstadt and Fume Knight.

Servo

Arcane
I'm not sure about Four Kings. I probably would have liked it more, but I played DS1 as a caster and that fight in particular was practically impossible for me. Mages are just too weak in that game unless you include spells from the DLC. (Granted, magic makes certain fights easier than they would be otherwise. But not that one.)

Astraea, holy shit... I had forgotten about her. Her story was really fascinating. I actually felt bad killing her.

Capra Demon weeds out the week.

Nah j/k that fight pissed me off. Not a highlight by any means.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I killed Capra Demon without even activating the fog gate, just stood outside it and threw fire bombs at a specific place that caused them to fly over the wall and kill him.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Priscilla.
Never felt worse about killing a boss in a game. Killing Síf after rescuing him in the Abyss is a close second.

Murk

Arcane
Never played Demon's Souls (my god, what a horrid name that is to say out loud) so my comment is restricted to Dark Souls 1 and 2 and their corresponding DLC, I'm also going to ignore the dungeon/area associated with the boss as well as any warm-up/preparation you do like releasing NPCs or opening sections of an area, etc.

I'd say that for DS 1 it would be Manus and for DS 2 it would be Gank Squad. I know, I'm a heretic. These are the ones I had the most fun/involvement in. Kalameet is a runner up for DS 1 and The Rotten is a runner up for DS 2.

I would say Manus wins over Gank Squad but this is because I fought Manus first when I was a souls Virgin and so my emotional hymen may be a confounding variable. I will say that I've fought Gank Squad way more than Manus tho, and will continue to fight Gank Squad for fun.

Borelli

Arcane
Gargoyles. The first truly difficult boss fight that really introduces to you the true DS experience. In DLC it's Artorias, obviously.
In 2 i like the skeleton chariot for the coolness and pursuer knight for raw difficulty when you first meet him.

edit: jrpg :rpgcodex:

I suck at this game and beat Capra on the first try...:M

(then keept getting killed by gaping dragon, which supposedly is one of the easiest)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I rate souls boss fights on both whether I liked their moves and if it was hard and felt rewarding to beat. I killed Artorias in half a minute, so it wasn't really a memorable fight.

Old King Allant definitely. Brutal reach fast moves, unpredictable. They tried to somewhat copy him in DS2 but Vendrick was a puppy in front of him.

Sanctuary Guardian(s). Nice array of moves. Good luck with the two of them.

Ornstein/Smough. Nice duo. I fucking hate them. (love)

Sir Alonne. The most difficult fight I had with my fully leveled character. Fast, tough, big array of moves.

Kalameet... almost. Getting that tail was too much of a pain.

Gimmicky, show-off fights are also good.

-Tower Knight and Storm King.
-Nito, Sif.
-Executioners Chariot, Aava, the King's Pet, Skeleton Lords.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ornstein and Smough for me, but the original Bell Tower Gargoyle's (DS1) was a close second. One battle with them in particular burned itself into my memory. I was attempting to cut the tail off of the first Gargoyle and I was using a weak weapon. I got the first Gargoyle's health down past half and the second Gargoyle joined the fray. Before long I had used most of my Estus. I was circling around to fight one at a time. The Gargoyle in front unleashed its flame breath, which I backed away from. All of a sudden I saw the second Gargoyle soar into the air from behind the first Gargoyle, jump over the first Gargoyle and slam its halberd down onto my character. Just got my shield up in time. It was fucking awesome! Only time I saw that happen.

dr. one

Augur
Probably Fume Knight - two phases with distinct and varied movesets, reaction to a certain armor based on lore, possibility to make the fight easier via exploration, generally a pretty difficult encounter no matter the approach (co-op included), I also really enjoy the pace of the battle.

Besides that my top 10 would include (in no particular order) Manus, Kalameet, Artorias and Ornstein + Smough from DS1 and Sinh, Sir Alonne, Burnt Ivory King, Darklurker and Executioner´s Chariot from DS2. Honorable mentions going to Sif, 4 Kings, Quelaag, Bell Gargoyles, Velstadt, Pursuer, Demon of Song, Aava, Smelter Demon and Ruin Sentinels.
Had a bit of a hard time cutting the amount of mentioned bosses due to varied set of factors contributing to the decision, like mechanics, art design, lore/ build-up etc., particularly in the case of DS2 where I enjoy almost all boss encounters to a good extent, except for Ancient Dragon, Giant Lord and maybe Covetous Demon.
Haven´t played Demon´s Souls.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
ghostdog how is Vendrick supposed to be a copy of False King? They're not similar at all. Burnt Ivory King is obviously a homage to False King, and in my opinion superior in most respects, except for buildup and maybe presentation (though BIK has a pretty cool entrance too). Then again, I was never impressed by False King, always seemed easy and health-bloated to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom