Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite Arcade Games?

sys0nar

Educated
Fighters, puzzle, shoot em ups, beat em ups or platformers, what are your favorite arcade games?

Falksi

Arcane
Just got myself an arcade stick, and replaying through them.

So far I'd say that Golden Axe reigns supreme, even though I prefer the Megadrive version.

In fact, on the whole, I'd say the home conversions from all the games I've replayed so far give a better overall experience.

Looking forward to playing Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara over the next few months, and returning to King of Dragons soon too.

I really like how this post has created a set of "step-sentences", where the next sentence is slightly longer than the one above, to give the appearance of a set of steps.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Fighters, puzzle, shoot em ups, beat em ups or platformers, what are your favorite arcade games?
What about arcade racers? Sega Rally, Daytona, Out Run, Ridge Racer, F-Zero... those are my jam.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
KoF, SF, Jojo's, Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, SamSho, Pang!, Snow Bros, Top Hunter, D&D, Windjammers, Super Dodge Ball. And from modern arcades, Sangokushi Taisen and Lord of Vermillion.

Cerulean

Cipher
Two games I played obsessively when I was a kid. I lost more quarters to these games than I could count.

Tempest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(video_game)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(video_game)
A game full of completely abstract art, all vector-based. You're at the top of a glowing tube, things crawl up the tube to try and kill you, and once you're killed them all, you race off to the next tube (using a cool 3D "flying through space" effect). This might be one of the first games where the "next level" had a new layout vs. the same layout with more difficultly. When you got to a high enough level, the level colors weren't blue anymore! You got reds, greens, yellows, even invisible etc. Quick trippy for my teenage self at the time.

There was no joystick, instead there was just a big left-right dial. I loved this game since when you spun the dial really fast, it made this awesome gggrrriiinnnddd sound. If I ever run across the right cabinet on E-Bay one day, I might go for a renovation project.

6IdsdT7.jpg

WIZARD OF WOR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_of_Wor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_of_Wor
A fun two player co-op game where you went through this small maze killing monsters. Some would just lumber around (easy), some would actually shoot back at you, some would phase in and out of existence so you had to get the timing right when you shot them. Plus the first "boss fight" I ever remembered: The screen would turn pink and static-y, and there would be one insanely fast moving monster out in the middle of an open arena. Scared the Hell out of me at the time.

You could play solo, sure, but two players got a lot further (plus if you died you could put in another quarter to keep going), so I'd just play with whoever else was in line for the machine. It was a great way to make friends IRL back in the day.

zCUgzi0.jpg

There are tons more: Pac Man, Battlezone, Tron, Dig Dug, Centipede, Satan's Hollow, Donkey Kong, etc., but these two really stood out for me.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Metal Slug and especially Neo Turf Masters were my favourites as a kid.

I also have very fond memories of playing 4P Warzaid/World Combat with my buddies as a teenager
mall_culture_jakarta2y5jm3.jpg

newtmonkey

Arcane
Ms. Pacman - It's just amazing. There's so much room to improve your game, definitely the one arcade game I'd want as my desert island choice.
Donkey Kong - Extremely simple, but a ton of fun. It can get difficult, but it never felt to me like you were developing strategies (like in Ms. Pacman), but instead were just developing muscle memory.
Splatterhouse
- I love gory horror movies, and this game was clearly made by like-minded fellows. It's not a deep game, but it feels so good to master it. The soundtrack is unbelievable, you can tell the guys that made this were true horror fans.

AndyS

Augur
Donkey Kong
Burger Time
Star Wars
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Robotron 2084
Defender
Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters
Joust
Berzerk
Juno First
Sinistar
Asteroids

I mostly gravitate toward single-screen games with quick, punchy gameplay, a lot of ones from around 1980 to 85 or so, although I like games from all eras.

Black Tiger/Black Dragon
Gladiator (Ohgon no Siro)
Street Fighter 2: CE
Strikers 1945 II
Mahou Daisakusen
D&D: Shadow over Mystara
Ghouls and Ghosts
Denjin Makai 2
Samurai Spirits II

sys0nar

Educated
How about you sys0nar ? Do you have any favorites?

Thank you for asking, these are my favourites, although I am still discovering new games, this is pretty much all I play, I'd rather stick with and get real good at the best game in a series, than play them all.

Fighters:

Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Samurai Shodown 2 (aka Samurai Spirits 2)
The King of Fighters '98
Whatever the latest Street Fighter is

Beat 'em Ups:

Golden Axe 1 & 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

Run'n'Gun:

Metal Slug 3

Plat-formers:

Ganryu
Magician Lord
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
VS. Super Mario Bros

Light Gun:

Duck Hunt
The House of the Dead 1 & 2
Time Crisis 2 & 3

Racing:
F-Zero AX
Daytona USA

Puzzle:

Tetris (duh)

No idea what genre this is but it awesome:
Crossed Swords
Typing of the Dead

As for Pinball, I don't care as long as it's fun, however my dream machine is Medieval Madness, which is not only one of the most praised machines, but also being a CRPG fan, the theme is amazing, I mean c'mon it has a castle + drawbridge.
74615f43075aa50bf54a26c67c28e644e4f21d1c.jpg

Last edited:

User was nabbed fit

How about that motherfucking Time Crisis.

Man, I wish they still made light gun games... Unfortunately, they're simply incompatible with modern TVs from what I understand. Still, I'm sure they could fashion together some piece of tech to make it work. Maybe some sensor bars to stick to the top, bottom and sides of a TV or something. I guess investors must see it as a risk in that they think the market is too small compared to the upfront costs of developing, publishing, distributing and selling a 'new' concept to today's normies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom