Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favourite Arcade Games?

sys0nar

Educated
How about that motherfucking Time Crisis.

Man, I wish they still made light gun games... Unfortunately, they're simply incompatible with modern TVs from what I understand. Still, I'm sure they could fashion together some piece of tech to make it work. Maybe some sensor bars to stick to the top, bottom and sides of a TV or something. I guess investors must see it as a risk in that they think the market is too small compared to the upfront costs of developing, publishing, distributing and selling a 'new' concept to today's normies.

There was recently a major advancement in the retro gaming community, some dudes figured out a device to use light guns on flat-screens, however it is still being developed, the best way to play light guns is the arcade machines (time crisis machines are actually quite cheap), you can also import a Japanese Sega Saturn with the lightgun and game, and get a CRT at second hand stores/ garage sales for fairly cheap.

However for me, light gun games aren't something I think I would play all the time if I had a machine or console + crt at my house, I'm happy just playing them at barcades and cinemas, don't find them nearly as addicting as say a platformer or fighter.

Last edited:

User was nabbed fit

Man, I wish they still made light gun games... Unfortunately, they're simply incompatible with modern TVs from what I understand. Still, I'm sure they could fashion together some piece of tech to make it work. Maybe some sensor bars to stick to the top, bottom and sides of a TV or something. I guess investors must see it as a risk in that they think the market is too small compared to the upfront costs of developing, publishing, distributing and selling a 'new' concept to today's normies.

There was recently a major advancement in the retro gaming community, some dudes figured out a device to use light guns on flat-screens, however it is still being developed, the best way to play light guns is the arcade machines (time crisis machines are actually quite cheap), you can also import a Japanese Sega Saturn with the lightgun and game, and get a CRT at second hand stores/ garage sales for fairly cheap.

However for me, light gun games aren't something I think I would play all the time if I had a machine at my house, I'm happy just playing them at barcades and cinemas, don't find them nearly as addicting as say a platformer or fighter.

Interesting. Agree their major appeal is in playing them at a bar or something. That being said, it would be pretty chill to play from the comfort of your couch with another player or two sometimes.

sys0nar

Educated

However for me, light gun games aren't something I think I would play all the time if I had a machine at my house, I'm happy just playing them at barcades and cinemas, don't find them nearly as addicting as say a platformer or fighter.

Interesting. Agree their major appeal is in playing them at a bar or something. That being said, it would be pretty chill to play from the comfort of your couch with another player or two sometimes.

Yeah, I understand the appeal, all I'm saying is for me light gun games are the type game I play when I'm dicking around with friends in public, as for fighters, beat 'em ups and platformers I'd play for ages at home if I had a classic setup with tube tvs, joysticks and original hardwhere, I personally plan to track down PCBs for the games I care the most about to play at home (PCB is the arcades board, not as big as many think, slightly bigger than a vinyl record, can be plugged into a converter and played on TVs like you would a console). PCBs are quite cheap as they cost way less due to the hardcore collectors wanting the original arcade shell (which is way harder to find), and the reduced shipping (most games are $100-200, I don't mind paying that for some of my favourite games I'd easily get hundreds or even thousands of hours out).
DZSX-aTVoAENdte

Also any game made from 1993-2000 which is most of the games I play, has probably got a replica (just as powerful) console port on the Neo-Geo AES, Sega Saturn or Dreamcast (often only released in Japanese markets, arcade is ridiculously popular there even to this day) and joystick controllers are also way easier to get hold of there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom