Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feargus on PS:T 2

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
re-imagining things is the height of creativity, it's what all successful games do these days

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I could go for a Planescape torment game staring Morte.

It will be a zombie dating sim.... IN SPACE....oh and it is now an FPS with perks.

MMXI

Arcane
I'm not sure about this. I guess I would welcome it because Planescape: Torment was one of the best story-focused RPGs ever created. However, it was never representative of the direction I wanted RPGs to head in. A greater focus on story and characters over all else? That's now what BioWare does, but with incredibly shitty writers.

In other words, I can see a multi-platform Planescape: Torment II making BioTards (and other degenerate groups) froth at the mouth claiming that this is the game all old-school RPG players had been waiting for (much like what journalists now say about Dragon Age: Origins in retrospect).

So basically this is half :incline: and half :decline: from me. I don't want a new Planescape Torment tainting the mainstream perception of what "old-school RPGs" are the way Dragon Age: Origins has done.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MMXI said:
I'm not sure about this. I guess I would welcome it because Planescape: Torment was one of the best story-focused RPGs ever created. However, it was never representative of the direction I wanted RPGs to head in. A greater focus on story and characters over all else? That's now what BioWare does, but with incredibly shitty writers.

In other words, I can see a multi-platform Planescape: Torment II making BioTards (and other degenerate groups) froth at the mouth claiming that this is the game all old-school RPG players had been waiting for (much like what journalists now say about Dragon Age: Origins in retrospect).

So basically this is half :incline: and half :decline: from me. I don't want a new Planescape Torment tainting the mainstream perception of what "old-school RPGs" are the way Dragon Age: Origins has done.
Well they should keep the great story and characters, but of course the game should have a much more detailed ruleset, which offers complex roleplaying. PST used an early DnD version, so it was limited in regard of skills and combat. Obsidian should definitely improve on that.

MMXI

Arcane
J_C said:
Obsidian should definitely improve on that.
What? Obsidian don't do mechanically interesting CRPGs. Heavily scripted, narrative heavy CRPGs? Yes. Mechanically interesting CRPGs? No.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well it is time to change that. :) Although I found the game mechanics in their games on par with other mainstream RPGs. I don't think it is that bad.

Captain Shrek

villain of the story said:
Indeed. All of their games are bogged down by actual mechanics than anything else.

While I agree that Obsidian games have bad mechanics, I would contend that those games had bad mechanics even before Obsidian took over for their development.

Which makes 1 game where they DEVELOPED bad game mechanic. The only game they made with their own IP is AP. They are making wheel of time. So lets see how that goes.

Black

Arcane
Torment 2? No, fuck you.
Planescape: Something? Cool, but please no to little combat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
There's a lot that can be done with a PST sequel that follows the story. You guys sound like the moronic anti BG3 crowd. FFS U r dum

MMXI

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
villain of the story said:
Indeed. All of their games are bogged down by actual mechanics than anything else.

While I agree that Obsidian games have bad mechanics, I would contend that those games had bad mechanics even before Obsidian took over for their development.

Which makes 1 game where they DEVELOPED bad game mechanic. The only game they made with their own IP is AP. They are making wheel of time. So lets see how that goes.
Well, I guess so. Technically. It's just that Obsidian's games seem to be created from giant flow charts with some statistical checks between selected nodes. They often pass for good RPGs due to fair amounts of skill checks in dialogue, but other than that they are pretty uninteresting.

I just want an RPG with a fuck load of numbers where each of those numbers affect just about everything you do. Turn-based of course. A Planescape: Torment II will just tell the mainstream what they already think, that western RPGs are all about story, characters and plenty of action, not numbers, character sheets and turn-based gameplay.

Captain Shrek

MMXI said:
Well, I guess so. Technically. It's just that Obsidian's games seem to be created from giant flow charts with some statistical checks between selected nodes. They often pass for good RPGs due to fair amounts of skill checks in dialogue, but other than that they are pretty uninteresting.

I just want an RPG with a fuck load of numbers where each of those numbers affect just about everything you do. Turn-based of course. A Planescape: Torment II will just tell the mainstream what they already think, that western RPGs are all about story, characters and plenty of action, not numbers, character sheets and turn-based gameplay.

I drastically fail to understand why we need a Planescape: torment sequel for this purpose. That story ends with in perfect way where finally the protagonist embraces his eventuality rather than forever trying to flee it.

MMXI

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
I drastically fail to understand why we need a Planescape: torment sequel for this purpose. That story ends with in perfect way where finally the protagonist embraces his eventuality rather than forever trying to flee it.
Yep. That's another issue entirely. I was just thinking long term about the harm a Planescape: Torment II made by Obsidian would do to the entire genre we all love dearly.
:love:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
As long as it has nothing to do with TNOs story, plays on another plane as there are plenty to choose from (though Sigil would be invitebale) and feautures good writing, why not. Don't really care if it's D&D system or not, I didn't have problems with the combat in Torment for example.

Redeye

Arcane
PS:T 2: Trail Of The Nameless One

"PST2TOTNO"

Think of all the wreckage and mysteries left behind by TNO as he went through his various incarnations.

You would play an investigator attempting to unravel the mysteries.

Maybe you have a partner in one time-slice named Vhaillor.
(Or rival investigator.)

In between the time-slices (where the trail goes cold), you can have mini-campaigns, not just a few side quests.
In these you get a taste of various parts of the Planescape milieu.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
My old suggestion:

Planescape: Torment 2: Vhailor's Vengeance

As the legendary armour-clad enforcer of justice, you find yourself awakened after a century-long slumber by a mysterious force voiced by David Hayter. All you know is that the hero you once followed has been condemned to fight in some war between demons or some shit, and, with axe in hand, you set out to put things right and rescue the Nameless Hero who saved the universe (didn't he? Emil, check that out if you get the chance. Actually, nah, don't bother). And all who stand before you will learn... fate carries an executioner's axe.

Quests will include "collect 5 special ingredients to lay the ghost of Deionarra to rest", and "a shady fellow in the Smokin' Body Bar has asked me to find out what can change the nature of a man. I should use my mini Modron's built-in GPS to find the cult which allegedly knows the answer".

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Planescape: Torment 2: Vhailor's Vengeance

how are you going to have immersion unless you get to buy a house that will display your trophies by completing difficult quests at S rank?

And you didn't even mention if you can become the grandmaster of all the sigil guilds.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Also, and I'm just saying, there totally needs to be a nude mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom