Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Feargus talks Obsidian at IGN

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Spazmo, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Spazmo Erudite

Spazmo
    Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> had a nice, long <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/684/684902p1.html>interview</a> with Feargus Urquhart of Obsidian Entertainment about... Obsidian Entertainment.<blockquote>Feargus admits that he gets yelled at sometimes for saying that games aren't art. "I think that sometimes games can be art in a certain way but that's not what we're doing. We're providing entertainment." And for Feargus and the team at Obsidian there's one cardinal rule for making sure a game is entertaining: "Don't frustrate the player. If there's any one thing that should pervade every form of game design it's that you shouldn't make the player fight the game."</blockquote>Games not being art is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, though, especially coming from Feargus "Slam Dunk" Urquhart.
    <br>
    <br>
    Thanks for the heads up, <b>baby arm</b>!

^ Top  
  2. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Funny thing is Kojima (from Metal Gear fame) says the same thing (games not being art) and he does not get yelled at.

^ Top  
  3. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Well, Obsidian are in the industry to make money, so logically any kind of artistic impression they leave is secondary to their primary goal.

^ Top  
  4. dunduks Liturgist

dunduks
    Very interesting read.
    This is excellent approach, but it looks like it does not always work.

^ Top  
  5. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Oh come on, he's just being honest and unpretentious. The greatest games ever made have not been art, they're entertainment. There's art in them, sure, but it's not the same thing.

^ Top  
  6. Blacklung Arbiter

Blacklung
    The geological, topographical, theological pancake
    The only game I'd call art, recently, would be psychonauts. That game was the most imaginative thing I've seen in this industry in quite some time. My friend bought it and I just sat and watched (something I usually don't like to do). It reminded me of Tim Burton's style of animation in Nightmare Before Christmas, just without as much black and death.

^ Top  
  7. Screaming_life Liturgist

Screaming_life
    And yet he makes such beautifull games

^ Top  
  8. Jon Scholar

Jon
    That was an interesting article. Obviously something wrong at IGN...

I didn't know that Feargus et al started out in QA. Bet that doesn't happen much anymore.

^ Top  
  9. FrancoTAU Cipher

FrancoTAU
    Movies and Books are entertainment and profit driven... yet they're considered art by most people, no? Personally, i think most movies, books and games would only be art by the most liberal of definitions. But, i do think there are gems in all genres that show exceptional thought, emotion and overal expression of the creators that i'd consider "Art"

^ Top  
  10. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    omg ico !!11!!!

^ Top  
  11. Greatatlantic Erudite

Greatatlantic
    Could somebody refresh my memory why he's called "slam dunk". I know thats his nick name know, I just can't remember where it came from.

On a related not, who was the idiot who made the "Tyranny of choice" comments. I think it was either Peter Molyneuax or Warren Spector... hmmm... I need to quote more developers in my sig to keep track of them all.

^ Top  
  12. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3931

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 4e03b2abdd

^ Top  
  13. TheGreatGodPan Arbiter

TheGreatGodPan
    It seems to me the solution is to let the player know the game rules.

^ Top  
  14. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Seriously, did anyone actually play ICO? That game is as much art as any fucking painting or poem. Another game I would nominate as art is Planescape fucking Torment, and who could disagree with that? Kojima has said that he doesn't consider the MGS series art, and I would agree, although that doesn't mean it's any less good. The MGS series is very post-modern.

^ Top  
  15. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Still Life had some good art, and is a piece of art in itself.

^ Top  
  16. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    ^ Top  
  17. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Perrier is carbonated sparkling mineral water. It is fucking awesome. And you can buy it at Walgreens.

^ Top  
  18. DorrieB Liturgist

DorrieB
    Sure not me. But I've never even heard of ICO. Is it something I could get still? I have a lot of time on my hands lately.

Another game that I would call art (although I don't know how you feel about adventure games): Grim Fandango.

^ Top  
  19. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    No game is fuckin' art. Art is art. Art = paintings and drawings. Games are games. Movies are movies. Books are books. Dumb fuckin' morons. I sure as heck didn't rea dbooks or play games in Art Class.

R00fles!

^ Top  
  20. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. FrancoTAU Cipher

FrancoTAU
    This was quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said on this board.

^ Top  
  22. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Don't be so quick to say that. Volourn has over six thousand posts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. zenslinger Novice

zenslinger
    Ain't that the truth. Utter, utter foolishness.

^ Top  
  24. Azarkon Arcane

Azarkon
    I've always conceived of "art," in its generic definition, as creative expression of the highest excellence. Unfortuntaely, academic elitism in the subject has given off the impression that "art" and "pop culture" are mutually exclusive and clearly defined categories. That, in my mind, is problematic because part of what makes art "art" is its ability to transcend categories and genres. To limit the scope of "art" is to limit the scope of creativity, and that's a damn shame.

Much as you do not judge as film as you would judge a book, games should not be considered "art" only for their achievements in the artistic, literary, or musical spheres. Starcraft is "art" insofar as art can apply to games. So is PS:T - but in a different fashion.

^ Top  
  25. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    DorrieB, Ico is an adventure/puzzle (third-person) for the PS2. It is 1st-generation yet still sports the most stunning graphics and art direction found in any PS2 game. You play a young boy, Ico, expelled from your village because you were born with horns. They take you to a far-away castle (where they send all the other people born with horns) to be dealt with by the castles' master, and that's where you assume control. You have to guide Ico through the many puzzles of the castle. Pretty soon you meet up with the only other living denizen, a girl named Yorda, who can't speak your language (you can never understand what she is saying, as while it is subtitled the subtitles are in her language) but seeing as how you're both trapped and alone you decide to make a go of it together. Most of the time she doesn't need much minding, but she's physically weaker than Ico (for reasons later inferred) and sometimes you have to guide her through certain puzzles (which is in itself part of the puzzle). The only confrontations in the game come from magical shadows that appear and try to spirit Yorda away from you, but they're very weak and it's not meant to be "action-y", as Ico doesn't even have a health gauge. One good wack from your trusty stick is all it takes and everything's safe again until the next point in which they appear. I would recommend this game to ANYONE, but especially to lovers of puzzle and adventure games, as it has one of the best ambiances of any game ever made. It is delightful, mystical, nostalgic, and manages to convey more emotional depth, and flesh out its two characters, better than most games, even without letting the player understand what is being said.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.