Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Feargus Urquhart talks about working with publishers at GamesIndustry Live

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

Obsidian studio head Feargus Urquhart appeared in a prerecorded interview yesterday at GamesIndustry Live, a business-oriented event running concurrently with EGX in London this year. The topic of the interview was developer-publish relationships, something Feargus has had a lot of experience with. He spoke about the Microsoft acquisition and about his experience working with publishers when Obsidian was still an independent company. While mainly positive, Feargus points at QA support as something that many publishers struggle with. For example, for Neverwinter Nights 2 Obsidian ended up having to recruit their own full-sized QA team. Publishers were also not always good at marketing the studio's smaller titles, such as Square Enix with Dungeon Siege III. Later on in the interview, Feargus also reveals that Obsidian once lost access to a particular license because of a small change to a contract that he missed.

I believe this is Feargus' first major public appearance since The Outer Worlds was in development. I wonder if that means anything.

• Shit x 6
    • Slam dunk! x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Correct_Carlo Arcane

Correct_Carlo
    Obsidian's marketing really needs to control their youtube thumbnails. No way is that the best thumbnail to use for this video.

• Funny Funny x 20
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    That's not their channel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Nah, that thumbnail's perfect.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tihskael Educated

Tihskael
    MC Urquhart

[​IMG]

Different persona. Different class.

[​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 6
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    so, anybody asked him if he finally succeeded in putting his kids on Obsidian's payroll?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    What would that mean?

^ Top  
  8. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Do not disparage Uruk-hai, he's a good friend of the 'Dex.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    " While mainly positive, Feargus points at QA support as something that many publishers struggle with. For example, for Neverwinter Nights 2 Obsidian ended up having to recruit their own full-sized QA team. Publishers were also not always good at marketing the studio's smaller titles, such as Square Enix with Dungeon Siege III."

And? It seems he expects others to do the work. Bug test your own damn game. You probably know the code, and what the story/plot/wahetver is about than some rando the publisher hire. FFS As for marketing... outside of tv ads - which 99% of games don't get - just spam gaming websites. LMFAO

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    for the QA comment, it's something that's often dealt by the publishers, a part of the publishing deal ; of course if Feargus missed in the contract that QA was Obsidian's job, it's on him

^ Top  
  11. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kleptocratic debt serf Scholar

Kleptocratic debt serf
    I dunno, he looks like an orc (or perhaps a well fed chipmunk), but has the high pitched voice of a mewling sycophant. Similar to Mike Tyson - except Orcheart is fat, white, nonthreatening and seemingly less intelligent too. He comes across as disingenuous to me, as though you wouldn't want to leave your candy or tip jar unattended while in his presence.

Oh and outside of his QA insight, his interview literally divulged nada, zip, zilch insofar as any valuable insight with respect to his dealings with Publishers, at least nothing that shouldn't already be completely obvious to even the untrained neophyte... Seriously, "read the contract" no shit, that is true of any profession/field. At best his appearance is a sign that something is on the horizon for Obsidian, for anything else this interview is a waste of time.

^ Top  
  13. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    Which license did they lose? Probably some dumb little tech like speedtree?

^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    My first thought was that he was referring to the Alien IP, since he was talking about a contract that he thought was for several games (Obsidian was making both Alpha Protocol and Aliens Crucible for SEGA). Just a theory though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    Hi, this is Todd Howard from Obsidian Marketing. Do you have five minutes to hear about our amazing new life-changing role-playing game?

• Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. gaussgunner Arcane

gaussgunner
    I see. It's GamesIndustry.biz's channel with comments turned off on half of their videos and a whopping 2,000 subscribers. They don't get to choose their thumbnail.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    Is it just me, or is Feargus getting fatter and fatter?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Could now Obsidian get Icewind Dale 3 licence or maybe Alien for an horror RPG?

^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    maybe it was because the game is shit

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Flou Arbiter

Flou
    I think he was referring to the IPs they lost at Black Isle, since they managed to keep one, but lost few of them. Alien IP's rights did not revert from Sega to anyone, same goes to Alpha Protocol. Both remained at the time with Sega.

^ Top  
  21. grimace Prophet

grimace
    Brofist this post if you watched the video until the end.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    someone needs to talk to him about that hat. it looks like he ate the producer who used to wear those, and the producer is now nested inside his body, filling him out, while he adopts his outward appearance.

edit: unintended 'acquired by microsoft' analogy

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 2:31 AM
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Thonius Arcane

Thonius
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Obsidian always complained about ebul publishers, no? And they made MANY bad dealings and switched gazillion of publishers... and they got bought by microsoft that buys everything...So I guess my question is, can we trust his insights? No scratch that, can we trust him at all?

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.