Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feat suggestions for the colony ship game

Deleted Member 22431

Post any ideas here. I will start with:

Last Resort

If the character has a heath of 5 points or less, he can choose to activate this ability (1AP) and have an additional turn. If the fight doesn’t end in the next turn, the character dies.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Post any ideas here. I will start with:

Last Resort

If the character has a heath of 5 points or less, he can choose to activate this ability (1AP) and have an additional turn. If the fight doesn’t end in the next turn, the character dies.
Too powerful. Plus imagine how well this feat would work for enemies. He almost killed you on his turn but now he's going to die. But what is this? He activates a free turn and shoots you in the face for the lulz.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Something like that is in Slay the Spire (Enter Divine mode, die next turn) that Eyestabber loves but there it makes sense. In CSG not so much. It's really hard to design a feat that's creative but also reasonable (so no demi-god mode).

Deleted Member 22431

Too powerful. Plus imagine how well this feat would work for enemies.
Who said anything about enemies having these special perks? LOL Moreover, you need to consider what would be the stat/skill requirements. You can make them more prohibitive. There is no chance in hell you would go for my next suggestions then, but I will post them anyway:

Magnet
When this ability is activated (6AP), all enemy attacks will be redirected to your character for the next two turns.

Friendly or foe
+5 to dialogue skill checks with friendly factions, -5 to dialogue skill checks with enemy factions.

All in
When this ability is activated (1AP), the character has +10 increase in Strength until the end of the turn. In the next turn and until the end of the encounter, the strength will be reduced to 4.

Invulnerable
When this ability is activated (6AP), the player can decide to convert any given amount of health points into damage resistance points until the end of the encounter.

Cosmic justice
When this ability is activated (6AP), every character has their HP reduced and fixed to 1 for the next two turns.

Pawns
When this ability is activated (6AP), the player can choose a companion to take every incoming attack to your character until the end of the encounter.

Devotion
When this ability is activated (10AP), the player can choose a companion to self-sacrifice in a suicidal attack, thus causing 90 damage points.

Eye for an Eye
When this ability is activated (6AP), for the next turn the enemy will suffer the same amount of damage he caused in your character.

Nullify
When this ability is activated (6AP), your character will be able to intercept the first attack against your character in the next turn.

Magnetic trap
When this ability is activated (6AP), the first enemy that attacks your character will be trapped in a magnet camp with you for the next two turns.

Do gooder
When this ability is activated (1AP), you can sacrifice health points for additional damage in your next attack.

Standstill
When this ability is activated (6AP), nobody will be able to attack for the next two turns.

Slowly grinding to a halt
When this ability is activated (6AP), each attack will cost an additional 6AP for the next two turns.

Gore
When this ability is activated (2AP), only attacks will be permissible for the next two turns.

For the greater good
When this ability is activated (6AP), everyone will suffer 10 damage points.

Deleted Member 22431

I didn't post any of the supposed requirements so that you can determine them with builds in mind. For instance, feats like pawns or devotion would require high charisma and persuasion, etc.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Who said anything about enemies having these special perks?
We firmly believe that anything the player's character can do, the enemies should be able to do better too.

There is no chance in hell you would go for my next suggestions then, but I will post them anyway:
We always pay attention to suggestions but they must fit the overall design. It would also be better if you'd play the demo first.

Magnet
When this ability is activated (6AP), all enemy attacks will be redirected to your character for the next two turns.
I don't think you have to worry about the enemies overlooking you. And if you want to be a hero, just move a bit forward.

Friendly or foe
+5 to dialogue skill checks with friendly factions, -5 to dialogue skill checks with enemy factions.
Would make checks too easy with the friendlies, needlessly difficulty with the enemies. Still, I like the idea of giving a loyal soldier a bonus with dialogues within his faction.

All in
When this ability is activated (1AP), the character has +10 increase in Strength until the end of the turn. In the next turn and until the end of the encounter, the strength will be reduced to 4.
That's why I suggested playing the demo first. There is a stim (similar to AoD's Berserker) that increases your damage, AP, and reaction for 2 turns, then you get -2 to all physical stats.

Invulnerable
When this ability is activated (6AP), the player can decide to convert any given amount of health points into damage resistance points until the end of the encounter.
You spend 20HP to boost your DR by 20 and now nobody can touch you. Fun? You want damage resistance? We have armor, feats, and implants. More than enough.

Cosmic justice
When this ability is activated (6AP), every character has their HP reduced and fixed to 1 for the next two turns.
Again, you have to play the demo to get a good feel of the combat system. You can attack more often than in AoD, especially with fast weapons like revolvers. I can drop 8 guys with 1HP in 2 turns. Plus we go for pseudo realism, meaning no silly shit that magically turn a tough fight into a cakewalk.

Peons
When this ability is activated (6AP), the player can choose a companion to take every incoming attack to your character until the end of the encounter.
Move the companion forward and he will take most damage.

Devotion
When this ability is activated (10AP), the player can choose a companion to self-sacrifice in a suicidal attack, thus causing 90 damage points.
Seriously?

Play the demo, form an opinion, then tell me what's missing.

Trashos

Arcane
Not going to be much help currently, but here are some general thoughts.

We firmly believe that anything the player's character can do, the enemies should be able to do better too.

Not sure I agree with this, maybe you are restricting yourselves too much.
But my bigger (adjacent) issue is whether the enemy can have feats that I cannot. I WANT them to have feats that I do not, so that encounters can be designed where my team is up against single badass opponents. Feats give show-dont-tell character to opponents, but no so much if the same feats are available to everyone.

Similarly, it would be awesome if companions have unique feats that give them character. Not anything too powerful, just something that gives a minor practical effect... and a lot of character.

I do like the general concept of feats/consumables that give trade offs, awesome!

Tigranes

Arcane
Generally, I think the symmetry in CSG is delightful - when you know the enemies play by exactly the same rules as you (Vault Dweller I still think the game should find a way to show/tell player this early on), then you get a strong sense of how brutal but fair the system is, and it is also far easier to again take one look at the battlefield and know what is happening and make precise calculations. You're never dying because some enemy popped up to play by different rules, and you're never winning because you have bullshit powers they don't.

Of course, the rule could be broken in exceptional cases if the payoff is worth it.

The consumables in the combat beta were very cool - they had exactly the tradeoffs imagined in some of the suggestions above.

Vault Dweller

Developer
But my bigger (adjacent) issue is whether the enemy can have feats that I cannot.
No.

I WANT them to have feats that I do not, so that encounters can be designed where my team is up against single badass opponents.
I wouldn't worry about that.

Similarly, it would be awesome if companions have unique feats that give them character. Not anything too powerful, just something that gives a minor practical effect... and a lot of character.
We'll definitely consider it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Generally, I think the symmetry in CSG is delightful - when you know the enemies play by exactly the same rules as you
But their rules are at x2. ie I doubt enemies have 2 points in pistols early or something, which I think is evident from rolls in combat log where they roll fairly low but still score hits due to high boost to accuracy. I take it cover halves your accuracy (or is it flat modifier?) ie I noticed when in cover I get 30% hit but walking around enemy turns it to 60%.

which leads to early/midgame lol rushing, until you stack some extra acc% from gear/feats and can actually hit them while both of you sit behind same crate breathing each other in the ear. imo it is silly.

reaction shots I am also not sure about. arena in demo is 16x24 or something but combat takes place around 5 hexes, and ends in 2-3 turns. wasting ap early is already bad but then moving 1 step can mean 5 enemies shooting you at the same time.

maybe better designed levels and more long range engagements would help to break the pacing, but if every fight in the real game would be 3 steps away from enemy, it would become boring quick. AoD With Guns is not enough to give an actual fresh tomato rpg experience imo, and definitely doesn't have much on classical tactical rpgs. (i am not expecting silent storm but, at least add more different tetris crates to run around.)

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Politician just play it first, bro. Like VD said, you need to get into it to get the feel of not only what feat can get into the game, but also how existing feat should behave so they wouldn't be 'boring'.

I just took a glance at the feat selection just now and I feel like they're mostly fine, though I still need to get into the demo proper to get a feel of how they play out during moment-to-moment gameplay. But the weapon specialization feats really need some revamp because just simple number modifiers seemed boring. Instead, I'm gonna suggest something like this:
Basher: Blunt Accuracy +10. Stagger +5 for each skill level.
Why not make it like AoD, and make blunt weapons get a chance to reduce target's DR with this feat? Or make it ignore a % of DR on successful proc.
Butcher: Bladed Accuracy +10. Reaction +5 for each skill level.
Again, just like AoD, a butcher sounds like the guy became really good at targeting specific points to make cuts that bleeds. So, a chance to make target bleed on successful proc.
Pistolero: Pistol Accuracy +10. Reaction +4 for each skill level.
This seems like it could be like the Gunslinger feat of Underrail. Increase initiative and reaction when equipped with (firearm) pistols, and reduce AP needed to fire it to further emphasize and specialize on speed. Maybe even restrict the AP cost reduction to specific attack mode if concerned about balance.
Rifleman: Rifle Accuracy +10. Stagger +5 for each skill level.
Increase THC and crit chance of aimed attacks, maybe?
Too Close!: Shotgun Accuracy +10. Knockdown +5 for each skill level.
Too Close! implies it being in melee, so having it flatly increase shotgun accuracy seemed strange. This could be like the Leading Shot feat of Underrail, but instead of taking effect when there's no one in melee range, make it so it's effective against enemies in melee. Boost graze, THC, or even min damage against enemies in melee?
Gunner: SMG Accuracy +10. Graze +3 for each skill level.
So... what separates this from the Gunfighter feat? The name seemed to imply a same concept. But since it's an SMG feat, I'll suggest renaming it to.... maybe 'Shoot Em' Up!'? Or maybe 'Not Enof Dakka!'? And instead of flat accuracy bonus, maybe reduce AP needed to perform burst attacks with SMG, like Underrail's Spec Ops?
Master Blaster: Energy Weapons: THC +15, CS chance +10
In addition to crit chance, instead of THC I'd say this should boost crit damage of energy weapons instead. Also, why is this in Ranged feat category, instead of Ranged Weapon Specialization?

Shadenuat

Arcane
hy not make it like AoD, and make blunt weapons get a chance to reduce target's DR with this feat?
I actually wonder, what happened with armor durability and stuff? it would help against enemies who like to just eat grazes from some weapons

So, a chance to make target bleed on successful proc.
bleed would be nice as an effect on crit/chance to get at low hp because as for now enemy can totally be in 1 hp and be about as fine as killing you as at 55

Boost graze, THC, or even min damage against enemies in melee?
shotguns have already natural 45% graze tbh.

the problem I see is that everything feeds into this +accuracy thing regardless of weapon type. and then per also gives you ability to act before enemy.

Deleted Member 22431

Shadenuat is doing his best to make the game even more impossible.

XD

If they sell only a few units, it is your fault.

Deleted Member 22431

Politician just play it first, bro.
I did yesterday. It is addicting as hell.

Like VD said, you need to get into it to get the feel of not only what feat can get into the game, but also how existing feat should behave so they wouldn't be 'boring'.
Well, the problem is that they are making the combat system a battle of attrition. So while the description of each feat may seem boring, they add to devastating effect with the proper build and progression. If you change too much, the whole thing will break.

Deleted Member 22431

I actually wonder, what happened with armor durability and stuff? it would help against enemies who like to just eat grazes from some weapons
I don't think they will implement any feature that is time-consuming anymore. Remember, they already removed unarmed attacks and other things. So it will be pretty much feature locked from this point on.

Deleted Member 22431

We already have people claiming that melee is impossible and the firearms are too weak and don't do any damage.
Everything is impossible in this game if you don't read the descriptions and make an effort to interpret the symbols.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
We'll definitely consider it.
This is one of the big differences between D&D 3E and 4E.

In 3E, every NPC, antagonist or monster is built using the player character system, same leveling rules, feats, spell lists. The idea is to simulate reality. It's a nice goal, but also it was terrible in execution for the GM since you needed to use a very complex system to build characters that wouldn't last long. It was also very rigid: if you wanted to give an NPC/monster a Sneak attack, you had to give it levels in the Rogue PC class.

In 4E, NPCs etc. are built using their own rules, made for how they'll be used. It's more of a practical approach to design than simulationist, much more useful for the GM. And it allows much more easily for distinctive powers for each race, combat role, and "boss" adversary. It gives them a lot of character in combat. For example, Goblins are evasive, so they've got a free 5-foot move when missed by an attack, and some Sneaking. Hobgoblin soldiers work in Phalanxes, so they get more armor when adjacent to another Hobgoblin soldier. Kobolds are shifty, so they have a mobility advantage: they can always reposition to an adjacent square for free. Wolves knock you prone on a successful attack if they have combat advantage (with flanking for example, basically when working as a pack). This makes it so that each group of enemy has new tactics you have to adapt to, and the tactics they use are very representative of who they are. It's one of the best things about 4E.

But that distinctiveness doesn't have to come at the cost of realism. There are perfectly logical reasons for some abilities / feats not to be widely available to players. You could have Faction-specific tactical feats. A faction has developped a way of fighting that is reserved for its members, capitalizes on an implant they have, or whatnot. So that would give them character, and explain why the PC can't get it: they'd have to become a member of the faction, or get and implant, to be able to get the feat. Basically knowledge of the feat is restriced, and maybe some players, given their choices or alliances, can learn it. You can expand on this idea and justify why some "boss" NPC has a feat, because of his specific experiences and background, or developped skill. Theoretically the PC could learn the same, but the NPC would have to teach you, and maybe that's not an option.

Basically PC access to feats can be restricted without it not making sense or seeming not fair or being arbitrary. And having simple but distinctive quirks / feats that are seen in NPC tactics adds a lot more character to them than you might think. It makes the NPC's character/personality relevant in combat; and reinforces roleplaying.

Shadenuat

Arcane
well define melee.

I actually did a melee "run" with thatbarbarian codexer inspired char: 10 str, some con even, Strength is fucking Strong right?

in first fight (easiest) enemy had more initiative than me and killed me in 1 round with crits. :lol:

Tigranes

Arcane
Shadenuat is doing his best to make the game even more impossible.

XD

If they sell only a few units, it is your fault.
We already have people claiming that melee is impossible and the firearms are too weak and don't do any damage.

For the full release at least, please release some videos that show off a properly built character wreaking carnage with a hammer or whatever. Just gives people something to look up / point to. Something that simple will make at least some players go "OK I guess it is possible, I gotta work at it". Others will whine and deny reality and claim it's all a conspiracy, but oh well

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragon Born

Must be selected during character creation - the Player is the distant descendant of a medieval dragon. Able to breathe fire for 1d4 damage per level. At higher levels, the cone of effect becomes larger. Useable once per day, but you can restore the power by consuming alcohol. If the player receives a piercing wound while standing near an open flame, he explodes.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Darth Canoli made a good suggestion that I liked quite a lot:

- You should add some difficulty settings in the final release, otherwise, the retards steam people are going to sink the game's ratings (option : one easy "fix" could be an extra free special feat for the easy mode, beginner's Luck : +10 THC +10 Evade +10 HP)
Similar to AoD's Mr. Awesome but better.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Just remember not to call it Easy Mode and don't call the feat "beginner's luck," otherwise the simpletons won't choose those because it would damage their ego, but they will still insist on saying the game is being unfair as they play the clearly harder modes.

Call the Easy Mode "DARK SOULS PREPARE TO DIE EDITION MODE", and the feat "Battle Hardened" or something.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Porn Cock

You are so well endowed that female enemies have a 5% chance to switch over to your side during combat every turn.
Come on Poos, let's not be crass. There are subtler ways:

ff.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom