Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feedback needed for my new 3d project (PnP/board gaming miniatures related!)

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Howdy bois!
I hope I'm not posting this in a wrong part of the forums, but if true - please, just move this post to the proper ones.

So, I'm currently working on another 3d printing project for my PnP campaigns. I got few years of experience in that field, but my first minis were basicly whole characters (as most minis out there) which wasn't satisfying to paint or use. I made some bucks on 'em, but there are too many great creators basicly shitting out minis day by day. Such competition made me go another way.
As I love both Battle Brothers and Rising Lords, I decided to try going similiar way - most importantly to cut the awful process of positiong whole models. While modelling only top half of the characters, I can spend more time on modelling and sculpting, creating 2-3 times more figurines.
Arms and sometimes hips are the only thing I need to position now, and those aren't as painful as legs were. In case of heads - I plan to make them fully modular, so as people print those fuckers, they can glue any head they want (Space marines style)
Equipment as weapons (with hands) will be exchangable as well, and I do plan to model things like bags/purses/quivers and so on. But first things first.

I need some feedback to know if something like this would be a good starting point and If I should continue going this way. I heard mostly positive opinions about it so far and people said that they would definitely use them in their PnP sessions - provided that they'd be able to get a big pack of different, customizable pawns at once (and that's what I'm aiming for, instead of thousand of small releases)
Another advantage of going this way is an ability to sit a figurine on a mount (instead of using another figurine to show when your character is mounted/dismounted) - I'd show my WiP of a horse figurine in a while so you can process how this will work.

Those are going to fit Warhammer/Witcher and most of the dark/"semi-realistic" fantasy settings. I don't plan anything sci-fi yet.

So here is an WiP of the first prototype. Exchangable head and exchangable hands+weapon. The base is a placeholder so I could tell how it would look like on something.
Yr28XWQ.png

EiBfBht.png

P6ex53X.png

Remember that it's 32mm scale, so a lot of fine details will be lost when 3d printing. That's why I don't bother too much about wrinkles, veins and other sheit.

EDIT: That's the dude on -hour and half- horse scuplt. I'm thinking about something like this exactly - so you can put the pawn on the horse. Don't judge the animal. I rushed it and didn't want to waste time on saddle for now.
1hgEpnt.png

And a different head I made long time ago. One of my first models and definitely different style, lel.
yLXVX6t.png

No test prints yet, but I'm sure it'd look fine. Got a lot of experience in resin 3d printing.

Any feedback/questions and ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Did a little bit more progress in my spare time. That's how the figurines would look like (still need to finish the thoroughbred horse + introduce the mane and tail)
I'm planning on dozens of head and weapon variants.
As you can tell, you could possibly create stupid combinations like peasant horsemen or horsemen with empty ale mugs. Thing is - It's to depict when character is mounted and not, so you can basicly take the pawn off the horse at any time.
BcqcZMm.png

gib feedback plox.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
More progress, showcasing armored dude n.1, possible head variety and other shit(and there is much more, like eg. decoration on the helmet, different visors, different helmets, different faces/hairstyles. A lot of possibilities)
Still WiP, as I need to get his fingers on the fucking thing + introduce more different poses. After I'm done with that and finishing the poses for the first guy, mass production of different lads might commence.
lba1TrO.png

The Red Knight

Erudite
Don't judge the animal. I rushed it and didn't want to waste time on saddle for now.
gib feedback plox.
Make mounts' heads more raised / within the bounds of the base, instead of reaching forward?
c93pnDP.jpg

(cover bottom half with your hand for visualisation)

Without legs that pose looks like it's swimming:
MpbjJfR.jpg

I'm not your target audience though so feel free to ignore if it doesn't work well in practice (like it's easier to grab the miniature by the protruding head or you want that space to accomodate for possibly-wider riders or something).

Modular miniatures and mount+rider combos sound good.
glue any head they want
Would removable lego heads that can be switched out if you want to repurpose the miniature's body, be too fragile? Like, making them with a hole inside that you can slide on a pin protruding from the body (or the reverse of it). The connection could be a bit loose and the pin triangular to keep the head from rotating randomly.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Rising the horse head might be a good idea and it shouldn't take long. I plan to make several models for those, so we'll see how they end up looking.

Removable heads with slide on pin might be fragile, yes. Depends on the resin used. There are some resins that are quite flexible or hard as ABS so it's all about the material used. I was thinking about leaving some space for small diameter magnets.
Also worth to note - I can see a problem with bare chest characters or those with clothes that do not cover their necks. Quite possibly those will have to be in one piece as visible transition is not something I'd go with. Might try both version tho.

Not having 3d printer at hand is problematic. I can't test anything I model as I left my resin printer home (I work and live in a different country ~1200 km from there)
Same problem with time. I'd be able to finish 2-3 pieces daily if only had more free time ;_; Anyway, it's going super slow for now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom