Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Feel like beating the dead horse?

Approve of this shit?

• Yea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nay

• Kingcomrade (this one ISN'T for yes.)

• Total voters

spectre

Arcane
I, for one, felt a bit like writing something for you to rip apart, so here goes:

Let's take a look at the two recent Codex favorites. Not just fps, but from the perspective of other genres as well.

I am of the opinion that no feature is inherently bad, it can only be badly implemented or not balanced enough.
So, without further ado...

Beating a Dead Horse: RegHealth and Covers.

The first culprit is the cover system. The tough cookie is actually pinpointing what's so very wrong about it. In theory, it's all fine and dandy, you need to implement cover to have any kind of semi-realistic combat mechanics including gunpowder, as cover has traditionally been the best way to reduce the effects of bullets, shrapnel and explosions.

A well implemented cover system would result in an added layer of strategy, in which positioning becomes crucial to the success. So far, this is all good, and to be honest, I find it hard to imagine why a game in a modern setting, regardless of genre, would drop such an element. It obviously works well with any game that has pretences to being 'tactical', a condition that seems to be coveted by many contemporary fps, strategies and rpgs.

It becomes a bit trickier when we discuss the role of cover in fantasy-themed settings. Obviously firearms go out of the picture, and if they don't they are often reduced to the role of slower firing, more powerful crossbows with added hazard.
However, that does not say cover won't play any role on a fantasy battlefield. We still have the heavy artillery in the form of mages and fireballs, and the good old brick wall still protects well against arrows and bolts. The system is naturally more melee oriented, but potential is still there, especially if we shift a bit away from D&D in the general direction of Warhammer.

So what happens when the cover system goes bad?
First, we lose realism instead of actually gaining it, if the cover mechanics are, in a nutshell, step here and press a key to become invulnerable. This is obviously bad, but what adds insult to injury is when the AI does not play by the same rules, and the same boni from being in cover does not apply to the enemies. What we get is the well known (and hated) shooting gallery gameplay.

The ideal system should avoid any of those pitfalls. I think a fair system should incorporate the following:
(o) Being in cover noticeably reduces the chance of injury from projectiles, explosive blast and concussion. The actual effect depends on cover quality.
(o) You lose all the benefits of cover if the enemy moves in close enough for melee, flanks, or gains a height advantage.
(o) Cover has different 'grades': full cover, light cover, soft and hard. This is used to calculate overall effectiveness when stopping incoming fire. Soft cover does not stop incoming fire completely, but greatly reduces chance to be seen. Light cover can only be used when prone.

The second culprit I wanted to tackle is the regenerating health system we know from many fps games, but it is not limited to the genre.
First things first, I have to say that in my opinion regenerating health is and always will be a simplification of rules, dumbing down if you will. It essentially takes away a bit of the resource management from the player, no matter if it is medikits like in Doom, medikits plus limb HP from Deus Ex, or magical potions of healing.
All it takes is a few moments o rest to magic away the hurt. While it can be argued what strains suspension of disbelief more, instant use medikits or a few seconds of rest, the main problem lies in that a bit of gameplay is gone: will there be a lifesaving +100 kit round the corner.

Nostalgia aside, I can see the reason for this specific design feature. First of all, it is way easier to balance fights this way, as you can assume that the player enters each one with full health. Next, it obscures the flow of narrative less, cause instead of hunting for kits, the player simply waits a bit and is ready to rumble once more.
You could also say that picking up instant-heal medic bags ruins 'immershun', especially for games that have pretences to realism (like the XX-XXI century war fpss).

That said, I think this mechanics can use a bit of an improvement. It has some good sides, but I am not entirely happy with letting go of the madikit mangement aspect.
And there is something beautiful about the situation when you're down to your last 10% of health, fighting your way cautiously to a medikit equivalent down the alley.

So again, what an ideal system would look like for regenerating health?
I think the main pitfall to avoid is going to the extremes = either making it regenerate too slow or too fast, first one makes it pointless, the second to easy.
The second pitfall is: regenerating heath does not mean medikits and field medics are now useless. It all needs to click into place.

With all these assumptions in place, I would say that an optimal arrangement would be something akin to Republic Commando – you have a regenerating shield that absorbs hits, once it's down, you lose chunks of health (that do not regenerate unless healed), and when 'dead'; you need a sqadmate for a respawn.

This still has problems: can feel too easy at times, if healing is too plentiful, losing it feels inconsequential.
And the other – it works for sci-fi only.

I would amend it thus:
Divide total health into chunks (say, 5 equal 20% total health). If your health is above the threshold (80%, 60%, 40% 20%), you can regenerate a full chunk quickly. So you can go from 17% to 20%, 90% to 100%, but not from 30% to 80%. For that you need serous first aid (drugs, medic, healing stations, med-bots, whatever).

Now, add stuff for added flavor/difficulty: hitpoints for different hit locations, critical hits that permanently knock off one health level, and damage levels that give penalties to stats, and we're set.

So, trannies and gentlemen, this text has no pretences to being complete. Further, it does not ask your mercy, so treat it accordingly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cover is okay and has always been there. For first person FPS you just have to place an obstacle somewhere and the player has to hide behind it. That's it. No "press a button to get behind it!" required. In 3rd person action games (like Stranglehold) it's more justified, but still not required. You can still just stand behind something solid.

Now, if you don't have direct WASD control but isometric perspective with mouse control, a tactical cover system makes a lot more sense. Like, let every char have the ability to hide behind cover. When he looks out to shoot, he can get hit, of course. It's mostly just about positioning and adds a lot of importance to getting your guys in a good position where they've got some cover in front of them and can get good shots at the enemy. Flanking also becomes more important.

I wouldn't implement a dedicated cover system in a no-firearms medieval or fantasy setting, though. Just a simple roll of "arrow has 50% chance to hit the wooden box the char is standing behind" or something. Generally, just the logical "if you stand behind something it's harder to get hit".

Regenerating health... meh. If it's implemented in something like an FPS, it's only acceptable if you can only survive three shots or so. Having a large healthpool that regenerates makes it too easy in my opinion and makes cover extremely exploitable.

A lot of words which don't say anything new.

I also like how you give Republic Commando as an example of regen health done right, even though it's identical to... Halo's. HALO MOAR LIEK GAYLO!

Anyway. I like regen health because medkits are bullshit and, as you said, they break "immershun". It would be half as bad if you actually had to USE them, but in majority of FPSes you just walk over them and get instantly healed, which is, well, a fifteen-year-old mechanic.

It's also rather easy to make regen health "realistic". All sci-fi FPSes can get away with power shields. Even stuff like CoD could make it reasonable, for example by introducing a "risk factor" - that is you don't actually get shot, you just increase your "risk level" when you're out of cover. When it drops to 0, then you get shot and it's game over. Once you hide, the "risk factor" decreases just like health normally regens. Banal to implement, much better than the vision going red and surviving RPG-7 shots in the face.

spectre

Arcane
A lot of words which don't say anything new.
Hence the title. I was bored and wanted to initate a discussion. Figured an inane question wouldn't do.
I also like how you give Republic Commando as an example of regen health done right, even though it's identical to... Halo's. HALO MOAR LIEK GAYLO!
Yea, I also caught myself doing it... had to take a shower afterwards.

Seriosly though, for some reason this particular solution seems to work on paper, yet is looked down upon.
The question is why, and 'cause itz teh gay lolz' doesn't make the cut for me.

Hmmm. The risk thing looks like something that is worth digging into.
It could work, though from what you're saying it just doubles as a visual aid for wht th cover system already does.

Big Nose George

Educated
Halo is scifi. How do you get shields in the wild west?
Also:
Cover done right: more depth for game.
Regen done right: less depth for game.

Just say no.

First time I saw obvious autoregen was in Cod2. The one example that stuck with me was when the russians storm some building across a field. I was playing on hard. The game builds this melodramatic atmo with music and shit and if you let it, it even works more or less. But all the illusions fall instantly when you get hit, get this red screen, cover for few sec and are ready for the next 20 meters.

But the illusion DOESN'T fall instantly when you get shot fifty times then pick up a medkit and go on your merry way.

bhlaab

Erudite
Depends on the game. Gears of War was quite fun with its cover system because it was built around the concept.

Halo's health regen was also good because it made sense with the setting and the firefights in the game were built on two opposting sides of an arena trying to flank and outmaneuver each other. Turning it into an endurance game would detract from the idea. Meanwhile regenerating health means that grenades and concentrated fire are more of an effective enemy than slowly chipping away at an HP number.

It's the shoddy ripoff artists that try to shoehorn popular mechanics of other games into their own for no good or justified reason that ruin perfectly decent concepts.
Thus, regen health goes from being part of a tightly designed package to "well, figuring out where to place the medkits is a pain innit"

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Emotional Vampire said:
But the illusion DOESN'T fall instantly when you get shot fifty times then pick up a medkit and go on your merry way.

This is funny.

It's also true.

Is it funny, because it is true?

The health system in Call of Cthulhu: DCotE was done quite well.

"Quite well?" Shit was fucking genious, brutha.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I am of the opinion that no feature is inherently bad, it can only be badly implemented or not balanced enough.
Yes.

Otherwise: tl;dr
Hmmm. The risk thing looks like something that is worth digging into.
It could work, though from what you're saying it just doubles as a visual aid for wht th cover system already does.
This is the codex. Not that it is much different anywhere else, just the other way around.
I see it as a question of attitude.
To derail the thread a little:
In LotRO you don't have hp, you have Morale. It completely changes (my) perspective, suddenly all hp-conventions (and health-regen) make (more) sense.

Big Nose George

Educated
Grunker said:
Emotional Vampire said:

This is funny.

It's also true.

Is it funny, because it is true?

This is funny? You are fucking retarded.
Also I am misunderstood in the meaning of the word illusion by another retard, not because he is a retard but because I used it wrong, that doesnt change the fact that he is a retard though. But less retarded than you.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Can I offer you some butthurt-removing candyfloss as a sign of good faith?

Cassidy

Arcane
The Witcher was the only game I played that had a decent regeneration system that makes sense with the plot and game setting, and the fact the first "healing potions" that can be made, grabbed or bought simply accelerate the otherwise sluggish regeneration rate instead of instantly recovering vitality/HPs was another good point. Way better than permanenty fast regen, and unlike in certain games of another genre, the enemies wouldn't wait for the recovery of the PC, although it was still possible to run away from them if things got nasty.

PS: Also, Planescape: Torment, of course.

bhlaab said:
Halo's health regen was also good
Dude, you just said that Halo did something right. And that health regen isn't always bad. On RPG Codex.

The hivemind will not have this. You must be eliminated.

DraQ

Arcane
spectre said:
A well implemented cover system would result in an added layer of strategy, in which positioning becomes crucial to the success.
Not necessarily. Any 3D game with some sort of collision detection possesses implicit cover system and this is sufficient for exploiting any potential cover - especially if you can crouch or lie prone.
The problem lies within explicit cover systems themselves.

First, they consist of designated spots that count as cover - this robs the gameplay of depth and detail, as free movement and cover calculated within the context of gameplay mechanics are replaced with predefined cover and possibly being exempt from usual mechanics - that's not only dumbing down and unnecessary abstraction, but also linearization of gameplay, as it precludes creativity on part of the player - cover not intended/foreseen to be cover isn't cover. It also removes elaborate movement behind cover as viable tactics, which can be taken for granted in game without explicit cover system, where stuff being between player character and enemy automatically provides cover.

Second, in any game, where player character huddles behind a cover without the line of sight to the target, and fires his gun "blindly", while the player can see the target, the cover system is effectively a cheat.

To sum this up, cover systems in general don't add depth, nor detail to the gameplay, it merely makes the game more OMG cinematic, hence is a mere gimmick. More so, it does so at the expense of non-linearity, emergent gameplay, player-side creativity, plasticity of gameplay and such. This should suffice to induce codex-wide hatred towards cover systems in general, accompanied with loud :rage:.

Like many "inherently" bad things (*cough* use-based skill development *cough*), it should be possible to design a cover system that would actually enrich gameplay - all it would take is making game sense potential cover based on geometric context, and not predefined spots, without introducing any hacks to basic mechanics or cheats like blind aiming. It would probably still be partly cosmetic, but at least it wouldn't adversely affect the game, and in some situations might actually improve it.
As for different grades of cover, separation of collision (and possibly penetration) checks from visibility checks does it automagically.

Given that even good old TB Wizardry 8 apparently used collision detection for projectile mechanics, no explicit system is necessary.

Now, for the second issue - regenerating health. I do confess I quite like the idea. First things first, it reduces medkit-hunting, which is, quite frankly, retarded. Mission-structured games can get away without any form of healing mechanics, but open ones don't have this kind of luxury and it's better to have some slow health regeneration (the part stalker did right), rather than insta-heal medkit/banadage hunt/spam (the part it did extremely wrong) - medkits, if at all available, should be rare, take a lot of time to use (preventing you from even moving during this time), a lot of time to take effect and possibly be necessary to repair structural damage. I wrote 'slow' - let me emphasize that - health regeneration should be slow, it should be means to regain some health before next encounter not to mend gaping wounds by crouching behind a barrel.

Focusing on not getting hit, and on armour (and, in melee oriented games, character's dodges and parries) allowing to avoid damage or to reduce what would result in gaping wounds to the cause of some cuts and bruises helps immensely with health management - it's paradoxically easier to not screw yourself in a game where you have good chance to stay healthy when using good tactics, and to become very dead very quickly if you use a bad one, than in one where using bad tactics simply leaves you with less and less HP after each consecutive encounter, until you suddenly realize that you face a big bad boss with mere 4HP left and go all :codexsnewfavouriteicon: .

As for the shields, they automatically simplify the problem and alleviate the design issues, while, at the same time, not being viable solution in most settings, so let's just ignore them.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm always surprised when people think "cover systems" are anything new since they have existed in shooters since, like, ever. If you stand behind something solid you don't get hit. If you stand out in the open, you're easy to hit. If you crouch behind a crate, your head might be visible but lower body can't be hit. It's logical and everyone knew how it works and nobody ever complained about it and nobody even discussed it because it's just logical.

Your char behind solid object --> you have cover.
That's how it works in real life, too, and nobody ever thought of needing any better cover systems than hiding behind solid objects.

Mystary!

Arcane
How about a "degenerating" injury system, the more you get hit, the faster your health begins to drop. Critcal hits would remove a big chunk of your health. Medkits would act as bandages, and simply slow down or stop the "degeneration" all together.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
I'm always surprised when people think "cover systems" are anything new since they have existed in shooters since, like, ever.
That's what I meant by "implicit cover systems".
And that's why I'm enraged about people retards fapping all over "like, totally new" cover systems.

That's how it works in real life, too, and nobody ever thought of needing any better cover systems than hiding behind solid objects.
That's why the only explicit part of a cover system that might be of any use is allowing the character to adopt proper positions behind the cover.

fyezall said:
How about a "degenerating" injury system, the more you get hit, the faster your health begins to drop. Critcal hits would remove a big chunk of your health. Medkits would act as bandages, and simply slow down or stop the "degeneration" all together.
There still needs be some way to restore lost health to facilitate prolonged gameplay.

Shannow

Waster of Time
fyezall said:
Jagged Alliance

spectre

Arcane
Your char behind solid object --> you have cover.

That's just the bare bones. You see, cover is one thing, but it should only be a framework that allows tatical depth. DraQ may bash "blind firing," but it's one of the elements that make it work. 'However, providing that the AI uses this as well, and it's not meant to make cheap shots, but to impede enemy movement.

Trick is, it's next to impossible to get done in a typical single player shooter, basically because you need more than one player to properly execute all the maneuvers - pinning, moving into cover, throwing grenades to flush out the enemy.

Thing is, unless the AI knows how to work the system, we get a shooting gallery.

DraQ

Arcane
spectre said:
DraQ may bash "blind firing,"
I don't. I bash being able to see what you're "blind firing" at. Besides, in games with mounted weapons it was often possible to fire blindly without any explicit cover system - I remember doing it in Half Life with mounted MG, I could barely see anything as I tried to hide behind the gun and sandbags, but I managed to mow down all the enemies with but a few scratches, the metal shields attached to the gun, however, were literally peppered with dents - it was awesome and that's how blind firing should work.

Trick is, it's next to impossible to get done in a typical single player shooter, basically because you need more than one player to properly execute all the maneuvers - pinning, moving into cover, throwing grenades to flush out the enemy.
At least stalker-level AI teammates and you're set.

MetalCraze

Arcane
spectre said:
That's just the bare bones. You see, cover is one thing, but it should only be a framework that allows tatical depth. DraQ may bash "blind firing," but it's one of the elements that make it work. 'However, providing that the AI uses this as well, and it's not meant to make cheap shots, but to impede enemy movement.
Show me a single game where cover system added any kind of tactical depth instead of just serving as a bad design excuse for console players standing in one place while playing a shooting range with enemies because it is impossible to play shooters with a gamepad properly.

Here is a nice video to prove my point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajz5IXkNy0U
Show me a more awful shooter gameplay - the guy just stands in one place firing at enemies. Now add cover system to it and VOILA the gameplay doesn't look as retarded now.

In other words cover system has as much tactical depth as just standing behind a wall in every single other shooter except in the current neverending line of console crap you are forced to hide - shoot N enemies - then move to the next specially placed place to play shooting range - shoot N enemies - repeat repeat repeat. Tactical depth my ass.

spectre

Arcane
The name cover system is deliberately(?) misleading. I prefer to keep it broad like that.

Yeah, I was talking a lot about shooting galleries at length, maybe you missed and just jumped on a single quote. Read moar then.

Also, you are aware that the argument is not limited to fps (hence it is in RPG design)?
If we stick to console crap for examples, sure, the only conclusion is that cover systems = shit.
But let's not pretend that it is the only place to look for good examples, just off the top of my head, Soldier of Fortune (which is not the best example, since it's mostly leaning around corners), Full Spectrum Warrior (which is technically not an fps... but it's not a stretch to imagine similar approach to cover in an fps).
Also, OFP and the likes.
Yeah, I gon't play a great deal of fps. But that's the point, they can learn a lot from strategy games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
spectre said:
Soldier of Fortune (which is not the best example, since it's mostly leaning around corners)

And leaning around corners is just the usual "hide behind stuff and you don't get shot" with an added lean function that can even be used when you're not behind cover.

Adding a lean function is great, but it doesn't qualify as a "cover system", because "cover system" usually means "press button to hide behind shit". But yeah leaning is good.

"Cover systems" for isometric games is something interesting, though. In those games you don't directly WASD control your character, and you see more of the map from that perspective. JA2 did it quite well I'd say, but again, there's just the logical "hide behind shit to not get shot" and no explicit cover system.

Conclusion? Implicit cover system is the way to go.
Or go play Call of Juarez 2. It actually had a rather good cover system.

spectre

Arcane
Mhm. It's a bit like that, now, it's been ages since I played SoF but, if I remember correctly, you still get shot when leaning, which is a step up. Don't remember if the AI leans too, but I remember there was an fps where it did both.

Yes, Ja2 would be a good example, though there are better ones out there, like Men of War, where you get ad hoc ocver - which is created when you blow stuff up. It also uses bushes for soft cover, something I've yet to see in an fps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom