Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

field of glory EMPIRES

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there no attempt to represent the Athenian Empire and Peloponnesian War, or am I missing something? Not really familiar with this game.
I suppose empires fall under this one:

Athens benefits from having eight special missions at its disposal. There is no penalty in not doing them, but if you succeed, you’ll get extra legacy points and a special reward. Also note that if you fail a mission and if it is still valid, you might get it again in the future. Examples: Build an Academy for your philosophers, Form the Delian League, Rival Macedonia, etc.

But as the game is supposed to be open, there would be little point in enforcing the peloponnesian war. However, if the mechanisms of rivalry between Athens and Sparta are well done, a large war between then would be inevitable at some point(and actrually, one of the arguments for the advocates of the Peoloponnesian War in both Athens and Sparta was that war between them was inevitable anyway, so they could as well initiate it).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Saw this, bought it immediately. Haven't played it because I'm busy with the brand new Battletech 3025 updates (incredibly good for people who enjoy tbs robot collection sims).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Beowulf

Arcane
Well, it seems that they indeed want to have a compatibility with FoG II base game.
Short steam thread
I played Athens for a couple of hours, and exported one battle to see how it looks, and my troops were exported as usual Hoplites variations (Armoured, Mercenary, Citizen).

A pity, I wish they allowed for integration with the DLC troops for those that have it.

Beowulf

Arcane
Looking now at the army list for the Rise of Persia DLC it seems that many new units cover even earlier period:

32 new units: Assyrian-style Heavy Chariots, Assyrian-style Cavalry, Veteran Assyrian-style Cavalry, Assyrian-style Guard Foot, Assyrian-style Heavy Foot, Assyrian-style Medium Foot, Raw Assyrian-style Medium Foot, Hebrew Foot, Gibborim, Hebrew Light Archers, Egyptian-style Heavy Chariots, Egyptian Spearmen, Egyptian Massed Archers, Egyptian Light Archers, Egyptian Light Javelinmen, Egyptian Irregular Foot, Elamite (Light) Chariots, (Near-Eastern) Archers, (Near-Eastern) Massed Archers, Mede Spearmen, Early Cavalry, Unarmoured Horse Archer Cavalry, Phoenician Spearmen, Lydian Hoplites, Sassanid Heavy Foot, (Sassanid) Massed Archers, Praetorian Guard, Praetorian Guard (Late), Greek Peltasts, Thracian Peltasts, Massed Thracian Peltasts, Thracian Spearmen.

So most of the units should be covered in the base game afterall (missing damn peltasts). It seems the exporting might need to be tweaked to achieved better results.
There seems to be a guide here, with the link to their wiki article about modding the game:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=99073

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It doesn't feel like this is their intended behaviour, but Slitherine games are always a wee bit jank and it can take them time to get things right.

Hoggypare

Savant
I think their priority was to deliver the full product with its originally promised features to the majority of the customers, without requiring them to purchase something else on top of their DLC
Of course, it would have been cool, if the owners of FoG2 DLC got new units, but that is twice the work, for dubious gain (and additionally a chore to balance).

I played some of the DLC.
The most notable features besides the whole new campaign are the impediments and regional decisions.
- impediments are the territorial features that hamper the growth of historically less desirable regions. They have certain rules for disposing of them, usually stationing suitably powerful army there, building a certain building or using certain regional decision. They are a great addition, since now there is more weight behind the decision where to and whether to expand. I feel in the original game the decadence could be counteracted pretty easily by high culture production, and expanding even into harsh deserts, wildlands or mountains was always beneficial in the end. Now, not so much.
- regional decisions are random actions that You can use to exchange resources for certain benefits. Those range from simple short term army buffs, estabilishing of the colonies, recruiting barbarian foederati, foraging for food, creating independent states, etc. A very good addition, since despite FoG:E many merits - its focus on economy meant that often You just skip turns for things to build etc. Now You have some more tools to use Your resources for inbetween.
Both of those are implemented in the old campaign as well.
The new 'classical era' campaign seems pretty good. Due to historical reasons, the military side of things may be less interesting than the fully developed hellenistic/roman periods, and there are less interesting country choices, but they are more unique this time due to special mechanics and missions. I played Athens so far, and the missions are inspired by the history, but they do not follow it that closely. Eg. I was tasked by the assembly to develop trading colonies, attack Sicily (around 100 years earlier than it happened) and subjugate Macedonia so far. The rewards are pretty substantial, You can get permanent nation perks for that.
Well, in short, this DLC is a great addition to the base game, and if You liked the base game, it is definetely worth it. It is nice that they try to solve the problems of their game by developing new substantial mechanics instead of adding new % modifiers and new colours of mana like... ekhm... the other company.

I hope that late antiquity DLC comes next

Beowulf

Arcane
Keep in mind, that the developer of FoG:E is AGEOD. The regional decisions system is something taken straight from their earlier titles. I really hope they can balance it out without it growing into bloated feature taking away from the game (bad example of that you can find in Wars of Napoleon, when the tried to pack too much into already poorly performing engine).
If they can make all of the decisions useful, limited in number and not overpowered at the same time(which seems to be the case so far) it will be a great addition, giving the game a little more needed depth.

Trading needs some rebalancing. I got Macedon to cede their capital region for some 500 Money and 200 Metal. And immediately after I got back the 500 Money, since it was my mission to acquire it. Regions weight in transactions need some recalculation, especially for capitals.

Anyway, since you played Athens Hoggypare , did you manage to restore Lydia? I got that region from Persia, but following the tooltip about using "liberate region" decision the region gets assigned to some random factions, like Rhodos and Lycia, but not Lydia itself.

Last edited:

Hoggypare

Savant
Keep in mind, that the developer of FoG:E is AGEOD. The regional decisions system is something taken straight from their earlier titles. I really hope they can balance it out without it growing into bloated feature taking away from the game (bad example of that you can find in Wars of Napoleon, when the tried to pack too much into already poorly performing engine).
If they can make all of the decisions useful, limited in number and not overpowered at the same time(which seems to be the case so far) it will be a great addition, giving the game a little more needed depth.

Trading needs some rebalancing. I got Macedon to cede their capital region for some 500 Money and 200 Metal. And immediately after I got back the 500 Money, since it was my mission to acquire it. Regions weight in transactions need some recalculation, especially for capitals.

Anyway, since you played Athens Hoggypare , did you manage to restore Lydia? I got that region from Persia, but following the tooltip about using "liberate region" decision the region gets assigned to some random factions, like Rhodos and Lycia, but not Lydia itself.
I was not aware. Only played a handful of AGEOD titles, but as You rightfully observed - even if that feature is recycled - I feel like it was implemented properly here.
I have only played Athens for 50 turns so far. In my game Croesus is actually employing his riverbucks pretty well, since Lydia is still standing strong and the conflict with Persia is more or less a stalemate so far. For those two reasons I did not arrive yet at the point when I could restory Lydia.
Actually, I got kind of bored for the moment of this game, since the Athenian roster is rather lackluster (especially I am not a fan of it when exported to FoG2 - not that it is badly done, just my personal preference), so I decided to check out Persia. This is a much more exciting option epecially if You like exporting battles. I don't feel like the lack of immortal fire expansion is a problem in any way. I noticed a good variety of Persian and Babylonian units so far, and from the couple turns I managed to play the campaign seems enjoyable on the strategic level as well (but obviously much more micro heavy that the hellenic counterparts).
As for the trades - agreed 100%. That said, region trading and AI insistence on getting every single regional unit it can get are the only really noticeable problems. It should be fixed at some point no doubt about it. I think the AI should flat out refuse to trade regions with 10 pops and above regardless of what You offer. But for the time being You can solve it by just not engaging in trading regions with the AI.

Beowulf

Arcane
Well, they're releasing FoG2 Medieval soon. Who knows, maybe they will go for that period next with Empires as well

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I am experiencing something that i have no idea if it is a bug or not but two regions of mine went to Persia on different turns even though we weren't at war.
It happened in different turns and when i lost the 2nd region i said fuck it i am going to declare wars on these guys. It seems its a bad idea to build the national hoplite units when you are playing Lydia and most of your eastern territories are hills.
A pity i don't have lighter units available right now.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
It seems its a bad idea to build the national hoplite units when you are playing Lydia and most of your eastern territories are hills
Heavy infantry work just fine in hills. It's only actual mountains (and swamps and forests) that they struggle with. Just build some citizen or mercenary hoplites to hold the mountains, with lots of archer support of course.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
I am experiencing something that i have no idea if it is a bug or not but two regions of mine went to Persia on different turns even though we weren't at war.
It's faction trait. Regions of Media, Babylon, Lydia and Elam(if I remember correctly) can randomly switch to Persia. It's called Achaemenid Legacy, or something like that.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
This game is so cool, its a shame it feels like it was abandoned by the devs.

I would really like to see a sequel with many additions. More complex mechanics, a bigger and more intricate map (that Greece is just sad and looks like something out of EU2), etc.
Yeah it's really fun, I've been playing it a lot recently. They actually released a patch just today and it's been available as beta for a while. It has some QoL improvements and some welcome changes to Bactria. Really fun nation to play. Rough start but at empire tier their army is perhaps the strongest in the world with cataphracts, strong archers and regional Indian elephants and steppe cav archers. You can conquer the Indians and then do a reverse Alexander.

More complex mechanics, like what? I'd like to have a more involved combat system besides the export option. And the diplomacy is still pretty wonky. But the internal management stuff is pretty much perfect. Just building up your provinces is so addictive and the culture/decadence mechanic is brilliant. I think the map is fine as since every region is significant and has it's own pop and buildings. Adding more and more will just inflate the micro. And also the amount of regions in an area represents the population density there.

razvedchiki

Erudite
the anti blob mechanic the game uses is novel and adds to the gameplay, you need to carefully judge whom and where and for how long to attack or else your nation will pile decadence and crumble.

Norfleet

It's faction trait. Regions of Media, Babylon, Lydia and Elam(if I remember correctly) can randomly switch to Persia. It's called Achaemenid Legacy, or something like that.
Randomly, as in, they just flip over without a fight, even if occupied by foreign-recruited garrisons?

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Y
Randomly, as in, they just flip over without a fight, even if occupied by foreign-recruited garrisons?
Yes to the first part although I can't remember now if I had troops on that region.

I can only report that they were happy and out of nowhere they become Persian the next turn and I get a notification that the Persians got my region through shenanigans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom