Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Oct 16, 2020.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://www.slitherine.com/game/field-of-glory-ii-medieval

Beta apply: https://www.slitherine.com/beta/field-of-glory-ii-medieval

• incline incline x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Pretty wide berth of settings from Western Europe all the way to the Levant/Mongols. I suck horribly at these Field of' games, not sure why, but I'll probably buy this anyway :lol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    For me it's a :d1p:

I've already spent 420h in FoGII. The multiplayer scene is still very active, with regular Slitherine run tournaments going on, not to mention forum tournaments and digital league.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Baptismbyfire Scholar

Baptismbyfire
    Does FoG support mods? If so, is the community active? This game sounds like a wet dream.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. razvedchiki Liturgist

razvedchiki
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer
    Finally I can whip some Muslim ass!

^ Top  
  7. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    It does support mods. There are some, like custom units and custom campaigns but no major overhaul, if that's what you're asking. And like I said above - the community is pretty active and you should be able to find games without any problems

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. razvedchiki Liturgist

razvedchiki
    the dlc is up to 1270 though so they will probably sell 1-2 more to cover the whole medieval period which is lame.
    technically they have already got into the medieval period with the last dlc that covered the 9th-11th centuries.

^ Top  
  9. Catacombs Cipher Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    OK. I'll bite.

• Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Beat me to it.

I kinda wish they'd just extended Field of Glory II more instead of making a standalone expansion, although maybe we'll get lucky and they'll make the army lists added in this available in ... FoG2 (the naming of this is bloody weird) if you own it and FoG2-Medieval.

edit: thank you Infinitron for making the op good?? or whatever happened there (thread merged?)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
  12. Latro Arcane

Latro
    What war games do you consider deep? Not saying this as a challenge, I’ve seen your posts and you know your stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Agesilaus Antiquity Studio Patron Developer

Agesilaus
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    I don't understand what this is supposed to be. Have they fundamentally changed FoG2 in some way, or is this literally just a regular DLC but you can play it as a stand alone product? Or, worst of both worlds, you can only play it stand-alone and it only has the content of a regular dlc pack?

Doesn't matter too much to me, I can't get FoG2 to install anymore. Steam just says "DISK WRITE ERROR", even though it has no issue installing or playing literally every other game in the library.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. downwardspiral Literate

downwardspiral
    For wargame as a whole the rule is on the easier side with some realism logic behind it.
    For classical era pitched tactical battle which is not operation or strategy level on computer FOG can already been seen as the deep one, I think that is the sad reality of computer pre-firearm tactical wargame.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    For me a deep wargame would be something like the AGEOD games, or for "battles" something like Armored Brigades, or Wargame Red Dragon - or Flashpoint Campaigns : Red Storm if you want turn by turn.

But thinking about it you are right, the more complex systems I can think of are at least early modern.
    There are no better or even significantely more complex ancient or medieval battle simulators out there. The only more "complex" ones I can think of are 1242:Real Warfare and XIII Century, which while maybe a bit deeper in terms of system (and real time) are also pretty terrible games.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    I want to get into 'Alea Jacta Est' (holy f that J triggers me), but oh boy is it dense. I'm curious if they'rll release anything for this to also have cause to integrate with FoG: Empires.

^ Top  
  17. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    Alea Jacta Est is following the traditional way of transliterating Latin.

ALEAIACTAEST or at best ALEA·IACTA·EST would have been a terrible name :)

I had written two "AAR for Beginners" for AGEOD games, it might help you. One in particular was for AJE, check the beginners's corners in the summary.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...he-barbarian-an-aje-pbem-beginner-aar.632034/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    I think the fog2 games/DLC works reasonably well at giving "expected realistic historical" results. I'm glad they are tackling medieval warfare(because there are almost no other wargame series that does), but it is much more about raids and sieges then large pitched battles.
    I suppose skirmishes would work just as well in the engine(using only smaller units,) but do they plan to cover sieges and castle assaults at all?

^ Top  
  19. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Eh, it's a pretty famous phrase, and I've never eveeeeeeeer seen it with a J before. :P

Tyvm :3 very interested in that, nantucket, and several others. I find AARs are kinda a dead art these days so it's cool to see someone carrying on the torch (and with such a diversity too! ^^).

^ Top  
  20. razvedchiki Liturgist

razvedchiki
    it seems they will probably cover some sort of siege warfare since there was a wall with crossbowmen firing in the stream (period artwork).

^ Top  
  21. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    My apologies, I meant it is the traditional way to transliterate Latin ... in French. And the team is French indeed.
    Example :
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alea_jacta_est

My Nantucket AAR is probably my worst. On RPGCodex, I would say the Succession AAR of Rule the Waves was my best, and then either Call of War or Rome & Carthage. On Paradox, the best one would be this one :

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/wars-in-america-a-how-to-aar.545321/

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    It probably will be a new base game for which they'll sell new DLC, they can go to up to start of the Italian wars, which is covered in Pike & Shot.

Have you checked if your antivirus does give a false positive?

^ Top  
  23. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    true, hard to think of any 'deep' wargames that are on the computer other than AGEOD which to me have an taxing UI/interface design. If you consider pike/musket 'middle ages' there are some, but they are not really middle ages.

^ Top  
  24. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser

What do you use to draw the lines and what not for your screenshots? I like the looping arrows and formation stints.

^ Top  
  25. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal
    Faststone capture. For simple editing it is by far the best tool. Between my first AAR and now, I learned a lot too, for instance putting shadows under arrows and a line on its border.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.