Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Field of Honor - Napoleonic battle sim with Mount & Blade style combat

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This is one of the many games I bought during this Steam sale, and it's quite the pleasant surprise.

It's giga janky because it's made by a solo developer, especially AI behavior is quite erratic, but there's great potential here and it's already a lot of fun to play.

There's a basic morale system, soldiers can break and run after sustaining heavy damage. The ballistic model is pretty decent, accuracy feels about right for muskets, every bullet is simulated, there's no hitscans. Cannons are super satisfying as cannonballs can bounce across the ground and tear through entire lines of men. Cavalry charges can be devastating because it takes the soldier AI (both yours and the enemy's) a while to decide to switch to melee, so you can mow down half a squad before they even defend themselves lmao.

What I love most are the little details. Formations have fifers and drummers, who play a march when the unit moves. I love playing Russians because they play the Preobrazhensky march, one of my favorite fife & drum tunes. When the drummer and fifer are killed, there's no more music when the unit marches.

Right now it's on sale and costs less than 4 bucks. Totally worth it.

20240701163321-1.jpg

20240701163450-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom