Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Fights in Tight Spaces - card-based tactical melee combat

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.fightsintightspaces.com

https://af.gog.com/game/fights_in_tight_spaces?as=1649904300

CARD-BASED TACTICAL
FIGHTING

Build your deck, control the space and use the environment to defeat your enemies. With an evolving roster of abilities, you must train new cards, upgrade existing ones, and find the perfect combinations to defeat your opponents and bring down criminal organisations across the world.

Fights in Tight Spaces is a single player game, arriving in Q3 2020.

Screenshot.webp

ABOUT THE GAME
37a98c_47af8797da454316b4d351f689cc535f%7Emv2.gif

In an era where espionage is handled largely by data-packets being pored over by teams of analysts, Section Eleven’s approach is more hands-on, dealing with the sorts of criminal organisations who live and operate outside the realms of electronic communication. When the rest of the intelligence services have failed, they call Section Eleven.

As a Section Eleven agent it is your job to find direct solutions to emerging threats… largely by smashing people’s faces into things.

The game blends deck-building, turn-based tactics, and thrilling animated fight sequences in classic action-movie settings. Learn to balance your hand, momentum, and positioning to overcome the odds to defeat your adversaries.

Pick from over 150 cards as you build a deck to suit your play style and your opponents’. Encounter random events, acquire enhancements (or injuries), and make critical choices about how best to upgrade your agent for the fights ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This actually looks really promising. Love the fact they use ragdolls.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Nice find, looks very fun. Hope it's not too easy or repetitive, I'm wishlisting for when it's out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...wonderfully-reimagines-action-movie-showdowns

Fights in Tight Spaces wonderfully reimagines action movie showdowns
Bourne again.

Have you ever seen those Sherlock Holmes films by Guy Ritchie, the ones with Robert Downey Jr in? Oh they're not that bad, come on. Guy Ritchie's Holmes has this ability to plan out fights before they happen. He imagines all the blows he's going to land, mentally weighing up their pros and cons, then chooses the best option, performing it in a blur of precise strikes. He barely raises a sweat as his systematically destroyed opponent crumples in a heap on the floor. It's very cool.

Fights in Tight Spaces reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. Mind you, it also reminds me of Neo, and of Jason Bourne and James Bond and John Wick and even Jackie Chan (I sense a theme here) - all of these very neat, very controlled, close-quarters fighters, who look like they're in trouble but it's really the enemies who are. It's about being the surrounded action hero who's about to show everyone why they're the action hero.

Given that, Fights in Tight Spaces probably doesn't sound like a turn-based game. But this is where the magic comes from. This is what allows you the Holmes-time to plan out what you're going to do. You're presented with a puzzle, a huddle of assailants around you, and you have to work out how to get out of their paths while simultaneously messing them up.

What you can do depends on the cards in your hand. Because on top of everything else, it's also a deck-building game like Slay the Spire. You begin with a thin, default deck of cards and then add to it, and hone it, as you go along, choosing from rewards after battles and upgrading and removing cards at relevant places along the way. Cards, then, represent everything you can do - even move. You cannot move around the tight fighting space without a relevant card allowing it. And this is a big thing, because movement in Fights is everything.

jpg

That is a very tight space! Also, note my one point of health. I think I won this encounter despite it! Impressive, aren't I?

You can win by going toe-to-toe with enemies, and applying block cards and counter-attacks to cope with their damage, but it's a bit risky. Also, it's ugly. It goes against the spirit of the game. This is a game about pirouetting through danger, navigating a (mostly) melee minefield, while wrong-footing enemies and leaving them exposed to your attack. Or, even better, each other's attacks.

And honestly, you'll need all the help you can get. Fights in Tight Spaces is hard. I've only been playing a couple of hours, granted, but I haven't been able to clear even one of the missions, because I've been sloppy and not thoroughly considered what each enemy is going to do turn-by-turn, and landed myself in trouble.

Think of missions, incidentally, as Acts in Slay the Spire: a multi-route flow-chart of places to stop on your way to a boss. There are battles in various tight spaces - alleyways, kitchens, tattoo parlours - to choose from, as well as text-based scenarios, places to heal, and places to upgrade your cards.
The toughness only makes me want to try again, though, and when things go right, it feels badass, as though your enemies never stood a chance. And you can bask in your victory a bit afterwards, replaying the encounter from a zoomed-in cinematic camera angle. You can see me doing this in the video embedded here.

In other words, I'm a fan. Fights in Tight Spaces has found a way to distil my favourite part of action films while finding a strong new angle for the deck-building genre I'm fond of. It's not quite finished - it's in the Xbox Game Preview program at the moment, so bear that in mind, but there's a two-hour free trial for a taste. Give it a try!

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Played the first mission all the way through. There's an interesting game somewhere down there, but it's lost amidst a very poor presentation. I'm no graphic whore, but it's the small details that add up to make it a very bland experience: Music is soporific, this kinda game needs something to keep you pumped and it's failing to achieve that. Sound design is rather poor as well, the hits lack that hifi punch and crunch that makes you go "oooof" whenever you hear a nose cracking. The minimalist approach to the graphics is milquetoast and the animations are slow and boring. On top of that, the combat simply isn't that interesting, most of the time you end up doing the same stuff (making shooty guys kill the others and pushing the tanks outside the ring for an instakill) or passing your turn because you got dealt a shit hand.

Might give it another spin further into its development, but right now is a hard meh.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anybody know if they plan to add a replay feature that shows in real-time how the fight went down? Seems like an obvious addition.

sser

Arcane
Developer
This game is out for Early Access soon. Watching a stream and it looks great. Absolutely fantastic idea for a card game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

OUT TODAY (Feb 24th @ 10AM PST/ 6PM GMT / 7PM CET) in Early Access on Steam, GoG and the Epic Game Store! Also currently available on Xbox Series X | S in Game Preview.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Played the first mission all the way through. There's an interesting game somewhere down there, but it's lost amidst a very poor presentation. I'm no graphic whore, but it's the small details that add up to make it a very bland experience: Music is soporific, this kinda game needs something to keep you pumped and it's failing to achieve that

This, i watched 20 seconds of the trailer and the music loop is just terrible, with the junky "hipsters hook" graphic style, it needs a fantastic OST and we're far from it.

Well, i hate card games anyway, so this and that, i'm not touching it.

Lemming42

Arcane
This shit is absolutely ace. Fun as fuck, manages to do exactly what it sets out to do, which is replicate the same addictive gameplay loop of FTL and Slay The Spire.

Counter-attack deck is the best by far, just devolves into complete pandemonium every fucking time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom