Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final exodus of BioWare leadership - Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah resign

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I, for one, will welcome the day when this accursed studio will finally beat the dust. Not a single good game in their catalog.

Baldur's Gate 1&2 were alright, KOTOR too in its own, streamlined way. Even Dragon Age: Origins had its merits. After that everything went downhill, but we already know the story. Same thing happened to Origin Systems.
Everything up till mass effect 2,including,was good,DAI was muh but fine for what it did. I am tired of whiny old faggots that haven't played a game in 20 year bitching about becoming irrelevant.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I kinda assumed they'd rock out a few more Mass Effect Andromedas/DA:Is to keep the studio rolling along for a bit, but they've skipped all that and gone straight to Westwooding it seems.

Narax

Educated
Good riddance, nothing of value was lost. I hope the entire studio shuts down next to put an end to this sjw cuckfest.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Baldur's Gate 1&2 were alright, KOTOR too in its own, streamlined way. Even Dragon Age: Origins had its merits. After that everything went downhill, but we already know the story. Same thing happened to Origin Systems.

Imo after they made the jump to 3d, the potential of the franchises was there but the execution was just never up to their old standards. Wasted potential is 3d Bioware's middle name.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All ME and DE games (except the first ones) were already bullshit, that's what you dont understand

Sigh... I'm talking about the mainstream reaction. ME2 is usually high up on the greatest games of all time lists, and Dragon Age Inquisition sold extremely well. These games are not failures, whether Codexers hate them or not. More to the point, you don't take creative lead at a studio, knowing what you're working on, and then abandon it along with multiple other creative leads, all at the same time, for no reason. There's a reason beyond "lol these series are shit."

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Time for Chris Avellone, the praised veteran writer to step up.

Err, I mean...

Time for Christobal Avalonio, a new and upcoming writer to enter the stage.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
"Sweet Mother of Zeus?"

Did this fascist know Zeus was a chad that liked to rape mortal wamen while they slept with the divine goose? This is a mortal crime, it is time to cancel him.

Derringer

Prophet
Usually EA would kill a studio after five years of pumping money into a black hole. Bioware still isn't fucking dead yet. I don't think they would bother since Microshaft bought up Bethesda and Obsidian, probably the last thing on their minds actually, they're going to keep pumping money into them until they can't.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oldie but goldie. Not hard to predict, innit?
upload_2020-12-4_20-52-24.png

In this case, it's more of a mercy kill.

Frozen

Arcane
Ah BioWare...its like that first girl you fall for not knowing she was a stinking whore like her mother and of course she cucks you.

Then decades later you see her old and fat with her trailer city hubby fighting over toilet paper rolls in Walmart.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This news is only important in the context of the question - does this make Dragon Age 4 more shit or less shit than it would have been with these two in the project?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Usually EA would kill a studio after five years of pumping money into a black hole. Bioware still isn't fucking dead yet. I don't think they would bother since Microshaft bought up Bethesda and Obsidian, probably the last thing on their minds actually, they're going to keep pumping money into them until they can't.

It's that whole GaaS economy with an endless stream of trinkets to purchase that keep these many EA studios afloat. Or rather zombified, if you will.

Cross

Arcane
Dragon Age Inquisition sold extremely well.
It sold so well that EA refused to release hard sales numbers. It only sold 'extremely well' compared to previous Dragon Age games, meaning it likely only sold a few million copies. In a world where Skyrim and The Witcher 3 can sell 30+ million copies while costing less to produce, do you think EA is going to be satisfied with that?

The only reason why they're still keeping Bioware alive is the same reason for their token attempt at making single-player games like Jedi: Fallen Order: the massive backlash (and possible legal consequences) they received for pushing microtransactions and lootboxes so heavily.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragon Age Inquisition sold extremely well.
It sold so well that EA refused to release hard sales numbers. It only sold 'extremely well' compared to previous Dragon Age games, meaning it likely only sold a few million copies. In a world where Skyrim and The Witcher 3 can sell 30+ million copies while costing less to produce, do you think EA is going to be satisfied with that?

The only reason why they're still keeping Bioware alive is the same reason for their token attempt at making single-player games like Jedi: Fallen Order: the massive backlash (and possible legal consequences) they received for pushing microtransactions and lootboxes so heavily.
Dragon Age Inquisition was like a fart in a conference room - it was released, and then everyone pretended nothing has happened.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's a good point that EA surely bought Bioware hoping to turn them into a massive Bethesda style success and that didn't happen. I remember Bioware people being pretty blunt about the pressure to compete with Skyrim when they made Inquisition. So maybe you're right to classify it as a failure in that sense. However it also supposedly sold better than any previous Bioware game, so I guess the crux of my point is that it wasn't a decline for the studio by any means, as far as mainstream success. Though it was certainly decline gameplay wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom