Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The return of the awesum button. Great.

Athelas

Arcane
Tabata's also in pursuit of a Final Fantasy that's not as overwhelming as its predecessors, and one that can be enjoyed by a broader audience.
I don't exactly recall previous Final Fantasies being renown for their difficulty (quite the opposite).

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Wait, wait, wait...
If I read that article right, then does it mean that new final fantasy game is about road trip + fighting monsters?
Could be quite alright, if done well...At laest when you got couple of jack daniels while playing the game.
:hmmm:

Tehdagah

Arcane
SelfassuredShinyIlsamochadegu.gif

"O is held down for Attack Chain"

Because mashing the button would make the combat more complex.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can still tap buttons for quick attacks. The idea behind this is still terrible.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

"I'm starving!"
"My sides are sore."
"Could do with a bath."

Shut the fuck up. You're getting to go on a road trip in a badass car, stopping along the way to murder the fuck out of local wildlife. There's nothing more awesome you could be doing, and you're still going to complain?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, if the game is just shallowly driving around breath-taking scenery while killing big monsters and listening to buddies bullshit it might actually be a winner. A casual combat system would go really well with that. Wouldn't be much of a game, of course, but look at FF13: that was terrible. If they embraced their strength: graphics, and made the graphics the game, added with exploration, and got rid of their retarded attempts at storytelling there might actually be some magic in it.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Here is an interesting question. At what point did the FF series start to die? And at which point could it be agreed upon that it died outright?

Some say that it was everything after FF6 that was a decline with the death at FF10 or X-2. While others say that it started after FF7 but with 9 and 12 offering a brief pulse between flatlines.

At what point did SE and the final fantasy series really lose it's "magic"?

Delterius

Arcane
Here is an interesting question. At what point did the FF series start to die? And at which point could it be agreed upon that it died outright?

Some say that it was everything after FF6 that was a decline with the death at FF10 or X-2. While others say that it started after FF7 but with 9 and 12 offering a brief pulse between flatlines.

At what point did SE and the final fantasy series really lose it's "magic"?
There are as many theories as there are final fantasies. Common denominator being 'The one that came after my favorite one'.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well yeah, genius, clearly your favourite of the series is not going to be one of the ones during the decline, so the decline is going to start after whichever one you liked the most.

Personally I'd peg 8 as the culprit. They botched the fight mechanics in so many ways it's absurd. Level scaling, limit breaks you can spam by cycling characters, GF spamming to sleep through the whole game, total lack of equipment... shit was BAD.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I for one applaud 8 for trying something radically different. Failing royally, of course, but trying something different (and quite complex).

Certainly better than that horrible materia system I hated. (kidding, they're both awful and grindy. either you grind AP or you grind draw or triple triad)

Diablo169

Arcane
FF9 was really the last great Final Fantasy. It was a massive step up from 7 and 8 and harkened back to the earlier games characters and art styles. If Square had continued in this fashion they would still be making the premier JRPG. Instead they got a hard on for MMO's and let that shit bleed into their single player games.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
FF9 was an okay game. Not great by any means, but a decent time waster. I couldn't see anything that came after that as even time wasters since the newer FF entered the "insufferable" category (FFX seemed to have a decent char system with the grid, but I just couldn't stomach a game with such characters, story and lack of even illusion of freedom, being even more linear than the standard FF and being the precursor to FF13's straight line maps). FF15 doesn't seem like it could bring more life into the series, not with that awesome button attitude. I don't expect an advanced/challenging combat system from the FF series but outright falling into the awesum button genre is pushing it.
That series has never achieved greatness but now it's fallen into the abyss of trash that should be forgotten and never be mentioned again. The combat might not have been the highlight of this series, but to turn it into a button masher looks like desecration to me. Desecrating the grave of said series.

Drakron

Arcane
Here is an interesting question. At what point did the FF series start to die?

Depends on who you ask, Nintendofags will argue that it ended at 6 because 7 was PlayStation ...

And at which point could it be agreed upon that it died outright?

Oh it was FF XIII no doubt, it was because Square simply gone with style over everything else with this being nothing but Kingdom Final Hearts Fantasy, done by a hipster that could even make FF XIII Vs ... this is simply showing the rampart nepotism that exists within Square and its now only a question of what will go first, Square or their internal studios.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have like every third game in the series the most. That would mean III, VI, IX and XII. We will see if XV ends up being a game I like. I did enjoy playing the beta of XIV ARR but I simply don't have the time to play any MMO. While not WOWAMAZEBALLZ it shat all over the XIII games.

What I would like to see is someone doing a Final Fantasy Tactics 2 that has nothing to do with the Advance series. (I'd take Final Fantasy tactics Advance out of desperation.)

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Final Fantasy games declined the moment i grow up, but i'm still giving FF13 a chance :troll:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
FFX had great GFX improvement, and the combat system was fast and efficient. The grid was also nice stuff.
FF XII had great GFX, and they finally get rid of arena battles. (Which coincidentally meant battles were less flashy.)
Also free world was nice.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Final Fantasy 9 is a RPG with random encounters plagued with terrible loading times. Can you imagine how fun a game like this is?

You can still tap buttons for quick attacks. The idea behind this is still terrible.
Why? You hold the button instead of mashing it. It's simply less exausthing.

(...) Some say that it was everything after FF6 that was a decline with the death at FF10 or X-2. While others say that it started after FF7 but with 9 and 12 offering a brief pulse between flatlines. (...)
:mob:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well yeah, genius, clearly your favourite of the series is not going to be one of the ones during the decline, so the decline is going to start after whichever one you liked the most.
Or the series has ups and downs?

Final Fantasy occupies a bunch of weird knots in gaming/RPG culture-history that makes it nearly impossible to build a consensus over which aspects of it represent decline and incline (its constantly transforming and fans are always coming in and out at different times -- its really several different series and genres muddled together over 15 games). It's a byproduct of the fact it always aimed for average (attracting a large audience with a large range of tastes) but excelled enough at certain aspects of RPGs enough that core fans played it as well (attracting a smaller but still sizable audience with an even larger range of tastes).

For example, FF7's transition to Cyberpunk (suits, mega corporations) and blocky polygon graphics from the beautiful top-down sprites of the SNES era (plus the inflation of the world with j-pop) a sudden and nearly insurmountable decline from what I loved most about the series, although I can still recognize that most other aspects of the mechanics and dramatic structure of the game lived up to the game design heights of the series (whereas FF8 did not).

FF12 attempted to revive what I liked, but unfortunately the creative director got blocked on key decisions regarding who would be the protagonist (Basch, not Vaan) and had to bow to the pressures of MMO combat to perpetuate Final Fantasy's historical mass market appeal. The result was a last boss battle rage quit.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
FF began to die when they decided to focus on graphics, cutscenes and their weird anime crap instead of actual gameplay, story and fun. Instead they want to make animated dramas and weird looking character that no one can relate to because not everyone is Japanese.

f0a.png

Yeah they aren't trying to overcompensate with their weird character designs at all.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'd say it's either 8 or 10. 7 is what started the decline, but it was still a decent game. 8 was really bad, but 9 made up for it. 10 is when the series really went full retard.
Seymour_Guado.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom