Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy Type-0: HD - Available for Pre-order on Steam

Duraframe300

Arcane
On Vita, XBONE and PS4.

I have since read a plot synopsis though and realized that the game isn't for me/super pretentious. As such I have cooled off on the game.

I'm happy for everyone else though who finally gets to play it.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On Vita, XBONE and PS4.

I have since read a plot synopsis though and realized that the game isn't for me/super pretentious. As such I have cooled off on the game.

I'm happy for everyone else though who finally gets to play it.
:yeah::takemymoney:
Vita release!!!!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Like I wrote in the Translations thread, thank god Sky was smart enough to release his fan translation yesterday. Otherwise he'd be sure to get a C&D letter from Squeenix.

Plus, now everyone can play the game without having to buy any of these new consoles.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it just getting new/upscaled graphics or are they adding new content to it?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyway, I'm playing this and it's certainly... interesting. The high school setting, the 12 or so character roster, the occasional large-scale battle (had one so far, dunno if there are more later), the side- and submissions, etc. The game teases a lot of optional content and secrets already, too, and the limited time you have in-between missions is the kind of design I enjoy. This game definitely feels more "risky" than the mainstream FF titles.

I'm still at the beginning (only a few missions done so far), but I keep thinking how cool it'd be if you could switch characters mid-battle, Labyrinth of Touhou-style, or at least mid-mission. That would certainly allow for more experimentation. As things stand, the combat system feels a bit too limited, but maybe I'm just not aware of its full potential yet.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can do stuff you missed on a NG+. Or, you are expected to miss stuff on your first run.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I dislike how many of the optional requests are multiplayer focused or how most of the requests are a form of 'beat up X of Y'. I haven't seen anything as awful about this as Dragon Quest IX, but it's there.

Also it's pretty strange how they balanced S-rank on missions so you 'have' to play with a solo souped up 1-hit kill new game+ character to have a chance and you have to go out of you way to find respawn points to collect enough 'souls' to make it work.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, S-rank seems weird. I watched some FFXIII videos on youtube and it wasn't anywhere near as bad there.

I dislike how many of the optional requests are multiplayer focused (or how most of the requests are a form of 'beat up X of Y'. I haven't seen anything as awful about this as Dragon Quest IX, but it's there.

The worst thing about requests is that you can only accept one at a time. Like, what the fuck?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah, that's artificial difficulty. And it isn't even 'can't accept new without having fulfilled the requests' it is 'can't accept without having returned to the quest giver'. The first could have been used to make the scheduling problem more interesting (academy requests and 'world' requests at the same time). What they actually went with reduces to: do every thing you can in the academy, those you can't do enough until there is only 6 hours, then do a final round of the 'world' requests. Actually the scheduling is more complicated because the game introduces optional 12 hours missions later on, and some requests are tied to the regions those send you to (you're barred otherwise), but not too different.

Since there are 14 hobos in the party doing nothing much most of the time, i would like to send some of them to do requests, FFT style. They could be unavailable for 6 hours, fail or succeed spectacularly due to personality quirks, whatever, more mechanics. Lost opportunity there.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NG+ purposes. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but that is how it is (unfortunately).

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah, so that translation has some drama behind it.

The guy in charge of the team went behind the backs of his team members (who wanted to wait/still improve it) and released the translation.

Also Square was actually previously in negotiation with the group about the translation to reach a mutually benefitial solution. Which apparently went nowhere, though we have no idea who fucked that up.

As such both team members and other people are pissed at the guy for making himself sound like a martyr when he took the translation down.

Edit: This is from a Jason Schreier Kotaku Article and the *went behind back of the team* thing was confirmed on a forum by a team member.

Duraframe300

Arcane
a mutually benefitial solution.

as mutually beneficial as crimson echoes was, no doubt.

?

There were talks on crimson echoes?

Also I wouldn't call that the important thing of that info. That Sky guy sounds selfish enough to have actually blown a better solution. Unlike the Crimson Echo guys btw.

What better solution?

For example the translation being used for the remake. Or an official psn version for the psp version.or...
It doesn't sound like there weren't ideas. Its a really good translation with additional content (weapon descriptions, names for rooms hand instead of just cave 1,2 and so on) after all.

Fun fact: That Sky dude wanted to throw out the translation in an unpolished/edited state back in february because he thought it was *good enough* despite everyone on the team disagreeing and still wanting to improve it. Basically he seems to have been in it for the recognition more than anything.

The team member that confirmed the story to me (and told me about the additional content) said it has been a mess for a while, though he is grateful for the experience.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Well, I for one am really glad he released it, because Squeenix would've probably just sat on it. Fuck Squeenix. Now I can play the game, at least.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Square Enix had their own translation ready two years ago but never released the damn thing.. They didn't need the fan translation.

Optimal situation would have been:
PS4/XBONE: FFT0 HD
PSP/VITA: FFT0

Either this is a terrible idea or it makes too much sense.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

?

Also I wouldn't call that the important thing of that info. That Sky guy sounds selfish enough to have actually blown a better solution. Unlike the Crimson Echo guys btw.

What better solution?

For example the translation being used for the remake. Or an official psn version for the psp version.or...
It doesn't sound like there weren't ideas. Its a really good translation with additional content (weapon descriptions, names for rooms hand instead of just cave 1,2 and so on) after all.

Fun fact: That Sky dude wanted to throw out the translation in an unpolished/edited state back in february because he thought it was *good enough* despite everyone on the team disagreeing and still wanting to improve it. Basically he seems to have been in it for the recognition more than anything.

The team member that confirmed the story to me (and told me about the additional content) said it has been a mess for a while, though he is grateful for the experience.

Would the fan translation have really been used in the "remake" (as remade as FFX HD was, no doubt)? Squeenix already had that done in late 2011 including English voice acting.

Would the PSN release really have been for PSP? The official announcement was PS4/XB1 only.
Someone screwed up. Initial announcement said PlayStation Vita.

Not that any of this matters for me, since I imported the game and applied the patch.

Duraframe300

Arcane

?

What better solution?

Would the fan translation have really been used in the "remake" (as remade as FFX HD was, no doubt)? Squeenix already had that done in late 2011 including English voice acting.

Would the PSN release really have been for PSP? The official announcement was PS4/XB1 only.

Yeah, but that announcement happened after.

So, it could easily have been a reaction to the patch release itself.

Point is: Square Enix was in actual talks with the group. They didn't just send a C&D Letter. They wouldn't have paid for the costs there if they didn't have to talk something.

So, its a tad harder to say who the bad guy is here. The only thing I'm saying is that the Sky guy isn't exactly the angel he portrays himself as.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Of course, it could also just have been Square telling them that they were finally planning to bring Type-0 over, so there wasn't a patch needed. Really about the talks itself we know nothing. Just that its hard to point fingers.

Anyway, about that stuff I said before with added content. By the guy who confirmed Schreier.

Thanks. I'm not really bummed about it being taken down. It was all a mess to me well before this legal stuff.

I would say it sucks that people won't get to play our translation, but with an official translation on the way (at some point) it's hard to be too broken up about it.

Overall it was a great experience. I learned a ton about several aspects of game development, translation, editing, managing, and a lot more.

But there are at least two things that we added to the game that weren't there in the first place that I'm a little sad will probably not be seen by most: 1) weapon descriptions and 2) room names (think Vagrant Story/FFXII) for most of the side missions.

The weapons by default just have a name and stats. It's the same for consumables and accessories. Because some people on the team had some extra time and we often were unable to work on the same files at the same time, we decided to add short descriptions to the weapons. I'm talking like less than 50 characters each. That was a lot of fun.

Most of the areas/rooms in the game are uniquely named, but a lot of the side missions have weak names like Cave 1, Cave 2, Cave 3, etc. There was one side mission that had something like 13 caves and 19 fields. It was kind of silly. So a few of us renamed the rooms as we tested the missions. We had a good time coming up with room names that tried to tell a story or at least reflect what was going on, a lot like the names in Vagrant Story and FFXII. I can't pretend that we were anywhere near the level of those games, but we tried.

Duraframe300

Arcane
it sucks that people won't get to play our translation

Wha? I'm playing it right now. Or does he mean there is more than what was released in June?

The translation released wasn't finished / on the level of quality the team wanted to get it. As I said nobody on the team even wanted it released at the point in time.

But I think he means more that the whole situation now ended with a C&D.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Here btw to elaborate. Skype conversation among the team the day before

[6/7/2014 12:50:13 PM] Adam: Sky just tweeted for everyone to expect a release today or tomorrow though

[6/7/2014 1:21:24 PM] Core: Sky, the rest of the team agreed to wait until after E3. Why are you tweeting about releasing the patch?

[6/7/2014 2:46:14 PM] Merkabah: Yeah, that's extremely not cool

[6/7/2014 2:46:38 PM] Merkabah: kind of feel like you're just using all of our hard work to try to stick it to SE

[6/7/2014 2:49:35 PM] Merkabah: I figured this was a team effort, especially since I've been putting in 12-hour days for the last two weeks that maybe my opinion would have some sort of bearing on how all of my work ends up being used

[6/7/2014 3:09:05 PM] Hakurou (TJ): well this is interesting

Duraframe300

Arcane
it sucks that people won't get to play our translation

Wha? I'm playing it right now. Or does he mean there is more than what was released in June?

The translation released wasn't finished / on the level of quality the team wanted to get it. As I said nobody on the team even wanted it released at the point in time.

But I think he means more that the whole situation now ended with a C&D.

How unfinished is it?

Was there a plausible scenario that didn't end with a C&D?

As I said apparently. Otherwise there wouldn't have been talks in the first place. As for how unfinished it is, I dunno I didn't work on it.

Look, this isn't some made-up shit. I know the guy who confirmed the story and who I have quoted. He's legit. It's 100% true fact that the sky dude went behind the back of the other people working on the translation.

Which is a really shitty thing to do in any case.

I know, evil publisher BWAAHAW. That doesn't make that guy any less of a dick though and the situation any less clear.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's unclear whether or not "talks" were made in good faith, since there's an NDA and your source did not elaborate. Without evidence either way, we can look to past behavior: Crimson Echoes.

I still don't remember talks regarding Crimson Echoes. Wasn't that a straight up C&D? (I might as well be wrong here)

Thats still not my point, though. My argument was about that Sky dude himself. I have no idea what actually happened in these talks after all.

If he was trustworthy, ok. SQE at fault. 100%.

Problem is, he isn't (Rather he turned out to be an attention whore who most likely would have blown it either way. (Also unlike the Crimson Echoes guys who were pretty decent IIRC)). Which makes the whole situation unclear in the first place.

And thats really the only thing we know.

Edit: (I just hope SE doesn't use the whole situation as an argument that you can't have a discussion with fanworks)

Duraframe300

Arcane
As far as I am concerned, he made the right decision for the fans. Attention whoring or not, waiting for August to get everything perfect, would've likely resulted in a worse outcome.

And thats where I strongly disagree on.

Not in small part because he made that decision by fucking over people who contributed substantial work to that translation. If it went according to him we would have gotten a worse translation months earlier. So I cant even agree on the fans argument.

But opinions differ. So lets stop here.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Gotta love that stealth edit. "Fuck the fans" indeed!

Oh yes.

Fuck the fans. I say fuck the fans to a lot of things. Because thats not what matters there. And in other cases fans can be really stupid. Half the forums here is about ranting about them after all. Calling them whores etc.

Welcome to the codex.

I just edited it because not even the fan thing is true imo on second thought.

And if you want to know why we can ask some translators on these very forums how great it would be if their team members fucked them over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom