Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Deleted member 7219

That sword looks absolutely ridiculous.

Tehdagah

Arcane
At least they are going to be faithful to the original, going at 15fps during battles.
Yeah, the transition between the cinematic and gameplay was quite underwhelming.

Next-gen hardware :happytrollboy:

Also: Nomura.

Looks like spazzy Crisis Core combat which was a complete mess and popamole. Are people actually happy about the change? The fuck. I'd take FF7's uninspired system any day over that PSPified Mountain Dew, button-mashy garbage.
To be fair FF7 was a pretty easy game.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Am I too late to tell you guys not to buy this game because it has Cloud's sword in it

Melcar

Arcane
Fuck yes, FFVII. But that combat, fuck seriously. I just want a Cyberpunk Midgar please. Can't wait till' they show off the WEAPONs.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Everything looks and sounds great except the combat.

If only they stayed TB..... but they have to always fuck one thing, ALWAYS. It's like the unwritten rule of decline that we cannot have good things.

I'm silently hoping that they are showing action combat for marketing and in options there will be option for turn based combat. Just like in old FF7 where you could set combat speed and other combat related options.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also looks like the LIMIT bar now fills up when you attack enemies and not only when you take damage :?

Perkel

Arcane
Are you retarded ? FFVII had shit combat regardless if this was TB or not.

Also from new interview Tabata says it won't be full action based system. This will be ARPG where you will have skills, spells, materia equipment and other stuff.

This will be something like Hingdom Hearths combat mixed with more progression mechanics, equipment and FFVII stuff

A user named cat

No. There is no "regardless" on this matter you scorching faggothole. Turn-based is always the superior choice and FFVII's ATB system was no better or worse than a thousand other JRPG's that have come along. As posted above -- this trailer combat looks just like the lame grabage they used for Crisis Core. I take it you've never played? Hint: it sucks. Majorly. Just part of the Squeenix decline.

Most of us would gladly take the most uninspired, basic, Dragon Warrior-esque, 1980's TB combat over this awesome button garbage. If they're going to go ARPG combat, then take they should take a note from the Tales or Star Ocean games which put combos and skills to maximum use. This banal hybrid shit isn't fun, it's just frantic and a great big cocktease because you'll spend the whole time wishing you could take turns and actually put the menus to proper use, but instead you'll be too busy looking at the sword spark particles and popping moles.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Looks great. I don't even mind that they changed the combat, fully real time combat is fine.
Screen_Shot_2015-05-12_at_3.31.31_PM.png

Perkel

Arcane
No. There is no "regardless" on this matter you scorching faggothole. Turn-based is always the superior choice and FFVII's ATB system was no better or worse than a thousand other JRPG's that have come along. As posted above -- this trailer combat looks just like the lame grabage they used for Crisis Core. I take it you've never played? Hint: it sucks. Majorly. Just part of the Squeenix decline.

Most of us would gladly take the most uninspired, basic, Dragon Warrior-esque, 1980's TB combat over this awesome button garbage. If they're going to go ARPG combat, then take they should take a note from the Tales or Star Ocean games which put combos and skills to maximum use. This banal hybrid shit isn't fun, it's just frantic and a great big cocktease because you'll spend the whole time wishing you could take turns and actually put the menus to proper use, but instead you'll be too busy looking at the sword spark particles and popping moles.

You are retarded. There are no reedeming qualities in FFVII combat. FFVII combat isn't just trash it is one of the worst combat models in jrpg history.
Only interesting part of that system was equipment system-materiaslots but it never went anywhere with this.
This comes from dude who would rather play all his games in TB than real time.

And no most of jrpg TB combat is pure and utter garbage, only few managed to rise above simple combat mechanics.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Even the crappiest TB combat would still be less insufferable than a pure button masher. I love real time games, but those games are MH, DS and DD, not awesome button crap. There is nothing more insulting to the audience than a button masher. At least, even a shitty TB system usually shows signs of "trying" to do something with it. The devs might have failed, but they tried.

Button mashers on the other hand are showing the devs didn't even bother to try and just took the most simplistic approach from the get go and said games are usually only ever played by drooling retards and kids.

Beastro

Arcane
That was hard to watch and I'm not really sure why.

I might've said this before but I think a lot of the retroactive appeal of FFVII is in the PS1 graphics, horrible translation, MIDI music, memories of playing it as a kid etc. Remove all that and you're left with a cringeworthy story straight out of a bad anime in a fairly naff setting with a bunch of characters who are all various degrees of stupid and unlikeable.

Other than the combat, which looks even worse than the already-shit original FF7 combat, there are some semi-interesting ideas there. Blasphemy though it is, an FF6 remake in the same style might actually be really cool.

Voice acting makes me realize why I consider myself lucky to have dropped FF after IX.

Animation doesn't mesh with the voices and leaves things feeling stilted. It fails to connect the two when the older FFs were able to blend text and character actions well to convey emotions, et al.

Actually I know why it doesn't work. The emotive animation fires off, then there's a delay while the mouths are out of view/fail to move much. It gives the feeling, not of voice acting, but of voice over like the two aren't connected. Reminds me of some really cheat cartoons that would be on at times growing up in the 80s.

"Look, I don't care about your politics" sounds like they're trying to put a new, bland, unneeded spin on the dialogue when the old English translation worked fine and conveyed Clouds mercenary sensibilities better because he focused on getting paid.

The music is horrendous.

They've gone too orchestral drowning out the rest. If Advent Child is any indication, what isn't drowned out by an orchestra will be drowned out by a guitar going nuts. What worked with so much of the originals music was how it played to midi's strengths and easily conveyed emotion and atmosphere that really matched the areas you were in or what the characters were thinking/talking about.

Case in point is the music used in the opening of the game, Bombing Mission. The original perfectly conveyed a sense of urgency, danger and derring-do on Cloud and Avalanche's part as you got swept up in an opening that was very much trying to stand apart from the previous top down FFs and dazzle you. None of that is there and what is diluted by a very formal, dull soundtrack.

I also saw they're changing the Mako eyes to some dark green, I guess to try to keep dispelling the idea that Cloud's Caucasian.

Also faux Wesley Snipes as Barret? No thanks! What was bad about what he looked like in the previous game and Advent Child?

You are retarded. There are no reedeming qualities in FFVII combat. FFVII combat isn't just trash it is one of the worst combat models in jrpg history.

Hey, at least it was better than FFVIIIs! Yes, FFVII did set the trend of chain summoning, but at least it didn't have that obnoxious boost feature to increase damage as you sat around watching 2 minute animations play out (The only saving grace of the link system being broken was how it allowed you to largely by pass summoning).

And no most of jrpg TB combat is pure and utter garbage, only few managed to rise above simple combat mechanics.

Anyone defending most JRPGs combat system, keep in mind how their games are paced to encounters from being challenging unless you go out of your way to a place you shouldn't, and only then, win by the usually tricks like insta kills and shits. These were the games I'd excuse when I was young for having crap combat, but were all right nonetheless because they were more like an interactive movie or book where you play for the story.

About the only good that was done with JRPG TB combat was the optional dragon dungeon they added to the end of FFIII since it was stuffed full of high level enemies that remained were challenging and really wore you down as you tried to progress through the place. Also, it did what most JRPGs ignore and actually made you pay attention to things like resistance gear and go in prepared.

Now if only they'd come around to making an entire game that is constantly that hard they wouldn't be junk (that still leaves a massive ton of problems with the combat itself).

Last edited:

Bahamut

Arcane
I hate the retarded AC art style with passion, this is basicaly a remake for retards because muh graphics

That was hard to watch and I'm not really sure why.

I might've said this before but I think a lot of the retroactive appeal of FFVII is in the PS1 graphics, horrible translation, MIDI music, memories of playing it as a kid etc. Remove all that and you're left with a cringeworthy story straight out of a bad anime in a fairly naff setting with a bunch of characters who are all various degrees of stupid and unlikeable.

Exactly my thoughts

A user named cat

Only interesting part of that system was equipment system-materiaslots but it never went anywhere with this.
This comes from dude who would rather play all his games in TB than real time.

One of the worst ever? Exaggerate much? There was nothing inherently wrong with FF7's system, it was just too simplistic and uninspired especially for a game of that magnitude. They really did nothing to build on the prequels when they should've aimed for something more innovative as they did with Vagrant Story or the Saga titles. Sounds like you've barely played anything in your newfag life to make such a silly claim. If you want to see truly poor JRPG combat, then try playing Legend of Legaia, FFXII, Koudelka or The Witcher.

Athelas

Arcane
One of the worst ever? Exaggerate much? There was nothing inherently wrong with FF7's system
It has that active time battle thing which makes mashing attack the superior strategy because it wastes no time. I'm not sure the Final Fantasy developers even really understood the concept of turn-based combat considering they were probably just copying Wizardry, D&D and Dragon Quest.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I knew it would be difficult to digest the change to modern cinematic story telling and 3D action style but now that I saw the preview video I'm even more convinced that {No thanks}

And it looks way too grim dark. Like colors are forbidden now?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I really don't get you there. For one Demon's Souls you have 10 Tales Of/Star Ocean/Evergrace/Terranigma (with average to horrible battle system) and "10 classic FF"/SMT/wizardry/Etrian Odyssey (with average to very good battle system).
What are the recent titles with pure and utter garbage TB combat you've played?
I thought that Blue Dragon/Lost Odyssey/4 heroes of light/Resonance of Fate/Eternal Sonata/Hexyz Force/Elminage Gothic/Valkyria Chronicles (and I don't count pure T-RPGs) all had at least decent combat. Infinite Undiscovery/The witch and the hundred knight/FF12/Fragile Dreams/The Last Story in the other hand all have combat I can barely bear, Star Ocean 4/Tales Of Vesperia battle systems are pleasant mostly because we don't want the same system over and over but they're still nothing to talk about. Only Demon's souls/Dark souls combat systems easily beat your average TB system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom