Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Perkel, Jun 15, 2015.

1. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    :hmmm: They're not pretending anymore, are they?
    It's kinda amusing that the game starts with a plot about freedom fighters dirty terrorists fighting a ridiculously EVIL, short-sighted megacorporation™ that cares about nothing except short-term benefits, when the company producing this is not that different from the one portrayed in the game. In before a 30 $ DLC to get a special mission/sidequest to save Aeris, along with another DLC to gain access to the game's ultimate weapon for every character.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Necroscope Arcane

Necroscope
    Codex 2014
    The original music wasn't in midi, you mean the crappy PC port.

^ Top  
  3. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Won't save you. Its zombie franchises will carry you screaming into the night.

^ Top  
  4. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Whatever it was it's better than this orchestral crap.

^ Top  
  5. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

Hilarious. So you can release a full realized game in 1997, but can't do it in 2016/7? Such bullshit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Red Rogue Learned

Red Rogue
    Officially uninterested.

Typical square. FFXV has been in development hell for years, why did I ever think they could manage to completely remake a game as large as FF7. It seemed like this game was announced because they caved under fan pressure anyways and I knew it was too good to be true.

^ Top  
  7. Elfberserker Liturgist

Elfberserker
    Is it just me or are they using this FF7 remake as some sort of test bed?
    The fame alone quarentees some sale and graphics certainly helps the matter, no matter how bad you think the story, mechanics and music are.

I don't really have problem with episodic content as long as they don't charge something like 60€ each and they actually add content.
    However with recent rising with fucking microsanctions in game, I excpect this will be more platant cash crap than some might orginally believed.

Anyway the most important element hasn't been shown from FF7, The tits and bouncy physic and don't tell me that they are dcl content too.

Edit: Fuck me and my drunk ass.
    I meant as test bed to try capabilites of Ps4.
    I assume they aren't making this for xbox one as well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    ^ Top  
  8. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Nomura wanted to split FFXV in multiple parts too.

^ Top  
  9. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That was Versus XIII m8. :P

I'm going to wait for all the parts and then buy for €14.99.

^ Top  
  10. Gremius Scholar

Gremius
    If by a "crappy port" you mean that it sounds much more clearer, has better instrument recreation, etc., then yes, it's crappy as hell.

Also it's worth to mention that PS1 used Portable Sound Format (PSF) which was pretty similar to MIDI in terms how it works (both are sequenced music formats).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    ^ Top  
  11. Necroscope Arcane

Necroscope
    Codex 2014
    :hmmm:

^ Top  
  12. Gremius Scholar

Gremius
    Well, I gave you two examples. You can check this guy's playlist, he has whole FF VII OST. Almost every track sounds much better on PC with Yamaha synthesizer. If you don't hear it it's not my problem.

Source: http://ngemu.com/threads/creating-psf-psf1-files-from-psx-games-in-2012.149675/

And

Source: http://72.9.148.189/library/PSF2
    So, MIDI takes more time and skill to recreate it properly + need good synthesizer. The one built in Windows is shit.
    And Yamaha synthesizer in many ways was superior to PS1.

Dunno about this one track, but in One Winged Angel vocals were recorded separately and was played simultaneously with PSF music. One more interesting fact- newer Windows systems had problems with playing that track the same way, so many people wrongly assumed that vocals was absent on PC version. AFAIK there are mods that repairs this issue.

^ Top  
  13. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Necroscope Arcane

Necroscope
    Codex 2014
    Cloud's design is rather inconsistent. In Nomura's artworks he looks like a skinny teenager, but in the cutscenes as well as in various 3d renders he seems tougher and more masculine:
    [​IMG]
    Also, during the cross-dressing quest the tailor asked to make a dress responds: "For a tough guy like him?"

His 3d combat sprite doesn't look very skinny either:
    [​IMG]

Maybe I don't hear it then. I never would have thought that the original music has anything in common with midi. Especially that there are many examples of PS1 music that sounds completely "regular":
    Show Spoiler

To name a few.

^ Top  
  15. Shaewaroz Arcane Patron

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    I have to say I love Cloud's desing in the new gameplay trailer - his body tells a story of it's own. If you come across a heavy drug user, you can immediately tell just from looking at his dehydrated, pale and skinny face that something is terribly wrong. Similarly, Cloud's body tells that he's sick - he's still recovering from severe mako poisoning and just a couple of days ago he was barely able to walk.

[​IMG]

Cloud is not your typical cool angsty anime hero, but a person who has been drugged, tortured and broken to a point that he has lost all sense of self. Cloud's body tells this story. To me this design decision shows that there are still some creative people working at Square and that the remake might actually end up pretty decent.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb

You are aware that this character was created in 1997 and not today, the people who are responsible for FF7 are not there either.

^ Top  
  17. Shaewaroz Arcane Patron

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    I meant the character model, which should have been obvious.

^ Top  
  18. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    ?

^ Top  
  19. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Actually, the same key people are involved. Uematsu is p. much the only one who is missing.

^ Top  
  20. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    Didn't the team change ?

^ Top  
  21. Trodat Cipher Patron

Trodat
    Sakaguchi left SE many years ago, but Kitase for example is still there.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    ^ Top  
  22. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    Also Nomura who was the charachter designer. The Art Director Naora is as well. Nojima as well (well freelance but thats been for a long time) Toriyama as well...

In fact most of the people that are responsible for Square's decline worked on it. FFVII was more or less the start of their takeover.

^ Top  
  23. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    They got the art direction down pretty well, yeah. Hopefully the game will be worthwhile if bought once all the episodes are out, or Square decides to backpedal due to the backlash. Either way, won't be buying this on launch if I get it at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Meh, Square is dead to me.

^ Top  
  25. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    FF7 remake producer on why epic remake is epic: http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/final-fantasy-vii-remake-psx-2015-message-yoshinori-kitase

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.