Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Another useless fancy cg trailer. Probably had a bigger budget than the remake itself.
:rpgcodex:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It will have to be a redux version... no fucking way they remake the entire game with modern graphics, that shit was HUGE. Not to mention section such as Cloud cross-dressing and that weird base defense mini-game...

Still, I'm curious to see how this will turn out.

Karellen

Arcane
I keep wondering why this game couldn't be remade along the lines of Ocarina of Time 3D - basically, by touching up the character models and tinkering with a handful of bad design decisions, but basically keeping everything else the same. I mean, it sold well, the fans were happy, everybody was happy. No one complained about it being a cash-in because it was Ocarina of Time, the game widely and only slightly erroneously considered to be the greatest game ever made. Much like Final Fantasy VII, really. So maybe it could be like that? Couldn't it?

Oh, of course it couldn't. Prepare yourselves for Final Fantasy VII: All-Gacktaroth edition. :troll:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
People have been begging for a FF7 remake for ages now. Now I can't wait for the inevitable butthurt when they remove all the goofy fun shit like Cloud dressing up as a girl, going in a steamy bath with a bunch of homosexuals, going on a date with Barrett and basically all the fun mini games from the Golden Saucer. Instead they'll get Final Fantasy Advent Children 7.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
You know, I was just thinking about a Final Fantasy 7 remake the other day and I think that ship has long sailed. Do people even know what Final Fantasy 7 is anymore? I was 9 when it came out and I'm 27 now, but I imagine I'm a good deal younger than most of the people who played it. I mean, most of them have to be in their 30s or even 40s now. Kids and teens these days definitely have not played this game. They have maybe only a slight idea of what it is and will not understand why it's considered so significant. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but I just don't feel like it's relevant anymore. There's a Final Fantasy 15 now.

I like Final Fantasy 7. Midgar is one of my favorite places in video games and I was always disappointed that everything outside is so generic, highlighted by the fact that Midgar is like 15 steps away from the most generic RPG town ever. I never finished it, I'm not even sure what exactly it's about, but I like it and if it comes out on PC I'll try it out.

"This soldier is terrible! Send him a bomb!"

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
People have been begging for a FF7 remake for ages now. Now I can't wait for the inevitable butthurt when they remove all the goofy fun shit like Cloud dressing up as a girl, going in a steamy bath with a bunch of homosexuals, going on a date with Barrett and basically all the fun mini games from the Golden Saucer. Instead they'll get Final Fantasy Advent Children 7.
FFVII is the only game I can think of that got mini games right. I don't remember how many hours I wasted on that snowboard thing...

Bahamut

Arcane
The worst thing that ever happened to Final Fantasy 7 is its fandom.

This, all that extra stuff that came after was total garbage. That "we want a remake" crowd are just graphic whores who cant stand dated looks of the original

FF7 is only good for me due to nostalgia factor, objectively its medicore-meh as Final Fantasy's go.

Malpercio

Arcane
Do people even know what Final Fantasy 7 is anymore?

Most people nowadays think FFVII=AC, DoC, CC stuff.
Hence the cry for a remake with realistic graphic, even though the "realistic" style really goes against shitons of FFVII scenes.

Maldoror

Scholar
Relatively optimistic about this; it may not turn out great, but Final Fantasy XV is really, really terrific - so I wouldn't be surprised if the FFVII remake held a high quality.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm going to eat my proverbial hat if even half the sex jokes make it into the remake.

I don't remember anything emo about FF7. Horror, yes (invading the Shinra complex then *something terrible happens*). Humour, self-irony, cute shit yes (minigames, Chocobos, even main map character models are chibi). Drama, yes (character death, cities getting blown up etc). Epic shit (WEAPONS hell yeah). But emo? Hell no. Like many said already Advent Children was a massive disappointment. I wanted a trip back into childhood and got an unbearable fuckfest instead.
The only emo thing in FF7 got spiky hair, big co..sword, and terrible angst. Though thank god not teenage angst.
I wouldn't call Cloud's issues being emo. He has pretty damn good reasons to be psychologically troubled, and this isn't even thrust into the open (only foreshadowed by his weird "hallucinations" and headaches, and a lot of people talking about this mysterious Zack motherfucker) until roughly two-thirds into the storyline. Cloud was left broken by the destruction of his hometown and the subsequent experiments by Hojo, as well as his already severely wounded self-esteem because he had failed to qualify for SOLDIER. The whole central internal conflict for him was that Cloud couldn't deal with being himself, he hated being Cloud Strife so he pretended he was Zack instead. That's a lot more genuine human element for motivations and character-building than you usually see in games (and it works even through the ramshackle translation). That's the recurring theme with all the party members, and one of the reasons why I think the game has serious legit acclaim for its story aspects, none of them are at peace with who they are and all of them except Aeris are losers of some sort. The story is much more about each of them coming to terms with their past, accepting who they are, and trying again without regrets, rather than saving the world.

I replayed FF7 last year after some sixteen years since the last time when I played through it on the PS1, and I was really taken aback that it's actually still a top-shelf quality game, and a whole lot better in all respects than I remembered (this time I also gained a whole new appreciation for its combat system).

Do people even know what Final Fantasy 7 is anymore?

Most people nowadays think FFVII=AC, DoC, CC stuff.
Hence the cry for a remake with realistic graphic, even though the "realistic" style really goes against shitons of FFVII scenes.
It's even doubly erronous to go for that artstyle because modern cel-shading could really do justice to the original anime visuals.

Honestly, games that go for a stylized artstyle instead of attempting photorealism always look better and age the best.

Lerk

Learned
I'll start giving a shit about this obsession with remakes when Capcom announce Dragon's Dogma PC Ultimate HD Remake Turbo Bastard Bonus Content Suck on that Consolefags Edition, and not a moment before. :roll:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The fucking Compilation of Final Fantasy 7 was the absolute worst thing to happen to Final Fantasy 7. It took a fairly concise, simple story and bloated it into this overly complicated mess filled with anime pretty boy villains (seriously, fuck Genesis). They're not just awful, they're worse than awful because they retroactively make Final Fantasy 7 shitty just by existing.

Vaarna_Aarne

Only if one allows them to impose themselves on your copy and memories of Final Fantasy 7. Unless they destroy every original version of Final Fantasy 7, they are ultimately powerless to truly change it. The fact Symphonie des Grauens is now available as commercial digitally restored blu-ray editions should illustrate that Squeenix is going to lose that battle.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
It will have to be a redux version... no fucking way they remake the entire game with modern graphics, that shit was HUGE. Not to mention section such as Cloud cross-dressing and that weird base defense mini-game...

Still, I'm curious to see how this will turn out.

This.

Kind of excited about this... FF7 was a huge game in my childhood and a proper remake would be interesting to experience.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Original FF7 still wins the best music in almost any game i've played. I wonder how much they'll butcher it.
Prep for a shitty orchestral remix
Some helpful... Person on Youtube already pieced it together from Crisis Core:

Anyway, Uematsu's soundtrack for FF7 is probably the point in gaming history where it was shown to large non-gaming audiences that vidya gaems can have great music even with limited technology.

Lerk

Learned
Hmmm. I've had Crisis Core on my HDD for ages (God bless emulation). Worth a play? What little I've dicked around with it, it felt like an arcade slasher interspersed with an overabundance of cutsceness. Not what I was expecting at all.

TBH I've not bothered with Final Fantasy since 9, which was the last one I really enjoyed. I did get some way through 10, though not even Lulu's impressive cleavage was enough to get me to finish it :oops:

Lulu_FFX_by_lithriel.jpg

:desu::bounce:

Lerk

Learned
Tangentenial: if you're gonna cosplay Lulu, make sure you can pull it off:

lulu_ffx_wip2_by_sammy_aka_sicero-d4739cs.jpg

lulu_ffx_by_sammy_aka_sicero-d48yvjk.jpg

lulu_ffx_cosplay_3_by_noilok-d3ffghb.jpg

:abyssgazer:

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The fucking Compilation of Final Fantasy 7 was the absolute worst thing to happen to Final Fantasy 7. It took a fairly concise, simple story and bloated it into this overly complicated mess filled with anime pretty boy villains (seriously, fuck Genesis). They're not just awful, they're worse than awful because they retroactively make Final Fantasy 7 shitty just by existing.

Oh no...oh no...

I forgot the G-Man existed.

If they have not already forgotten he existed (Which I wouldn't be surprised, considering how much they hyped him and then halted everything after the Compilation), he's going to be brought up in this remake.

Genesis will be brought up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom