Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Machocruz

Arcane
So you're saying the systems weren't complex enough to make use of the advantages of being turn-based (having time to deliberate on your turn)? Thanks for making my point for me.
I already implied in this same thread that FF7 combat was simplistic dogshit. What I'm saying is your standard for twitch is lower than mine. Git some help for that arthritis, codger.

Athelas

Arcane
So you're saying the systems weren't complex enough to make use of the advantages of being turn-based (having time to deliberate on your turn)? Thanks for making my point for me.
I already implied in this same thread that FF7 combat was simplistic dogshit. What I'm saying is your standard for twitch is lower than mine. Git some help for that arthritis, codger.
You might want to actually read my posts before throwing out the insults. 'Twitch elements' referred to some of the timing elements (press an extra button at the right time for the attack animations). That is separate from the real-time element, which encourages you to simply choose auto-attack for every battle instead of taking precious time to scroll down a list of dozens of spells/items while enemies continue to attack (in theory anyway, the games are easy enough that this isn't really a problem).

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
They only need 1 thing not to fuck it up.

Combat needs to be exactly same, as Final fantasy series and especialy 7 is heavily combat oriented. Combat is like 70% of the game.
The first second you start the game, you have combat.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize just how good that whole crossdressing Wall Market segment was. You have a squatting contest with burly dudes for a wig. I can't wait to see a burly guy's rippling thighs as his ass hovers above the ground in full HD.

Man, all of Midgar is just so good but Wall Market takes the cake.

I liked the weird shit in early FF7. It takes a truly mad mind to take a cross dressing quest and turn every branch of it completely insane.

Man, I did not even know what the hell the Honeybee Inn was when I played it as a kid.

Machocruz

Arcane
You might want to actually read my posts before throwing out the insults. 'Twitch elements' referred to some of the timing elements (press an extra button at the right time for the attack animations).

I was being cheeky. I really don't remember anything besides the usual ATB in that particular FF. Did Limit Breaks have timed button presses, or was that 10's Overdrives?

Combat needs to be exactly same, as Final fantasy series and especialy 7 is heavily combat oriented. Combat is like 70% of the game.

If that is the case, don't you want the combat to be better, more developed?

Ninjerk

Arcane
You might want to actually read my posts before throwing out the insults. 'Twitch elements' referred to some of the timing elements (press an extra button at the right time for the attack animations).

I was being cheeky. I really don't remember anything besides the usual ATB in that particular FF. Did Limit Breaks have timed button presses, or was that 10's Overdrives?

Tifa's had the slot machine.

Malpercio

Arcane
Cloud's crossdressing segment will be interesting too.

DPoWb.jpg

Lighting cameo confirmed for FFVII Remake.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
The Legend of Dragoon has a combat system built on timed attacks, should definitely check it out if you like that sort of stuff.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So... don't use her? You have like 7 other party members.

I also don't see how the time it takes to scroll down your list of like 6 spells (It's not like you equipped a ton of magic materia you didn't need at random right?) is a serious problem. There's more than enough time to plan out your turn while the bar fills/attack animations play.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

No, because they will fuck it up. It just needs to be the same.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, so they finally decided they don't hate money anymore. People have been begging for FF7 to be remade for years! :bounce:

Although I can easily see them cutting some of the more interesting bits, changing the combat system and adding bad voice acting (which is probably a given anyway) so I suppose it might still end up sucking.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I seem to recall that the game's options had a number of settings for ATB, one of which stopped time bars from filling while you were navigating menus.

Also, there was no pressing stuff during attack animations (with the sole exception of Tifa's Slot Reel Limit Break), that was FF8 where you did that every single time you used normal attack with Squall.

Damned Registrations

The timed attacks were easily the least retarded part of FF8 combat. Cycling turns to get limit breaks, spamming GF attacks to murder everything with no danger at all, spending ~300 turns drawing magic from some boss because you hadn't seen it before and it might be a huge stat boost you can't get elsewhere... all that shit was fucking terrible.

Machocruz

Arcane
I think Athela's point was that FF has been real- time-with-twitch-aspect long before this popamole age. Not a complaint, an observation.

These are gimmicks to me, to make these things feel more action packed and urgent for the "go faster" people in the audience. I never felt like another layer of substance had been added.

Damned Registrations

I always felt like it was mostly a mechanic that enabled things like haste and slow status effects, which work a lot better in the ATB system. The wait mode was added in 5 or 6 I think, so only 1 or 2 of the games ever forced you to be speedy about navigating the item menu (which is really a non issue if you have hands.)

Machocruz

Arcane
Oh, I am looking forward to this. For graphics whoring purposes... I kind of... like the Advent Children aesthetic. Mitra save me.

Machocruz

Arcane
I like it for the Midgar industrial sectors and the outer wastes. Areas like the place with the gay bodybuilders/Cloud crossdressing and Golden Saucer should be more colorful, of course.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I like it for the Midgar industrial sectors and the outer wastes. Areas like the place with the gay bodybuilders/Cloud crossdressing and Golden Saucer should be more colorful, of course.
My first thought was character design, which of course is sad-Tifa, downcast-Cloud, smirking-idiot villains (who cares what their names are), etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom