Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Nobody has ever used the term "remake" to mean "different game with the same characters and vague similarities in the plot", this is retarded even for contrarians
Maybe because we're used to getting remastered versions instead of actual remakes.
What's your definition of a remake ?

It's a reboot not a remake
It doesn't make sense. You can reboot a franchise by remaking one of its episode, or by going for something completely new. Prey 2017, RE2 and Warcraft 3 Reforged can all be considered reboots in that regard.
I don't see how reboot and remake would be mutually exclusive.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Basically, FF7 is pulling both a reverse MGS 2 and an Evangelion.

It's fine. It makes sure none replaces the other. For the team, it avoids comparisons with how one is better than the other, and it allows them out of creative frustrations by giving them freedom to do what they want, while remaining in the FF7 universe. For the players, it gives them both what they want, a full on FF7 remake until leaving Midgar, and then surprises for what's coming next.

Everything. Is. Alright. There is no need to be upset.

So far, I have heard only good things about FF7 remake. Most of these things are not about how it sticks closely to the original game, but how it's a good game on its own. There is, so far, no reason to think the sequels will be terrible. They might be. Square has screwed up in the past. But you can't tell from what you have.

At least, they have picked my interest.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Here's How *I* would have done this game.

Everything proceeds as normal, everything ever. When you get to Shinra HQ you get captured and placed in confinement, then wake up, there's blood everywhere and you follow a trail of it. You get to President Shinra, you see him dead, Masamune sticking in him and all, but even more than that... you see Sephiroth dead too. Not just dead, but Sephiroth is fucking annihilated. Like he got torn apart into M rated levels of gore. No coming back from that levels of destruction. You're like, "uh wait what?" Then before you can even grasp what's happening JENOVA comes crashing in in all her T posing glory and it's revealed she's gone ROGUE and is taking this Remake into her own hands. She never talks as a direct voice, only as some crazy shit in Cloud's head but the first thing 'she says' is this...

"I'm the daddy now."

From there the whole game drops Sephiroth entirely, he doesn't matter anymore, you get a Kalm flashback that reinforces Sephiroth was just a dipshit jobber that was really good at killing mooks but existed purely as a vehicle to help Jenova escape. Once she has, she decides to toss him away like the trash he is. The game proceeds with Jenova as the big threat that wants to kill everybody that breathes. Aeris still dies, but she dies even more horrifically because Jenova hates thots and Ancients and baby, Aeris is two-for-two on that front!

HansDampf

Arcane
Remaster: The same game but with high resolution rendered backgrounds, updated 3D models, keeping the style intact. New FMVs. Same combat system with some qol features, better UI, maybe some balance changes or extras here and there. Optional remastered soundtrack.

Remake: The same game but built from the ground up with modern graphics and assets. So, no more pre-rendered backgrounds. Same story, but now with shitty voice acting. Same combat system, but with some alterations like replacing random encounters with avoidable/forced encounters, some new weapons, spells, etc. or even more fundamental changes. But it would still be classic TB combat with materia system.

Reboot: This game. Doom 2016. Star Trek 2009.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remaster: The same game but with high resolution rendered backgrounds, updated 3D models, keeping the style intact. New FMVs. Same combat system with some qol features, better UI, maybe some balance changes or extras here and there. Optional remastered soundtrack.

Remake: The same game but built from the ground up with modern graphics and assets. So, no more pre-rendered backgrounds. Same story, but now with shitty voice acting. Same combat system, but with some alterations like replacing random encounters with avoidable/forced encounters, some new weapons, spells, etc. or even more fundamental changes. But it would still be classic TB combat with materia system.

Reboot: This game. Doom 2016. Star Trek 2009.

You could put it under "Reimagining", which is between Remake and Reboot.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
-promise a faithful remake in interviews and presentations
-bait and switch, it's actually a compilation pseudo-sequel
-"hurr durr why are you mad, remake doesn't mean remake, FF7 doesn't mean FF7, I always knew I wanted a sequel even though I was hyped for the expectation of a 1:1 remake all these years"

Never seen so much shilling and damage control on the internet

alighieri

Educated
Basically, FF7 is pulling both a reverse MGS 2 and an Evangelion.

It's fine. It makes sure none replaces the other. For the team, it avoids comparisons with how one is better than the other, and it allows them out of creative frustrations by giving them freedom to do what they want, while remaining in the FF7 universe. For the players, it gives them both what they want, a full on FF7 remake until leaving Midgar, and then surprises for what's coming next.

Everything. Is. Alright. There is no need to be upset.

So far, I have heard only good things about FF7 remake. Most of these things are not about how it sticks closely to the original game, but how it's a good game on its own. There is, so far, no reason to think the sequels will be terrible. They might be. Square has screwed up in the past. But you can't tell from what you have.

At least, they have picked my interest.

This. Nothing is taken away from anyone. If you want to experience the original or indulge in nostalgia, play FF7 from 1997. If you want to experience a reimagining of Final Fantasy 7, a faster and more dynamic battle system, play the remake. I never expected a 1:1 remake but a decent game which SE definitely delivered, nontheless of what some autists on RPG Codex might say.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The truth is this, JRPGs work better when they try to appeal more to Western audiences while maintaining their stylistic choices. JRPGs become real dogshit when they indulge in the lunacy of anime. I'm not talking Berserk or Vampire Hunter D style of anime where you can at least rock with it still because it focuses on cool shit, I'm talking that anime that makes you feel like you're the only white guy in an Asian restaurant and have no idea what the fuck anything on the menu means.

FF7 Remake here veers into that latter portion of JRPGs. It's one of those games that nerdy as shit white dudes who try to speak Japanese and insist on using the Japanese VA like. It's not a badass game that happens to have a Japanese look to it.

This. Final Fantasy has always been the less-weeb JRPG franchise when compared to more weeb franchises like Persona or Dragon Quest. The FFVII Remake has gone full weeb. Just look at how the characters fucking speak and move.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
ITT: people who are mad that the remake isn't the same game they played in their childhood

fans of a franchise are the most retarded people ever and the reason why a franchise turns to shit. I hope Square shits more on these kind of people

I hope some thing you like is destroyed.

flyingjohn

Arcane
ITT: people who are mad that the remake isn't the same game they played in their childhood

fans of a franchise are the most retarded people ever and the reason why a franchise turns to shit. I hope Square shits more on these kind of people

I hope some thing you like is destroyed.

i want to drink your tears faggot

A newfag calling somebody a faggot while wanting to drink another man's liquid.
Good job.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well credit where credit is due, as an exercise in trolling this is a 10/10. This remake bought back my nostalgia for a game I thought I had mostly moved on from then proceeded to violently rape and mutilate it whilst feasting on my childhood fanboi tears. Game journos and cucks lavishing praise further rubs salt in the wounds.

But the trolling is not over, still 2 parts to go! And the genius of time traveling ghosts bs is that while I also predict Aerith is going to be saved, they might actually pull of a double troll and kill her anyways to make the time ghosts plotline irrelevant (seriously what other major event in the story is there to mess with? It HAS to be Aerith or bust). So trolling both ff7 purists and those who waited 20 years to save their waifu in one masterstroke, “looking forward” to seeing which way they go.

I expect something along the lines of showing the player an alternate timeline where Aerith does live, and how her living somehow leads to a bad ending, so she HAS to die, but gsdhgjdhfjghdfh she lives anyway and everyone is saved.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
let me quote the prestigous well of wisdom wikipedia here:
A remake is a production of a film, television series, video game, or similar form of entertainment that is based upon an earlier production. A remake tells the same story as the original but uses a different cast and may alter the theme or target audience.

so I am not sure what you are basing your opinion on but i'm pretty clear it's not objective. Don't get me wrong here, wikipedia has the same problem with this topic, look at the talk page and you will see that they are debating this shit just like anyone else.

The real issue here is that it actually did not come with a warning, which is exactly why the audience reacts like this. That the story would fully diverge was never mentioned, therefore a backlash is unavoidable and in my eyes also warranted.

I've been comparing FF7R with Terminator Genysis for the last few days on 4chan. No one gave a shit, but perhaps it will be different here.

Terminator Genysis looks like a remake at first. It expands on the original without contradicting it. You may or may not like these changes, but for the most part they make sense.

Then you get to this scene:

Again, faithful to the original. Until Pops appears, and then this film decidedly leaves "remake" territory into "another film in the franchise" territory, which is fine since Genisys was never advertised as an actual remake (nor a reboot, because there's continuity with the other films in the franchise, as flimsy as it may be). That is exactly what Final Fantasy VII Remake does, except it advertised itself as a "remake" even when it clearly follows event established in other media that didn't exist in 1997: Crisis Core, Advent Children, and who knows what the fuck else.

Delterius

Arcane
Again, faithful to the original. Until Pops appears, and then this film decidedly leaves "remake" territory into "another film in the franchise" territory, which is fine since Genisys was never advertised as an actual remake (nor a reboot, because there's continuity with the other films in the franchise, as flimsy as it may be). That is exactly what Final Fantasy VII Remake does, except it advertised itself as a "remake" even when it clearly follows event established in other media that didn't exist in 1997: Crisis Core, Advent Children, and who knows what the fuck else.
The weird thing is that I'm pretty sure the core audience for this remake, if there really is one, would be fine with their expanded universe crap being loaded into FF7. Advent Children was shiiiit but Square's fans definitely liked Crisis Core.

Dementor ghosts flying around and serving as a passive aggressive commentary about how much Nomura doesn't want to do a remake is just, man, I nearly died of laughter.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So Nomura managed to fuck everything up again? who would have though lmao
QaZdMCpd_400x400.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom