Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Yosharian

Arcane
And I'm not even an FF hater, I like 7 for fuck's sake.

You say that like it's shameful. The game was a massive hit for good reason. I remember when it became popular to hate FF7 in certain dark corners, I never did sheepishly join that bandwagon. I replayed all the classics recently (with difficulty hacks) and FF7 came out on top for me. There's a lot to love, especially once the difficulty is appropriate w/hack.
I dunno, it is a little shameful to admit that on the Codex haha.

Let's just say I love it despite it's flaws and leave it at that.

Ash

Arcane
The series peaked from IV to VII

IV is overrated to Chrono Trigger proportions. Worse even, Chrono Trigger is better than it. IV has absolutely nothing that sets it apart from the rest as a game. As a story sure, go ahead an like it for that if you must. But the game side of things is complete trash they intentionally streamlined over the already barebones three games that came before it. I can only assume people that like it do so because it was their first exposure to the series. It's just too barebones to enjoy, and a classic example of why JRPGs as a whole get a lot of unfair flack. You do absolutely nothing in that game. Fucking Pokemon has 10x more depth. Lumping it with the actual good games in the series that are that much more engaging makes no sense.

I also assume you've not played FFIX, It's undeniably a classic. FF8 sure it's a love it or hate it game, but 9 even if not my personal favourite is obvious peak series quality.

Yosharian said:
I dunno, it is a little shameful to admit that on the Codex haha.

People that don't like reliable good old fashioned fun? Don't wanna know them. Sounds like a miserable existence.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Back to shame: the one it's shameful yet understandable to admit to liking is FFX-2. Sphere grid was fun.

X had the sphere grid. X-2 had the dress sphere system. X-2 only needed two changes and I would have loved it.

1) Have an option for actual real turn based instead of that atb crap or whatever they called it

2) Make Paine a cute girl like the rest of the cast instead of an ugly dyke thing

Duraframe300

Arcane
9, 6 and Tactics are my absolute favorite games in the franchise and the reason I absolutly respect Hironobu Sakaguchi as a creative director for a big company. He was a master at putting projects and staff together and overseeing them. (I still marvel at him putting the Tactics team together purely for *Dream Team* reasons. That kind of thinking usually falls flat, yet he pulled it off) Even if personal projects could fail him.

The moment Square lost this was the moment of their full decline.

JDR13

Arcane

IV is overrated to Chrono Trigger proportions. Worse even, Chrono Trigger is better than it. IV has absolutely nothing that sets it apart from the rest as a game. As a story sure, go ahead an like it for that if you must. But the game side of things is complete trash they intentionally streamlined over the already barebones three games that came before it. I can only assume people that like it do so because it was their first exposure to the series. It's just too barebones to enjoy, and a classic example of why JRPGs as a whole get a lot of unfair flack. You do absolutely nothing in that game. Fucking Pokemon has 10x more depth. Lumping it with the actual good games in the series that are that much more engaging makes no sense.

I also assume you've not played FFIX, It's undeniably a classic. FF8 sure it's a love it or hate it game, but 9 even if not my personal favourite is obvious peak series quality.

Nope. You're wrong on all assumptions there. I've been playing FF since the original NES release of FF1, and I finished all of them until FFX. You obviously don't care for FF IV or Chrono Trigger. Cool, but I'm pretty sure you're in the minority there.

I found FFIX overrated with its Disney-like characters and generic fantasy story, but like your opinions of FF IV and Chrono Trigger, it's just personal preference. I'd rather play the SNES era games than replay anything from VIII onwards.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Nope. You're wrong on all assumptions there. I've been playing FF since the original NES release of FF1, and I finished all of them until FFX. You obviously don't care for FF IV or Chrono Trigger. Cool, but I'm pretty sure you're in the minority there.

I found FFIX overrated with its Disney-like characters and generic fantasy story, but like your opinions of FF IV and Chrono Trigger, it's just personal preference. I'd rather play the SNES era games than replay anything from VIII onwards.

Wut, I would have understood if you meant it visually, but generic fantasy story really diesn't seem like you played IX. Theres literal genocide happening relativly early on for christs sake.

JDR13

Arcane

Wut, I would have understood if you meant it visually, but generic fantasy story really diesn't seem like you played IX.

Generic by FF standards. There was nothing about it that stood out to me. I get that it was supposed to be a return to the series roots, but to me it just seemed bland after the settings in VI, VII, and VIII.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
IV was awesome when it was my first FF game playing it on an emulator as a teenager. I wouldn't want to play it now. I did manage to finish the remake on DS though. IX is definitely overrated. I've gotten close to the end, got bored, then quit multiple times. VI is also overrated. I always get bored and quit after Kefka destroys the world. Come to think of it, the only ones I could stomach to the end were III, IV, V, VII, and X and out of those I only really think VII is great. The first one would maybe be one of the greats if the classes were balanced better but they never got the balance right in the original or any of the remakes. X had great mechanics but I didn't like the story or characters.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Wut, I would have understood if you meant it visually, but generic fantasy story really diesn't seem like you played IX.

Generic by FF standards.
Even then its not, it uses a shitload of FF homages, but thats about it. Not to mention in stark contrast to its cutsey charachters (a contrast which is part of its charm) it features some of the darkest plotlines in the entire series. Multiple Genocides, Vivi whos basically dead man walking, human controlled slave factories hyding behind idyllic towns on that note, biological warfare and so on and so on.

Saying its generic by FF standards can only be if you haven't actually played the game.

JDR13

Arcane

Generic by FF standards.
Even then its not, it uses a shitload of FF homages, but thats about it. Not to mention in stark contrast to its cutsey charachters (a contrast which is part of its charm) it features some of the darkest plotlines in the entire series. Multiple Genocides, Vivi whos basically dead man walking, human controlled slave factories hyding behind idyllic towns on that note, biological warfare and so on and so on.

Saying its generic by FF standards can only be if you haven't actually played the game.

How many times are you going to suggest that I must not have played the game because I don't have the same opinion as you?

Sorry, but I thought those cutesy characters that you found so charming sucked. They look like Pixar castoffs, and I didn't find anything charming about them. The generic Disney knight, the androgynous wizard, etc, did nothing for me whatsoever.

You liked it, I didn't. We all have different taste. Get over it.

Ash

Arcane
How they "look" is not what they actually are though. I agree when you really think about it FF9 has a cast that will give a furry a horse-sized hard-on and that's kind of off putting, but the game's actual story, themes, events are actually rather dark and the character design upon first impression kind of misrepresents the content of the game.

Just saying "I don't like it cause characters look gay" is exactly something someone who hasn't really played it would say. Any true FF fan which you claim to be would say "Holy fuck the combat is soooo slow in comparison to pretty much every other game in the series", which is my main issue with the game. :smug:

IV was awesome when it was my first FF game playing it on an emulator as a teenager. I wouldn't want to play it now.

Good man. Someone that developed standards and expectations in gameplay and can recognise IV being heavily streamlined boring junk.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Just saying "you must not have actually played it" is exactly something a butthurt fan who can't handle a different opinion would say.

Ash

Arcane
I don't totally believe you did not. I'm suspect, but people do indeed like different things. Even if one does not like it its quality as a FF entry is undeniable however. It's like ....lets say Mean Girls. The movie is totally not my thing, I don't like it, but I recognise it as a quality movie and would never claim it to be bad.

JDR13

Arcane
Even if one does not like it its quality as a FF entry is undeniable however. It's like ....lets say Mean Girls. The movie is totally not my thing, I don't like it, but I recognise it as a quality movie and would never claim it to be bad.

:notsureifserious:

Ash

Arcane
Mean Girls is all that came to my head, fuck off.

Perhaps the Lord of the Rings Trilogy then. It's well produced, beautiful, lengthy, action-filled. But something about Tolkien, I guess at this point its "generic" fantasy even though its among the OG stuff. Its less exciting, varied and interesting fantasy to me compared to something like the Final Fantasy series. 9 is perfect for comparison.

JDR13

Arcane
Perhaps the Lord of the Rings Trilogy then. It's well produced, beautiful, lengthy, action-filled. But something about Tolkien, I guess at this point its "generic" fantasy even though its among the OG stuff. Its less exciting, varied and interesting fantasy to me compared to something like the Final Fantasy series. 9 is perfect for comparison.

I can agree with that comparison, and that's not a compliment to the game.

JDR13

Arcane
'FFIX has generic characters' must be one of the all-time bad takes

Considering we were talking about FF12 whose characters are pretty much made out of cardboard...

That's interesting since no one here actually said that.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Considering we were talking about FF12 whose characters are pretty much made out of cardboard...

You said *generic fantasy story*. And considering that with around 3 exceptions the main charachters are very invoven with the story, you basically do say that.

Also please give me all the FF comparisons to everything about the Black Mage village, Dali, Burmecia, the Ilfa Tree massacre,.... and so on since its soooo generic. Not even speaking of the charachters here.

I accept I didn't like FF9 or I didn't like the story. Saying FF9 is somehow the most generic FF is absolute bullshit however. Thats why there are doubts of you having played it.

Ash

Arcane
Hell they even copied their own shit. Ashe = Blond Yuna

Now I'm actually remembering playing FF12 and how disappointed I was in it. Even though it's grindy MMO shit its gameplay is still way more engaging than anything 13 onwards though.

On topic: I hate how the public consciousness replaces the classic solid OG game with this "remake" nonsense. If you want a good time, original with hardtype mod is that way. If you want derivative, misrepresentitive filler-filled shit, remake is for you you fucking baboon. But hey, it has "pretty graphics and the original looks like shit", so there's that.
I don't get that either. The original is a work of art. So the models are lame and the battle graphics suck, but FF7R just looks like every other modern game now and isn't a treat for the eyes in the same way this is:
m7HMNXk.gif

tumblr_mv1swldQXd1qjkjzuo1_1280.gif

oADRgvz.gif

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

You said *generic fantasy story*. And considering that with around 3 exceptions the main charachters are very invoven with the story, you basically do say that.

Also please give me all the FF comparisons to everything about the Black Mage village, Dali, Burmecia, the Ilfa Tree massacre,.... and so on since its soooo generic. Not even speaking of the charachters here.

I accept I didn't like FF9 or I didn't like the story. Saying FF9 is somehow the most generic FF is absolute bullshit however. Thats why there are doubts of you having played it.

You really are quite the butthurt fanboy, aren't you?

I said "Disney-like" characters. How interwoven they are with the story has nothing to do with that. Don't make shit up in a lame attempt to put words in my mouth. Being dishonest only makes you look even more butthurt.

You should really just accept that not everyone has the same taste. You might save yourself some anguish that way.

Duraframe300

Arcane

You really are quite the butthurt fanboy, aren't you?

I said "Disney-like" characters. How interwoven they are with the story has nothing to do with that. Don't make shit up in a lame attempt to put words in my mouth. Being dishonest only makes you look even more butthurt.

You should really just accept that not everyone has the same taste. You might save yourself some anguish that way.

Didn't adress my points, handwaved argument.

:lol:

Yeah, I'm actually pretty sure now. Ok then, good for you.

JDR13

Arcane
That's pretty funny. I'm not going to write an essay because some little faggot is angry that I don't like his favorite game.

If you're done pouting now we can move on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom